Satellite Radio Subscribers (XM & Sirius)

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
racer12306
Junior Admin

Satellite Radio Subscribers (XM & Sirius)

Post by racer12306 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:07 pm

XM and Sirius are going to be one company and all the programing from both companys will be available to anyone with an XM or Sirius subscription. Hopefully this wont send the rates through the roof.

Here is an email i received from XM

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
CEO, XM Satellite Radio
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:34 pm

I heard about this on the news Yesterday but they said they're still waiting to get FCC approval. Ikinda hope it goes through b/c there are some channels I like on XM but overall I like Sirius better. I just hope if the both of them come together that they don't get rid of anything and just add everything together :-?
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

SILVER-ES

Post by SILVER-ES » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Now that there will essentially be no competition what's to stop them from increasing the amount of commercials?

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:40 pm

SILVER-ES wrote:Now that there will essentially be no competition what's to stop them from increasing the amount of commercials?
because their whole advertising thing is commercial free music. both companies still have commercials on their talk radio shows. also. if they start having lots of commercials, most people will probably just get HD radio instead.

xm does currently have a few music only channels with commercials. but when i asked about this they said clear channel owned the rights to those channels. clear channel took xm to court for the right to put commercials on the channels and clear channel won. they did tell me that when clear channels contract comes up for renewal they would not keep those channels. they have already started up new channels to replace the ones with commercials.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

SILVER-ES

Post by SILVER-ES » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:42 pm

That makes sense, I honestly didn't know. Never had either Sirrius or XM and never really plan too. If anything I'd get HD.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:58 pm

i can say for trips it is awesome. you already know whats going to be available and you dont have to search for a local station you like.

also. before when i drove from baltimore to almost DC, i would be in two separate radio areas. but with xm i just stuck to the same channel all the way there and back. plus now, i like listening to opie and anthony. so most of the time its stuck on that channel.

also, now that i havent had xm for the past two weeks (stupid body shop). i am really missing the dj's/personalities on xm. the fm personalities can be so blah.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

FTWNeon
Former Moderator

Post by FTWNeon » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:56 pm

Well thats kinda good to hear, I had XM, canceled during the winter while the car was in storage, probably get it again now once it comes out. I was going to switch to Sirus though, glad I didn't pull my stereo yet.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon ACR
1986 Subaru BRAT

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:53 pm

I'm not too happy about this now howard has no competiton. I emailed them today and pithced 3 new shows so that nobody has to show up for work anymore.

Audiobook theater
Wake-up with ted kennidy
Sal and Richards gay day

Am I the only one who was pissed when they said we arent working fridays and now lets not work monday (I know it was presidents day) or tuesday

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:36 pm

there will still be competition from opie and anthony, it just wont be between companies. it will be between channels.

i thought it was pretty funny that howard was taking fridays off. a big ol :thefinger: to the fans. it just shows what he really is.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:14 pm

I dont' even listen to Howard anymore, I used to when I went to work but anymore it seems kinda boring :-? I usually stick to Maxim Radio, Alt Nation, Boombox or the new Lithium 24. I like that XM syndicates 700WLW and I think XM's comedy channels are a lot better.
-Jason
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

bige1030
2GN Member

Post by bige1030 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:00 am

SILVER-ES wrote:Now that there will essentially be no competition what's to stop them from increasing the amount of commercials?
That question was addressed, but speaking of the lack of competition...what's to stop them from raising their rates? That's one of the big concerns of the FCC and the Justice Department.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:14 am

i think that since HD radio is coming to play now their rates will be put in check. HD radio is free after you buy the little box.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:16 pm

I could have sworn there was another Sat radio company trying to start up? Anyone else heard that?
-Jason

scneonchic
2GN Veteran

Post by scneonchic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:41 pm

Seems like if they are doing that, then they can monopolize because there will be no competition for them....

I had sirius in my caliber (Came w/ one free year) and it honestly didnt like it much....too many stations, never anything good on. I wasnt going to renew it when the year was up...but now I dont have to worry about that :lol:

zerocoolok
2GN Member

Post by zerocoolok » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:27 am

racer12306 wrote:i think that since HD radio is coming to play now their rates will be put in check. HD radio is free after you buy the little box.
I didn't have to buy the box JVC KD-HDR1

Also HD radio (at least here in houston) is Awesome! Usually they will have the regular station in HD and then have an alternate station on a separate HD channel. The quality is cd quality. And there's no commercials on the dedicated HD stations!

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:15 am

I just love my Sirius for traveling so I continue to listen to the same programming without having to scan for channels and hope I find something that I like. Really aids in long boring drives. I'm still curious about the HD Radio though but the receivers were a little expensive last time I looked :-?
-Jason

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:43 am

Diablo0 wrote:I just love my Sirius for traveling so I continue to listen to the same programming without having to scan for channels and hope I find something that I like. Really aids in long boring drives. I'm still curious about the HD Radio though but the receivers were a little expensive last time I looked :-?
yeah the boxes are like $200.

driving a 6 hour trip on the same station FTMFW
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

zerocoolok
2GN Member

Post by zerocoolok » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:47 am

My HU was $199 and it has Sirius and HD radio built in. You do have to buy an antenna for the Sirius though but not an adapter box. I didn't have to buy any box for the HD radio, and it uses the regular car antenna.

Thunderstruck
2GN Member

Post by Thunderstruck » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Good luck listening to HD radio outside of the large markets.

At least with satellite you can listen from the Pacific to the Altantic.

You guys should have done some cross country drives before satellite radio, talk about nothing to listen to.

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:26 am

I have XM because of the NHL and MLB.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:23 am

Thunderstruck wrote:Good luck listening to HD radio outside of the large markets.

At least with satellite you can listen from the Pacific to the Altantic.

You guys should have done some cross country drives before satellite radio, talk about nothing to listen to.
You've got that right and in the middle of no where the only thing to listen to is the religious channel b/c no matter where you are for some reason those channels always come in crystal clear lol
-Jason

Nick Drake
2GN Member

Post by Nick Drake » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:15 pm

What ever happened to cds? :(
kc2002acr wrote:because if I was racing you at a 60 roll, I would have been in second for a second till I hit 3rd, then I would have called you on my cell phone and asked you if my taillights were all working. :rofl: ;) :D

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:18 pm

the ipod was invented.

i listen to either XM or i plug my ipod into my radio
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin