Laptop Help

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
dansou5
2GN Member

Laptop Help

Post by dansou5 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:56 am

Hey i am looking into a laptop for college and i need help deciding. Currently i have my eye on the http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplo ... _Notebook/ .
Quick Specs:
Mobile AMD Turion™64 X2 Dual-Core TL-56 CPU
2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory
Built-in Mobility™ NVIDIA GeForce GO 7600 256MB PCI-Express X16 Video
160GB 5400RPM SATA150 HARD DRIVE
Price: 750

What do you computer guys think. I want it to be an all around good laptop. I do a little of everything (ie gaming, and definitely for homework).

How will the 7600 stand up to the games on the market?

Thanks for the help.
01 Neon R/T with 125,000 Miles

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:23 am

You want a laptop for college and you're worried about gaming? lol

Seriously tho, the specs look good, but I'm not too familiar with the company. But the specs look good.
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

Crashin
2GN Member

Post by Crashin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:23 am

I do all the computer maintenance/building/buying/supporting at our office and for desktop parts it doesn't really matter where you buy them, but for complete systems buy from somewhere you know you will get good after purchase support. I don't know about the public side of Dell, but their corporate support is excellent.
2000 Neon Le - *DEAD*
Ported Mag head, AMM intake, Comp 400, Mag header, Mpx 60mm TB, Cosmo Racing UDP & CAI, AFX/R PCM.
Rex motor mount inserts, Maddog 33% STS w/booger & Jonnymopar bushings.
Spring - Nitrous

aperson
2GN Member

Post by aperson » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:10 pm

Public side of Dell Sucks. I work at Best Buy and thats what everyone has told me and both of my sisters have them as well and hate the customer service. They never speak English. I was looking into cyberpower when I was building, I know they advertise in Maximum PC and I belive PC Gamer, but I don't know about their customer service. If you do buy from a store make sure you get the extended warranty. Without that you're stuck with the shitty manufacturer support.
kornholio788 wrote:Cops dont like it when you use their colors and make them blink on a regular basis.

gninja21
2GN Member

Post by gninja21 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:02 pm

I would recommend buying dell's or HP's business laptops. The reason being is the warranty support is more in depth. Dell's Latitude laptops all come with 3 year warranties, and I believe Next business day service. Dell's business unit is completely 100% in america. I have an XPS M1710 and I get the special XPS tech support which is american only as well.

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Yeah I have a Compaq which is a different brandname for HP and the repair services are next day, paid for.
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

dansou5
2GN Member

Post by dansou5 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:30 pm

I would go with one of the more name brand ones if i could find one with similar specs, and around the same price.
gninja21
I have an XPS M1710 and I get the special XPS tech support which is american only as well.

Code: Select all

[/quote]

Yea i would like a laptop like yours but $2200 is way out of the price range.  I mean i bought the R/T for $3500.

If anyone could pick out a better model from one of the name brands then i would go with that.
01 Neon R/T with 125,000 Miles

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:58 pm

I have the 7200 Nvidia on my lappy. I could play oblivion. The fps was probably about 10, yet it could play non the less. My friend's has the 7400 (maybe 7500) and it is quite an improvement. So I'd say the 7600 would be pretty nice and compatible to some of the mid range name brand desktop cards out there today

If you're looking at a decent gaming laptop, you're battery life is going to take a big hit. The buisiness laptops have a lot better battery, b/c they're running lower wattage components. You can always underclock it though as well to get some better battery life.

Check out the tablet laptops too. I know they're expensive, but looking back, I wish I'd ponyed up the extra money and got one. They're hella nice for diagrams and such, especially since you're going into engineering.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:39 am

aperson wrote:Public side of Dell Sucks. I work at Best Buy and thats what everyone has told me and both of my sisters have them as well and hate the customer service. They never speak English. I was looking into cyberpower when I was building, I know they advertise in Maximum PC and I belive PC Gamer, but I don't know about their customer service. If you do buy from a store make sure you get the extended warranty. Without that you're stuck with the shitty manufacturer support.
I work for the geek squad and sorry to say if you didnt know we will have Dells soon!

LoL As for the laptop the stats are good, however if that think breaks (Which it prolly will at least once) your going to need to know where to service it and how easy it will be to have it fixed. with laptops Warrenties>all. If you feel they can support you if you have troubles, then by all means go for it.

Personally Id stick to a name brand laptop at a retail store, simply because you know where it came from and you have a living person to take it to should you F*ck it up... Gateway, Acer, Toshiba FTW!!!
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stg2/Toys, 3" TBE, 3"o2, FM Wastegate, AEM Intake, Running 20psi

Return to “Off-Topic”