One of those, it will never happen to me stories... UPDATE

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
CrashTeam
2GN Member

One of those, it will never happen to me stories... UPDATE

Post by CrashTeam » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:05 am

Well every time I've ever read those stories about someone drives in a deep puddle and hydro locks there motor, I always thought "That will never happen to me, I'm careful, it doesn't rain that much around here..."

Well sure enough, theres a flash flood, I try to make it to a parking lot to get parked, I come up upon what looks shallow, well as i try to limp into the lot staying off the gas it dies... I figured i didn't give it enough gas and killed it, well it doesn't crank. I open the door to attempt to push the car, well the water is up to my shins... Level with the lower fender well where the AEM Intake sits... not submerged but level...

well it gets pushed up by me and some helpful people.

We tried starting it, nothing, we tryd jumping it because it looked like the power was too low, nothing. We pulled the plugs, one was wet, on the 2nd plug from the left. We pulled a vacuum line off, water dripped out. We pulled off the cold side IC pipe and water POURED out.

Heres hoping progressive auto insurance will come through but odds are no... I'll be stuck with another neon with another ruined motor...

I am seriously so upset right now that I'm laughing...

WTF am I gonna do?
Last edited by CrashTeam on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stg2/Toys, 3" TBE, 3"o2, FM Wastegate, AEM Intake, Running 20psi

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:32 am

Just tell them you didn't have a CAI and the flood did it

The moral police are going to jump in here but ultimately you will be fucked out of a car so do what works in your best interest
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:00 am

Yeah put your stock air box back on and dump some water in it.
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:59 am

Definitely put the stock air box on it...

CAI intakes are gay!
-John

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:03 am

Swordfish2Cowboy wrote:Yeah put your stock air box back on and dump some water in it.
:withstupid:

contagious18
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by contagious18 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 am

Haganracing wrote:
Swordfish2Cowboy wrote:Yeah put your stock air box back on and dump some water in it.
Antagonist crew| Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000031
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569968
http://contagious209.mybrute.com

Wenuden
2GN Member

Post by Wenuden » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:06 am

Beyond having to deal with the issue at hand, you have to learn not to drive thru standing water.

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:37 am

Wenuden wrote:Beyond having to deal with the issue at hand, you have to learn not to drive thru standing water.
Good luck with Progressive- per my experience, I would never recommend that insurance company.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Mr Josh Zombie
2010 Platinum Contributor

Post by Mr Josh Zombie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:42 am

next time you see standing water, just stop. pull the car to the side of the road if you can't get turned around. hop out of the car, get soaking wet, and remove the CAI, turn it into a shorty if possible.

in terms what to do now, yea, toss on the stock air box, pray insurance covers it.
Modify your Car • Modify your Body • Modify your Life

Moparty08
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by Moparty08 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:46 am

that happened to me and i got lucky. came down a hill and around a corner. just before some train tracks there was a huge puddle and went right into it. almost hydrolocked my engine as well. had water inside the car. when it was getting fixed water shot out of the engine like 16 feet in the air.
New Hampshire is the only state with the word DIE in it's state motto.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #000069

Official "2gn Fuzzy Dice Club" Member #1

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 am

That's why I want a short ram intake.
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:31 am

Damn that sucks. I believe he has my AEM Short Ram Intake, since I sold it to him. Unless he got the CAI extension for it. But damn, your car must of been in some deep water for it to come even close to that SRI.

Sorry to hear that man.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:22 pm

I learned my lesson years ago about driving into puddles.

I drove through an innocent looking puddle and next thing... clunk!

All forward motion stops. Get out to inspect... turns out the puddle was a very deep pothole full of water that dropped the vehicle to the frame at the front end.

Needed a tow to get out of it. Since that unless I'm certain about how deep and what is under the water I avoid it.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:30 pm

It's been raining and flooding here a lot (I have a useless cold air) and i've been pretty nervous. I just don't drive. LOL!
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Don't have a factory air box to put on sent it with the swap, Yea its a CAI, I scrapped the shortram i had becasue it was missing its post to keep it attached and I got tired of duct tape holding my engine together.

Ya i was boxed in, didn't have a choice but to either stop the car or try to get through, I should have stopped and said fuck the other person.

I guess if insurance doesn't cover it we will have another SRT4 motor transplant to do, if thats the case some things are getting ported/polished while they are off... And either a factory air box or a short ram is going in...

Ugh.. just wont have a car for a few months...
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stg2/Toys, 3" TBE, 3"o2, FM Wastegate, AEM Intake, Running 20psi

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Quick, buy a factory airbox!
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:22 pm

go to a junkyard, rip one out of a neon just for a quick fix
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Filling it with water won't work, unless you seal the drain at the bottom, then the ? would be how did the water get in at a lower point than the inlet.
I'm not sure how much damage would be done idleing anyways. Not sure if the starter motor has enough ass to hurt anything either. Heck if it's "damged" then what's there to lose by attempting to get it running to see if it is truely screwed?
I've had a 2.2 turbo hydro from a cracked head. the dealer replaced the head and it ran till the car rusted to death. We had drove it to the dealer to pick up my dad's Omni for a recall and went to start it. It would not crank but a small amount of rotation, so I hit the key again thinking the battery was going and it started violently and the white cloud filled the whole dealership lot. Never seen so many ppl come flying out of a showroom with fire extinguishers in hand! I just threw the service manager the keys, and told them they have some more warranty work. It had 69.9998 miles. :rockon:
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:00 am

Insurance just cut me a check the other day, I'm having 4 new pistons and rods put in, no head damage, even getting a port/polish of my intake manifold while its all in the machine shop. Insurance company never once mentioned my cold air intake, in-fact they even went as far as to take pictures of the air cleaner.

I got lucky!

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:14 am

CrashTeam wrote:Insurance just cut me a check the other day, I'm having 4 new pistons and rods put in, no head damage, even getting a port/polish of my intake manifold while its all in the machine shop. Insurance company never once mentioned my cold air intake, in-fact they even went as far as to take pictures of the air cleaner.

I got lucky!
DAMN ..... you really ARE lucky !!!! :shock:

Most insurance companies would come up with any excuse to NOT pay .....

Just don't let it ever happen again. [-X I don't think anyone could ever be that "lucky" with an insurance company a 2nd time.....

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 pm

CrashTeam wrote:Don't have a factory air box to put on sent it with the swap, Yea its a CAI, I scrapped the shortram i had becasue it was missing its post to keep it attached and I got tired of duct tape holding my engine together.
Ya i was boxed in, didn't have a choice but to either stop the car or try to get through, I should have stopped and said fuck the other person.

I guess if insurance doesn't cover it we will have another SRT4 motor transplant to do, if thats the case some things are getting ported/polished while they are off... And either a factory air box or a short ram is going in...

Ugh.. just wont have a car for a few months...
That little rubber post thing? You could of easily made something similar. Mine was stuck on my damn battery tray and I had a friend grind it off with a rotary tool. :shock:

Congrats on the good news! :thumbup: Something good usually always comes out of something bad.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:08 pm

Score one for the good guys!
FEEDBACK

Return to “Off-Topic”