Random posting

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Re: Random posting

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 pm

theColonel wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 am
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:14 pm
Not much at all. Nice find.

So there is a black srt-4 for sale that is only 30 minutes away from me. It is Mopar stage 3. He was asking $7k and is now asking $6k for it. Been interested in it. 79k miles. Carfax and autocheck came out good. He says it has hail damage and its hard to get in first or reverse. So he is guessing a bent shift fork. He still has a lein on the title too. Haven't seen the car in person yet. But just was curious what you would pay for a car like that. I know the mopar stage 3 kits used go for around $2500-$3k alone... that is my main interest about it haha.
My SRT-4 had the problem of not going into First or Reverse … needed a complete clutch. Hail damage can be very expensive to repair … never fixed mine.
My feeling is that the car should be a "part-out", and not worth $6k :(
Clutch was replaced at a dealership at like 64k miles or so according to the carfax!
I honestly think it should not be parted. One less SRT-4 on the road. It is low mileage and a a 3 owner car. I just need to check it out in person. Will do this week and take pictures.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:24 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 pm
theColonel wrote:
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:14 pm
Not much at all. Nice find.

So there is a black srt-4 for sale that is only 30 minutes away from me. It is Mopar stage 3. He was asking $7k and is now asking $6k for it. Been interested in it. 79k miles. Carfax and autocheck came out good. He says it has hail damage and its hard to get in first or reverse. So he is guessing a bent shift fork. He still has a lein on the title too. Haven't seen the car in person yet. But just was curious what you would pay for a car like that. I know the mopar stage 3 kits used go for around $2500-$3k alone... that is my main interest about it haha.
My SRT-4 had the problem of not going into First or Reverse … needed a complete clutch. Hail damage can be very expensive to repair … never fixed mine.
Clutch was replaced at a dealership at like 64k miles or so according to the carfax!
I honestly think it should not be parted. One less SRT-4 on the road. It is low mileage and a a 3 owner car. I just need to check it out in person. Will do this week and take pictures.
The car is only worth ~$3,500
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/Do ... Spd/Values
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:28 pm

theColonel wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:24 pm
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 pm
theColonel wrote:

The car is only worth ~$3,500
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/Do ... Spd/Values
How many sell for that much? Find a 05 SRT-4 with 7X,XXX that has a clean title, two owner car and Stage 3. The Stage 3 kit is worth $3k.. If the car is really rough in person and drives like crap then yeah. No way would I pay $6k for it. Due to the "shift fork" and the hail damage. I might be able to find a bunch of other crap wrong with it. I bet he won't take anything less then $5k for it.

That is just a generic guide. Not what cars actually sell for.

Here is some that are for sale that are sort of close to me...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =245908789
$5500 134k miles and looks horrible.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =247666517
$6k 176k miles!
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =247896468
$9600 112k miles.
Lots more that are priced $8-$13k

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:33 am

Car value depends on who is looking to buy and what a seller is willing to accept for a sale. I think that you should check it out- you'll just be out your time if you decide to walk away. I agree with the statement about wanting to keep an SRT whole and not parted out. I bought mine with the intention of preservation, not being a daily.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 am

The lien alone could make or break the deal. If he owes much more than you're willing to pay, and even if you reach an agreed price, the title will not be released until he can pay the balance of the loan. Then there is the wait for the bank to process the title, which might be a day or it could be two weeks, depending on their method.

Being the loan for my Impreza got bought by an out of state bank, they didn't even mail me the title, but sent me an email to print out a document to take to the BMV, and they just issued a new title. I guess if I didn't have email, they wold have had to mail it to me, or worked something else out. But that process went pretty quickly.

I guess as long as they can come up with the cash to pay off the loan, along with what you pay them, it might go smoothly. If they don't have the funds, then it becomes a sticky situation.

I would not give them a dime, until you both are at the bank paying the loan off. That way you know you aren't going to have your funds tied up/help for ransom until they get enough money to release the lien.

As far as hail damage, just rock it the way it is. (Better aerodynamics like a golf ball! :P) If it is really bad, and the title is not an R salvage title, that means they never turned it in. It should show on the car fax if it was turned in, but possibly not, since it wasn't repaired. Car Fax is far from perfect.

My Raider has a clean title, even though it had been rolled. They just never reported it.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 am

occasional demons wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 am
As far as hail damage, just rock it the way it is. (Better aerodynamics like a golf ball! :P) If it is really bad, and the title is not an R salvage title, that means
they never turned it in. It should show on the car fax if it was turned in, but possibly not, since it wasn't repaired. Car Fax is far from perfect.

