Finally drove an SRT-4 and all I can say is.......

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Wenuden
2GN Member

Post by Wenuden » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:14 am

Adionik wrote:I'm seriously thinking about getting an SRT-4 instead of another motorcycle...I know the speed is nowhere near the same but it would be a lot safer and my girlfriend can have my neon (despite the fact she wants an SRT)
Um you can never compare a new(er) street sport-bike to a car. Ever. Even my '02 carburated yzf600r will stomp all but a supercar or a track-built handler. BUT: per dollar, an srt-4 neon will crush pretty much anything comparable (which means a 2800# fwd car... Or maybe even a 2000# awd porche..) If you want a handler, upgrade the suspension. If you want a rocket, put a 60trim and slicks on it. Either way, for the price, you'd be hard pressed to beat an srt-4 neon. Mox, I can throw 2k at my suspension and crush your ms-3 on a road course. And still be 4k under msrp on your car. Not to mention I havnt seen a 1/4 mile time under 14 seconds stock on street tires on a ms-3 like I pulled with my neon.

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:24 am

I don't see what the big deal about the suspenion on the MS3 is. Going in a straight line acceleration would be more useful IMO, who the hell autocrosses that much anyway?

But yeah I know you're right. The dilema to me know is whether or not to sell the neon outright or swap in. They seem to have dropped a bit in price...you can find a bunch for under 10k
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

Wenuden
2GN Member

Post by Wenuden » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:29 am

sell the neon and buy an srt. Fuck a swap. I've had my srt for 9 months, put 11k miles on it, and can still get what I paid for out of it, even if I take it back to stock. You'll never see that out of a swap. Hell, there's an auto swap that's been for salealmost as long as I've had my car, for almost 1/3 the price. If I put mine up for sale, it'd be sold in less than a month.

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:30 am

I dunno, but after delivering pizzas for 1 1/2 years, I prefer the cornering ability fo my ACR to any straight line driving anyday now... I love being able to handle the "twisties" as OB calls it.

Also, you remember that Acura commercial where the car is approaching a sign like this:

And then as he approaches it, the roads straightens out... that is what it feels like to drive, IMO. Anyone can point a car and keep it straight for a 1/4 mile... I prefer to hug the turns as fast as possible, tires screeching. :D
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:32 am

I have hotchski sways and some pretty fatass tires...it meant jackshit when 4 kids in a SC Cobalt made me look like a fucking idiot in my slow ass neon

Thanks for putting it in that perspective wenuden
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

Wenuden
2GN Member

Post by Wenuden » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:53 am

kc2002acr wrote:I dunno, but after delivering pizzas for 1 1/2 years, I prefer the cornering ability fo my ACR to any straight line driving anyday now... I love being able to handle the "twisties" as OB calls it.

Also, you remember that Acura commercial where the car is approaching a sign like this:

And then as he approaches it, the roads straightens out... that is what it feels like to drive, IMO. Anyone can point a car and keep it straight for a 1/4 mile... I prefer to hug the turns as fast as possible, tires screeching. :D
Well... I think I can take you in the twisties as I sit, stock suspension other than lowering springs on stock struts after 15k+ miles. With $250 in sway bars, I know I could, and I wouldn't be spending 2 weeks tips on it either. As the car sits now on only lowering springs, there's no body roll on a hard turn on the street. Plus I run slicks (drag radials with NO tread) on my dd... (yes, even with the torrential downpours we've had lately. Slicks @ 45-60 mph in an inch of standing water ftmfw. You learn how to drive for real, real quick).

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 am

Wenuden wrote:Mox, I can throw 2k at my suspension and crush your ms-3 on a road course. And still be 4k under msrp on your car. Not to mention I havnt seen a 1/4 mile time under 14 seconds stock on street tires on a ms-3 like I pulled with my neon.
and a 89 Civic Si can do the same thing. The whole I could do this and still be under msrp of your car arguement is old. I only paid around $24K for my car and its a great platform to start with. SRT-4 Neons were in the $21K range when they were brand new. For the extra $3K I got alot more car than I ever had with the Neon. More Comfort, better drivers feel, traction control, safety, etc etc etc. Plus I think you're underestimating the control of the MS3. I've owned both cars, and even with a lot of suspension work done to the Neon, or the ACR SRT-4 version, the MS3 simply felt better, and performed better around a roadcourse. You don't have to fight with the car to get it around. They are 2 completely different cars, made to do 2 different things.

If I wanted to keep the Neon I would of kept mine, but I'm much happier with the Mazda.

I've seen a few MS3s run in the 13s in the quartermile stock, but eh it doesn't matter, its not what the car was meant to do.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

Return to “Off-Topic”