Decisions, decisions, decisions..

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
pbl3
n00b

Decisions, decisions, decisions..

Post by pbl3 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:45 am

Idrive a 2003 SE ATX, and it's time to do some engine work! Right now I have a CAI and Trubendz 2.25" piping and a Dynomax VT muffler (that I love). I'm really having a hard time making up my mind on what direction to take now.

Some notes; I will not and cannot do an MTX swap, leave that out. This is my DD and while I am not looking to be the fastest car on the road, I'd like to wake her up a bit. And lastly, I cannot afford to turbo the engine or do a swap.

I'm torn between just a P&P stock head and the magnum head. The mag head seems like the better choice, but I can't seem to find any and don't know if my non-mag intake will bolt up?

Also looking into a Comp 200 (more usable power for an ATX) and possibly headers. Any and all input or opinions are appreciated!

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

What's the state or county law on emissions / inspections?

You're best bet, IMO would be Megasquirt or some sort of standalone management. That way you can toss a bigger cam in whichever head you choose, some bigger injectors, give it more fuel, etc. . . and just tune it appropriately.

If you're getting head work done or going to a bigger head, why not look at an AMM intake mani or an INDY? Just open everything up and let it breathe.

Also, syked tunes ECUs, although I'm forever confused on his NGC applications and whether he actively flashes those or not.
el. oh. el.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:19 pm

The intake side of both the Magnum and standard head are the same.

The Comp 400's power band isn't really much higher than the 200's. A lot of folks have used the 400 with an ATX. Being a 4 speed, the 400 would do better than with the 3 speed.

If you go with a Magnum head, you will want a little bigger cam to help out with the velocity in the bigger exhaust ports, or even the ported regular ones.

An Indy would be a bad choice for 95% of all N/A 2.0's It is way too large, especially for something with a lower rpm range. Again, the velocity thing...

The stock PCM will do just fine with a bit of head work, and a 200/400 cam. Where you may get into trouble is if you go bigger than 55/56mm throttle body. TPS/MAP correlation codes are hit and miss with '03 to '05 PCM's '05's are almost a guaranteed CEL. IDK if Kevin can change that.

You may want to invest in an ATX cooler/thermostat. And bypass the cooler in the radiator to prevent the all too common cooler leak/destroying the ATX issue. (Might want to consider that one anyways)
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:19 pm

a basic quick upgrade you can do is the udp... its a nice upgrade for the atx and gives it a bit more pep.

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Well, I sit corrected on the INDY intake. For some reason I thought people ditched it for boost, but maybe I'm thinking of a mag intake.

OD hit some other points that most people won't know off the top of their head: how well it translates to certain transmissions.
el. oh. el.

pbl3
n00b

Post by pbl3 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:56 am

In regards to the UDP; would love to, but I love my Rockford Fosgate system too much.

Would there be much of a MPG change with the different heads/cams? I can manage to give up a few miles, but not looking to drop 6 or 7 on my daily.
You may want to invest in an ATX cooler/thermostat. And bypass the cooler in the radiator to prevent the all too common cooler leak/destroying the ATX issue. (Might want to consider that one anyways)
Any references for brands/retailers?

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:50 am

how many watts are you running on your system?

I used to have a 1200 watt amp running my sub and another 400 or so running the rest of my speakers.
I never had a problem with my system setup. it wasn't too powerful but used a bit of juice...

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

pbl3
n00b

Post by pbl3 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:11 pm

What's the state or county law on emissions / inspections?
Arkansas doesn't do inspections, so I pretty much have free reign on that.
I used to have a 1200 watt amp running my sub and another 400 or so running the rest of my speakers.
I never had a problem with my system setup. it wasn't too powerful but used a bit of juice...
I'm running around the same as that on the six speakers, no sub. I was always weary of a UDP just because I already had enough of a problem with bass hits dimming my headlights (hell my brakes dim them).
Quote:

Any references for brands/retailers?
Never mind. Search button is magical.

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”