Looking for more "usable" power

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
tniemuth95
n00b

Looking for more "usable" power

Post by tniemuth95 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Hey guys I have a 2000 2.0L atx neon. I'm looking for more "usable" power, and when I say usable I mean ~2-3k rev range. Obviously being an automatic its gonna be tough and being a 3speed yes I can manually shift it but I'd rather not drive around at 4-5k rpm all day. I'm on a limited budget of about $500.
Couple options I've considered:
-Head swap
-Intake swap
-New exhaust (entire system)
-60mm TB
The car is pretty much stock right now with the exception of new plugs and wires and a CAI. I'd like to stay away from a tranny or engine swap as its a little above my expertise. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:23 pm

IMO, if your considering a head swap, a tranny swap isn't much more complicated... If at all... It'd be worth lookin into..
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000004... or not..

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:39 pm

About the only reasonable way you will get more power at that RPM range, is to do a 2.4 N/A swap. Or boost.

You want more torque, more or less. Getting more bottom end torque with simple bolt ons isn't going to be simple. Most aftermarket stuff is geared towards 3000 and up, because that is where a better part of rhe demand is, and it is the easier choice.

You would need to have an IM with smaller diameter/longer runners less valve lift, ect. A tractor engine. But you also don't have tractor gearing.

The 2.4 has a longer stroke, thus it naturally makes more torque.

If you did a 2.4 swap, with a 60mm TB, your daily run of the mill part throttle driving would be much more enjoyable. The 2.4 would also bolt to your ATX. The "hardest" part would be sourcing the different brackets, manifolds, etc, but they are not scarce by any means. Just a little effort and time. Swapping the engine isn't really much more difficult, if not easier than swapping a head. You just need different tools. :lol:
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Under drive pulley will give you the best bang for the buck in the low end. The stock intake manifold is best for low end torque.

Aside from that, uppping the compression and sticking with the stock cam will give you more low end as well. Either DOHC oem pistons or 10.5:1 forged would be what you're looking for.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

silverneontuner
2GN Member

Post by silverneontuner » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:23 am

a small turbo.

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”