2001 R/T ... More Power ??

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu May 30, 2013 12:12 am

want more power swap it.....

As far as head max you can deck is 30, once decked if warps its a throwaway...I don't reccomend.

Going high compresion on single cam worth maybe 20 hp......

20hp for $1200 in just parts isn't cost effective unless your main goal is durability.

Either swap or p&p head, add a comp 400 ( which you already did )and call it a day.
If the parts car is cleaner rust wise than your car, swap the inner dash panels (VIN) and use the parts car with your title.
But don't street race..!!??

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:28 am

chew* wrote:want more power swap it.....

As far as head max you can deck is 30, once decked if warps its a throwaway...I don't reccomend.

Going high compresion on single cam worth maybe 20 hp......

20hp for $1200 in just parts isn't cost effective unless your main goal is durability.

Either swap or p&p head, add a comp 400 ( which you already did )and call it a day.
You can go .040, there was a guy with a 1gn that went .050 with a crane 14 with no issues. When he added the crane 5 it had problems and blew up.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am

Didn't Arthur on the other .org go .070" when he was experimenting, on a cheap way to bump to ?11.5:1? IIRC, he didn't have any immediate issues with that. I think there was also piston work too, but I seem to recall the head held up fine with that much removed.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Arthur had to shape his pistons at .070". With the .050" mill it worked fine with a crane 14 and stock SOHC block. Only made 177whp like that :roll:.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:28 pm

Sure the head will hold up but shit happens sometime, one over heat can ruin your day or month for that matter.

Also once you add a "real" port into mix your playing with fire the more you take away. If it was steel head id say shred it but aluminum ehh not so frisky myself.

Adding a cam, ported intake, exhaust without porting head is pointless also.

At that point since block is steel I'd deck block over head and rework head if needed if i wanted higher compression that bad.

Many ways to do it.

I'd settle with 160 HP and be happy.....20 more hp not gonna do much for these cars except maybe kill them faster.

Either way the 2.4 swap has more potential and more power out of the box.

I only like the single cam due to reliability myself....least mine is even though its sounded like a diesel for 2 years +
If the parts car is cleaner rust wise than your car, swap the inner dash panels (VIN) and use the parts car with your title.
But don't street race..!!??

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”