Thinking out loud about an 02 magnum build.

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Well I guess an update may be necessary. Secured a 03( I believe ) r/t head and working mag intake with butterflies and MTV motor. It's gonna be port and polished and the intake will be gasket matched to the head. That's all I got for now but there is your update for now
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 am

RobsProjectSOHC wrote:all i know is definitely aem cam gear. mine fit in without having to modify the case.
I have the AEM cam gear as well, but I cut out a section on my outside case so I can access the cam gear and make adjustments relatively easily.
Jerome

'03 SXT...DODGE NEON CONES

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #067

gearbanger4
2GN Member

Post by gearbanger4 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:52 pm

D-railed - check the side of the head by the t-stat housing area and you will see big letters "r/t" stamped into the head.

Also, I just finished a mag intake, ported all the way through. gasket matched port side to head and also inbetween top and bottom halves of the intake (with a 2.5 inch inlet welded on in place of the stock). Took forever! I am no expert at porting an polishing, and probably could have done it quicker with better technique and more use of a cutting lubricant. If you are using a burr to cut aluminum, I would suggest using wd-40 or equivalent to help remove material. I am now doing that porting my mag head and the metal is coming of like butter!

Good luck, sounds like you have a solid "street" build mapped out. FYI, I just bought an ACR and if you need some parts let me know. Cam/springs/ mag header etc....
2004 Dodge Neon SXT 5 speed - DD
2002 Dodge Neon ACR

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 pm

I didn't read through the whole thread, but I also recommend the Comp 400. It's the best cam for a dd. Awesome torque band and low end due to no overlap. I wouldn't bother with the 12. Man, if you think that cam screams above 5000k, you should have ridden in my Crane 005 car when I cranked it out to 9k.

I wouldn't bother with new valves, springs or Ti retainers. Stick with the stock retainers and mag springs. It'll be find for 7200.

Oh, and that UDP will throw a CEL on a 2002. It happened on mine, but I didn't notice any effects from it.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

gearbanger4
2GN Member

Post by gearbanger4 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 am

oh yeah, I would recommend the 400 cam for your setup also.

It is claimed to be specifically made for the mag head, and there is less overlap and duration than the 14 cam if I remember correctly. I was going to go with the comp 400 cam, but since there is/was a chance I would put nitrous on the car one day I wanted to have more duration etc.
2004 Dodge Neon SXT 5 speed - DD
2002 Dodge Neon ACR

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks guys. I have already acquired a mag head and am paying someone on here who actually has some PnP skills and experience to do so to the head. I hear ya guys on the 400 and keep hearing the same thing from everyone else so, I will probably go with a 400 as well. At the moment I have decided to leave the bottom end stock until its time for boost....then we're going .020 over and forged :rockon: Thanks for all the input and keep it coming!!!
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”