Maybe dumb questions but.....

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
TomsNeon
2GN Member

Maybe dumb questions but.....

Post by TomsNeon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:43 am

I'm new here and have questions so please bear with me if they seem dumb, I honestly don't know so I'm asking you all.

My bone stock 2000 Neon will need a new engine soon (197K miles) and while I want to add a CAI and a less restrictive exhaust on it (it's my daily driver), what kind of exhaust should I put on when it's at the shop? Just a less restrictive muffler or the whole 9 yards with a cat back system? If so, what brand?

What brand of header should I get for it as well? Also been thinking of a turbo but not sure yet especially for just a daily driver.

Any type of pistons, cam, etc for a daily driver with just a little more "oomph" than stock provides? I'm not looking to race it or anything, I like to baby my cars but when I need to or want to, I want to MOVE if you know what I mean.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated and thank you all ahead of time!

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:03 pm

I have limited info, others will have to chime in to finish up my answers :p

1. CAI, go with an ebay one and get a K&N filter for it. Saves you some money from buying a full out AEM or K&N cai. OR if one pops up for sale, buy it used.

2. I have a stock RT exhaust (2.25") with some aftermarket muffler. I like it, it works. With it being N/A and just some bolt ons 2.25" should be fine, don't go bigger than 2.5". I don't know about brands since I'm running stock exhaust.

3. Long tube header would be best, once again I don't really know brands. I run the stock RT exhaust mani. The Magnum (RT) mani is pretty good, plus then you can run a cat and won't have issues passing emissions.

4. AGAIN, a magnum (RT) cam would be a nice, relatively cheap upgrade over the stock 2L cam.

read through some progress logs to see what other people have done, I find it helps the most.
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:16 pm

2.5" piping kit, camaro muffler, cai with good filter, mag intake/header, mag cam or mild BC or crane

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:32 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:2.5" piping kit, camaro muffler, cai with good filter, mag intake/header, mag cam or mild BC or crane
forgot to mention the mag intake, yes!
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

Barry McCockener
2GN Member

Post by Barry McCockener » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:22 pm

Filed DOHC pistons will bump the compression up a little but wouldn't be bad for a DD. Do you have an auto or manual trans? An under drive pulley(UDP) is also a good addition if you don't have a heavy electrical load.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:57 am

DOHC pistons (or aftermarket hi comp), a Comp 400 cam, and an underdrive pulley were the most noticeable power mods I did that made DD more fun. A more freer flowing exhaust will help up top, but could hurt your low end torque (which is nice to have in a DD).
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”