mag header question

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
kishon55
2GN Member

mag header question

Post by kishon55 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Does a mag header make any diffrence in a se with bolt ons

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 pm

You might flow out better but I don't think you will see a noticeable difference. I'd say it is not worth the trouble.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:38 pm

The Magnum header does not have an o2 bung, so you will need one welded in. Other than that, it is an excellent replacement for a cracked manifold. You can get them relatively cheap, they hold up well, and fit perfectly with your oem exhaust. You even have the option of factory heat shields.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

kishon55
2GN Member

Post by kishon55 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 am

Mine isnt cracked just wanted a better header I have a 2.5 in exhaust mag intake manifold cai ive been hearing it wont a diffrence is this true

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:15 pm

The more you do to the car the more it will help. I say go for it.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:40 am

You're going to have a weird step down from the standard head to the magnum header ports since it's a bigger ID port.l...I really don't know if that would hurt or help flow. No one spends money on dynoing one part at a time lol.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 pm

ZeroChad wrote:You're going to have a weird step down from the standard head to the magnum header ports since it's a bigger ID port.l...I really don't know if that would hurt or help flow. No one spends money on dynoing one part at a time lol.
I have wondered about that, too.
The Magnum header, is almost too big, compared to the Standard SOHC cyl. head Exhaust ports.

For a 'standard' SOHC cyl. head, I think an E-bay or Pacesetter header, might be better, for a 'mild' build.
But again, I haven't dynoed the two, either. :)

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm

the 1.625" mag header are IMO too big even for the mag head, though it would be less of step there than on a standard sohc.

if your going to do it, do it, but in almost any case (mag or not) if you cant fit a LTH a 1.5" header would be better as long as the collector isn't completely garbage.
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:08 pm

I didn't notice any gain or loss using the Mag header on my SE head.

The way I see it, the runners are so short, and the added diameter probably is just enough to give the gasses a little expansion room, like a step header.

If the larger diameter was on an LTH, then it might not be so good.

The stock Cat flex joint kind of kills most of what you gain anyways. It only has about a 1.5" I.D. Could be one of the reasons an LTH makes more power too. You are eliminating that bottle neck in most cases when adapting the down pipe for an LTH.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 pm

occasional demons wrote:The stock Cat flex joint kind of kills most of what you gain anyways. It only has about a 1.5" I.D. Could be one of the reasons an LTH makes more power too. You are eliminating that bottle neck in most cases when adapting the down pipe for an LTH.
I never noticed the restriction in the flex pipe. I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm planing a 1.5" ST legal header/merge/cat should be interesting or at the very least no worse.

what I did notice was the parts store "R/T" collector gasket was WAY too small. from my autox thread:
PSA... local parts store magnum exhaust gasket is bit smaller than ideal. I'm not sure how much that was actually hurting things but it sure wasn't helping any. The short story is i did a magnum head swap & timing belt PM etc last month when i was suffering a massive sinus infection/flu/plague whatever. I was wrapping it up LATE Sunday night and noticed the mismatch... then promptly forgot about it.

I wondered about it all damn week, then got time to drop the exhaust the next weeked. :shock: that soot ring is about 3/16-1/4". 5 min with a good tin snip took care of it.

While you're there clean up the weld boogers! ports looked about the same. not that they were ANYWHERE close to being in the exhaust stream ;-)

03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 am

The one on the left is a Magnaflow direct fit. The mis-match of that gasket would mean nothing on a MagnaFlow.

But you can sort of see how small the ID is compared to the header/Manifold outlet. I measured the oem a month or so back, when I was looking for some other stuff. Very close to 1.5" with a tape measure.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:41 am

The magnaflow is a bit wider in the flexpipe area than OEM?
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Not really. The inlet hole differences sort of creats an optical illusion. Where the oem flange sort of has a bit of transition, the MF is an abrupt wall with a hole in it.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”