Random posting

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Random posting

Post by occasional demons » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:01 am

All seasons will get you through with AWD, but you still need to be wary. I will take winter rated tires/FWD over all seasons/AWD.

My neon had little trouble with the winter rated tires. The Subaru with all seasons doesn't have too much trouble moving forward, but steering/stopping and general stability just does not compare to having winter tires on all 4 corners. The neon with 4 winter tires still held the edge over the Subaru with all seasons.

If it was only dry powdery snow, then all seasons would probably seem a lot better. But when you get into the heavy wet/slushy stuff, they really show their weakness.

Now back when I had the XJ, it didn't make much difference. Stability plain sucked no matter what I mounted on the wheels. Great off road vehicle, not so much on hard pavement with less than a foot of snow on it. There was zero comfort zone driving it on normal snow covered roads. For snow "too deep" for the neon, it was great, otherwise, I just took the neon.

With the Subaru, the neon can now stay safe in the garage, away from the salt, deer, and idiots..
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Made some mistakes mounting the tires I had to fix today. I had mounted one tire backwards and had to flip it around. Another tire the bead hadn’t seated all the way and had a slow leak. I popped the bead off, lubed it up with some soapy water again and popped it back on and it’s just fine.

Took a test drive and no wobbles up to 65 with the bbs in the wheel. Drives just fine. Doesn’t look bad for a smaller size tire either.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Looks good.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks! I’m kind of excited to see if this setup changes my MPG at all. I went from 36 pounds a corner to 29 with the wheel and tire changes. The gearing is a little effected so I’ll have to calculate that in.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:38 pm

Yeah, those 14" R/T rims are pretty light. It should feel pretty good. Unsprung weight reduction is one of my favorite mods.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Going from stock SRT wheels and tires to Rota slips and 205/55/15 tires lost 100lbs on the SRT snd helped it gain a ton of MPG.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:36 am

Directional tires....

At least the wheels aren't directional. My brother had factory directional wheels on his Shelby Shadow.

He had directional tires mounted, and they brought the car out, two of the wheels were backwards, and one tire was backwards on one of the wheels they had correct.

Then they had the gall to be pissed when he told them to correct it all. :facepalm3:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:00 pm

All season vs winter...

https://youtu.be/EC1E2eDt1JY
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:14 pm

We got about 7” before the sleet started. Glad I grabbed these, I had to run to the store earlier and it was a godsend. I had to drive around a jeep that stopped to turn onto my road :lol:

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:33 am

Yuck. I hate snow.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:37 am

Usually I’m really excited for snow but this year I’m just ultra depressed. I hurt my shoulder really bad a few weeks ago, and being in steady pain is taking a toll on me. My dog died on the 6th and it messed up the family. I also miss my dad who passed 3 years ago, and I’ve always hated Christmas since I was about 10 or so. I’m trying really hard to put on a normal face for the kids, and thankfully my wife is really supportive, but it’s hard this year.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:50 am

I'm sorry to hear that, man. I've been through some rough shit lately as well and it definitely takes a mental toll. Hang in there.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:59 pm

It doesn't help that Christmas is so commercialized, overshadowing what it is really about.

Not pushing any religion or beliefs here, just stating the facts.

It is a double edged sword. If it wasn't so commercialized/never was commercialized, it would be just another day in life for a lot of folks, and for christians, there would be little attention brought to it. On the flip side, it may not be such a miserable time of year for people that can't afford it, or whatever other reason that causes stress and depression. Winter generally does that on it's own, and then you pile the pressures of Christmas on top of it...

This year is a bit rougher because COVID, at least for people that usually gather with family/friends, and are not risking spreading it.

My family is forgoing gathering, being my parents are in their mid to late 70's. But it's okay. Hopefully there will be next year...