My Raider has a clean title, even though it had been rolled. They just never reported it.
:withstupid: My SRT-4 has 145K on the odometer, and major hail damage … basically of no value to anybody but me :)
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:33 am

The way I see it, if you were to turn in hail damage on anything but a relatively new car, they're just going to total it. If you are not attached to the car, no big deal, other than possibly getting screwed on the value vs what you owe. But that's what gap insurance is for.

If it is not reported, you have a better looking title, and if it gets stolen, or something catastrophic happens, it may be tough to prove the damage was pre existing, so it wouldn't affect the value of the pay out.

And you never know, stolen cars have had major flaws repaired by the thief, and then the car is recovered. Free repairs! (other than the grief of having the car stolen)
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 am
The lien alone could make or break the deal. If he owes much more than you're willing to pay, and even if you reach an agreed price, the title will not be released until he can pay the balance of the loan. Then there is the wait for the bank to process the title, which might be a day or it could be two weeks, depending on their method.

Being the loan for my Impreza got bought by an out of state bank, they didn't even mail me the title, but sent me an email to print out a document to take to the BMV, and they just issued a new title. I guess if I didn't have email, they wold have had to mail it to me, or worked something else out. But that process went pretty quickly.

I guess as long as they can come up with the cash to pay off the loan, along with what you pay them, it might go smoothly. If they don't have the funds, then it becomes a sticky situation.

I would not give them a dime, until you both are at the bank paying the loan off. That way you know you aren't going to have your funds tied up/help for ransom until they get enough money to release the lien.

As far as hail damage, just rock it the way it is. (Better aerodynamics like a golf ball! :P) If it is really bad, and the title is not an R salvage title, that means they never turned it in. It should show on the car fax if it was turned in, but possibly not, since it wasn't repaired. Car Fax is far from perfect.

Oh of course. Been down that road before. I always go to their bank where they have the loan and verify what is left on it. Yeah they couldn't come up with the cash to pay it off. They still owe $5800 on it. :( :( Yikes. :shock: :shock: :shock:

You know what the hail damage wasn't bad at all. I could barely see it. Now the paint was horrible! Here are some pictures I took of it on a 100 degree heat index day:
Image Not too bad really underneath there.
No rust on the rear quarters at all.
Bent pinch weld
As they drove off.
Trunk latch was all gummed up they needed a screwdriver to open it back up so they could shut the trunk. Big old sound system in the trunk. :( Not a fan.
roof was horrible
Image Mopar s3 coilovers. Rears were blown.
Headlights and foglights faded. Interior was a mess. Missing a bunch of dash interior trim pieces. Missing shift boot. Random rubber pieces on drivers floor board...no idea. Drivers side front tire was down to cord on the inside. They didn't even know about that. Brakes looked good.

Exterior 2/10
Interior 4/10

Was hard to get into first gear at times, and the 1st to 2nd shift was tough. All other gears were fine. Vacuum was only at 15-16 inches at idle. Idle was fine though. When he first started it up the motor moved like crazy. Mount must be out. They keep it on DAB 0 or 1. Tried DAB 2 out and the car bucks like crazy and falls on its face. PCM doesn't like it. It does not like boost at all. Feels like the car is trying HOM mode but only has 91 octane haha. He said he changed out the spark plugs and wires. But not the coil. Not sure what is going on there. Could be a number of issues. Noticed valve cover gasket seeping very bad. throttle body area was nasty probably due to not running a catch can. Who knows how much blow by that engine is getting. Going straight back into the intake. Guessing the car has a ton of vacuum leaks. Engine bay was all stock. Just the Stage 3 setup. OEM intake too. Steering wheel had up and down play in it. Suspension was very rough. Which makes sense.

I offered $3500. But they said they still owed $5800 and they do not have the cash to pay the difference. He said he is thinking about parting it out. :( I said I would be interested in the Stage 3 kit if he did haha. But he knows the value of that kit. Basically the only thing that car has going good for it is the low mileage and the Mopar S3 kit. That is it.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:53 pm

What a bummer. It always blows my mind when someone is selling a car and they don't even bother to clean it. That car was really nice at one point, with Stage 3 and the coils.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Damn, what a shame, that car was in pretty good shape at one point. The first thing I noticed majorly was the driver's front tire being bald, probably needs an alignment and some suspension parts as well.

In the land of Jerry: I was just working on my SRT yesterday. It needs a starter, got one from Blair (BYR) and it turned out to be bad too, so I just ordered a new one. It should be here Friday, and I'm hoping to be cruising it this weekend.

Also last week my wife accidentally broke the screen on her S6 active. She dropped it and didn't see it, accidentally stepped on it while it was on a lego, but I ordered a new screen and just got it replaced (after I'd already freaked out and bought her a new phone, a used S8 active). I'm currently backing up 18 months worth of photos she's taken with the phone, I'll probably end up giving this one to my step son since he could use a new phone.

Finally, I'm working on getting a new job. It would be very very lucrative for me and the family, downside is I would be deployed 4 months out of the year, but the upside is I could potentially pay my house off within a few years with it. I'm crossing my fingers that I land the job.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Yes it is sad. They couple that were selling it bought it in February of this year. To me it was the previous owner that neglected it. Looks like it just sat in the hot Oklahoma sun every day and was never washed and the paint was never protected.

Hope the next starter fixes it your SRT. Sucks you got bad ones. Never had to replace a starter on any of my Neons I have owned over the years. Doesn't look like a fun job due to the location.

Hope you land that job, good money is always nice! Then being able to pay off a house soon would be killer. I am looking at houses now. But its a sellers market now. And I cannot find anything decent for under $200k in my area. Gotta have ATLEAST a 2 car garage. Really want a 3 car garage though.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:35 pm

So sad when a car is treated that way. This is why I have always been so OCD about mine. I hope that it doesn't get parted out. Or, if it is, you get the Stage kit. :twisted:

Good luck with the potential job, Jerry. :)

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:20 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm
Yes it is sad. They couple that were selling it bought it in February of this year. To me it was the previous owner that neglected it. Looks like it just sat
out in the hot Oklahoma sun every day and was never washed and the paint was never protected.
It's a shame that a car could be so f*$#-up in only 79k miles ... some people shouldn't be allowed to drive :(
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:05 pm

theColonel wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:20 pm
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm
Yes it is sad. They couple that were selling it bought it in February of this year. To me it was the previous owner that neglected it. Looks like it just sat
out in the hot Oklahoma sun every day and was never washed and the paint was never protected.
It's a shame that a car could be so f*$#-up in only 79k miles ... some people shouldn't be allowed to drive :(
That's what makes us the minority. Most just consider a car a tool to use up and throw away. Which plays into keeping the economy going as about the only positive. It doesn't do much good for anything else. Wasted resources, and more crap in the landfills. If everyone took the best care of their car as they could, car companies would not be the giants they are. Sales volumes would be much smaller....

But lucky for them, people get bored with their car, and trade or lease a new one every 2 to five years. Or just never maintain it, and drive it as long as it lasts, then complain about it.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Turns out it wasn’t the starter after all. This wire was corroded and caused the car not to start. Stole a wire from a spare harness and spliced it in and the car has been good to go.

When I had this car put together by Ryan (a23danger) he painted some stuff under the hood. Nothing held up. So I’ll be repainting a lot of parts under the hood soon.

https://imgur.com/a/aPp9T9N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 am

Regular paint doesn't seem to do well in under hood temps. I guess it gets just hot enough to break it down. Appliance Epoxy works well enough, but it doesn't exactly have a big color selection. Black, White, and Almond, and maybe Biscuit (which is a lighter version of Almond). They used to have Stainless Steel, which was kind of like cast iron, but I haven't seen that for a while. Of course stores only stock what moves. The SS was more of a flat paint, not good for ease of cleaning.

I have painted my engine including the head, with black Appliance Epoxy, and it hasn't burned off, even near the exhaust ports. It doesn't mention high heat anywhere on the can. But it does seem hold up well.

But I would use a paint with a hardener, if you really want it to last.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 pm

This was duplicolor metalcast paint, and I’m not sure what he used on the intake manifold. Either way I’m going to re do everything. Gasket between the turbo and the o2 housing shit the bed this week so I’ll be replacing that tomorrow along with the crank and cam sensors if I can get one to my local dealership.

Also, signed the new offer letter and letter of intent yesterday. If everything goes through with the government it seems like I’ll be able to pay off my house in like 4 years.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 am

Not having a mortgage payment FTW! Then you only have utilities, and the rent to the government...

IIRC, the metalcast/chromecast used a base coat/clear coat combo to get the gloss and depth. I believe it is the clear coats that don't take well to the heat. You can buy high temp clear coat now, but I haven't bought or experimented with that.

All the plastic stuff I painted on my '01, like the PDC cover and the injector cover, have begun to flake off, on the clear coat. Stuff I did not clear is in much better shape.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:26 am

Yeah it’s the shiny base coat with a colored clear. But I painted my calipers with the same paint and they’ve been fine. I think all the aluminum parts weren’t prepped well or primered causing the issue. I’m going to get another valve cover and intake manifold and try my hand at painting them. I liked the purple but I might go with different colors in the bay, I’m not sure yet.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:26 am

So I ended up getting Frank’s (racer12306) 2gn off of him. It took us 3 hours to load the car onto the trailer I had rented to come get it. The rear brakes were locked up so I lined it up as best I could and tried using a come-along to drag it onto the trailer. I watched frank enter beast mode and he ended up breaking 2 of them lol. Luckily at that point the car was far enough on the trailer I could drag the rear tires up and onto it.

Friday I started messing with the car because I wanted to move it and realized that the shoes came apart. So I started doing a rear disc swap using the parts from Scott’s car. Then I realized one of the calipers was seized and the other had a snapped bleeder screw on it. I came up with an idea, and warrantied them at autozone using my NYGs warranty.

The rear calipers are the same between 1gn and 2gn except for the banjo bolt. It’s slightly larger on a 1gn so I drilled the hole slightly larger using a 3/8’s drill bit. I should have the driver side finished up today and I’ll be able to drive it and diagnose any issues I come across.

Also, I changed the headlight housings on my PT cruiser and replaced the bulbs with nineo LEDs. It’s so nice to drive it at night now. I ended up putting LEDs in the 1gn I got from Fuzzy too.

https://imgur.com/a/lE1XJ9W

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:47 am

I hope that Frank's car knows how lucky it is to be taken care of by someone who appreciates Neons... and not by someone who thinks of them as disposable.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Currently Frank’s car is the best condition 2gn I own. I’m hesitant to say best condition car since my van from Texas is still mainly rust free. And yes, it’ll be taken care of. Jonny’s car is going to get lifted and more than likely 2.4 and 3.94 swapped so I can use it in a gambler 500 race. It’s pretty rusty so I won’t feel bad massaging the wheel wells on it.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:29 am

Congrats on another car jerry lol. Yeah I remember Frank's car from posts on here. He kept it close to stock, seemed to be super clean and well maintained for sure.

Random in the random posting thread:

I went back to page 1 of this thread. Brought back memories. Miss the OG people that used to post all the time.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:22 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:29 am
I went back to page 1 of this thread. Brought back memories. Miss the OG people that used to post all the time.
Ditto.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:05 pm

So I had tried drilling out the rear 2gn hoses to fit the 1gn banjo bolt and it didnt work as well as planned. I was able to take it for a small trip down the road for the first time in 16 months. I’m working late this week so I’ll have it finished up Friday after work.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Random Posting

Post by theColonel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:04 pm

old news
Last edited by theColonel on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
05 Dodge SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Still on strike. Now they are hiring scabs.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

UAW Strike

Post by theColonel » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:24 pm

The strike against GM will likely fail

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-s ... UCIwrNmbCQ
05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:41 pm

When filling up my company vehicle, the BP Driver Rewards program allowed me to accumulate a discount which I could then redeem when buying premium for the SRT. I have been going out of my way to purchase BP gas for years (very difficult for the Carlisle trip as their locations seem to be disappearing all of the time). I managed to use BP for every fill-up to and from Carlisle this July except for one at Sheetz and two at the New Cumberland exit Shell (I had a Shell gift card for those that I had received with Amazon Reward points from my VISA so they were mostly free :D ). In fact, due to the discount I had accumulated in the months prior to this year's Carlisle, I filled up the SRT just before leaving for 88 cents!

BP today announced the successor to its Driver Rewards program and it is smartphone app-based. Since I don't have a smartphone (and don't want one), I can't participate in this new discount program so I unsubscribed to their emails. One of my first credit cards was with Amoco, which BP bought out back in the 1980's so I have been doing business with them for a long time. Yep, I am very disappointed.

I have signed up for the Shell discount program and get at least 5 cents off each gallon every time (no smartphone needed). I'll still buy BP when it is convenient but will miss the Driver Rewards program.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

UAW Strike in 19th Day

Post by theColonel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:56 am

Pressure mounts on GM and United Auto Workers to make a deal

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/04/pressur ... h-day.html
05 Dodge SRT-4

Return to “Off-Topic”