Hopefully your shoulder improves. I can relate to being in pain, when I got whiplash from being rear ended back in 2011, I was in pain from December to March, and had severe numbness in my left hand for another 4 months. It was really depressing. I quit taking the meds for the numbness, because I think that was making things worse, as far as my mental state. Eventually it simmered down, to where life was not so miserable. I still have some slight numbness in my thumb, almost 9 years later.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Well this explains a lot. I guess they feel the need to share the Spam...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/mcdo ... 59862.html
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:44 pm

I miss each and every one of you here on the forums... last time I logged on, I had one kid... now I have two 😳

Hope all is well with everyone!
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:46 pm

:-k

Looking at your sig, seems you were busy making sandwiches rather than listening to Dante....

Wait , what, who the hell is this?

:lol:

Merry Christmas, Sir!
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:01 am

LOL

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Hahahaha isn’t that the truth 🤣
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:28 pm

Hagan, I still owe you for the two beers you gave me at 2019 Carlisle.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:58 am

nice wheel and tire setup jerry. Always helps in the winter. Hope everyone is doing well this holiday season. Lots of craziness going on it seems like.

Changed the plugs on the acura tl 3.5l. I did this because I was having a bucking with slight acceleration. So I pulled an easy one out and the gap was .080! OEM is .044 on these cars. They are NGK Iridiums 6944 and supposed to go 100k miles. When I had a friend who works at Honda do the timing belt/waterpump/etc. I provided all the parts including plugs. This was about 4 years ago or so at 79k miles. Car has 117k on it now. So around 38k miles on the plugs. I found out you can get NGK knock offs... so they could of been knock offs put in there when I ordered the parts. Here is one of the old ones: https://i.imgur.com/ClKpChQ.jpg Iridium tip completely gone on all. I made sure I got them at a local parts store this time around and not ebay/AMAZON.
They could of been original given the condition. I need to contact that friend, but I doubt he remembers. 3 of them had a gap of .085! Rest were .080. Car runs like a dream now! Everything is so much smoother. Its like an entire new car after replacing them all. Surprised it was running as well it was given the huge gap.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:11 pm

I used NGK iridium plugs in the Subaru, and they did pretty well.

Both times I changed them at 80,000+ miles, and while the fine tip was gone on 3 out of 4, the engine still ran fine. I'm sure the coil pack was still getting a work out.

I believe I got them from eBay. Maybe I got lucky...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Nice, the NGK's are OEM on these Acuras. Only run NGK's in the Neon too. Here is the video of the knock offs. Craziness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9J3eQk-kE&t=2s

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:42 pm

I believe NGK are oem for Subaru also.

I use the NGK performance plug wires on it also.

I thought the plug wires on my 440 were long... :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:23 am

Hey guys. I did a thing last night. Long story short or at least I'll try to keep it as short as possible here goes. My red acr has rust and almost nonexistent clear coat. I didn't want to pay for an expensive paint job. Got told about this very clean shell in Michigan. My fav color is blue add the rt stripes in and I just had to buy it. Little to no rust on it. Very well kept. No engine or interior. Also has non ac dash. So the plan is to swap everything over from the red acr to this new to me 99 rt shell. More pictures to come soon. Im still in Michigan. Making my way home today then unloading it to my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:42 am

Probably the smartest move, despite the red one being an ACR.

Given the general (non sentimental) value of these, you would likely never recoup the money spent trying to save the ACR.

Basically why I bought the shell of the Dark Jewel from Chris. The '01 needed probably over $4000 worth of body work and paint, vs $400 for a clean body shell. granted I'll have some $ into it to paint match stuff, as I'll probably never find any Deep Amethyst hoods, trunk lids or fenders. Being a '00 only 2gn paint color....

But it will be money spent on an already solid base.

I know there are people that will disagree about the ACR, but they aren't the ones financing it either...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:05 am

Well said. Exactly how I thought about it. The paint job for my acr with engine bay would of been around $4k. I said nah. This 99 RT has the best paint on it I've seen in a long time from a 1gn.

I'm going to be swapping my side skirts, rear lip and possibly entire front bumper with lip. Those parts will be professionally painted to match.

Other than that interior is there. Just needs my seats and entire dash as my acr had ac some point in its life and I plan to finally put ac back in. Then swap the engine over and done.

For anyone curious. I'll be making a new progress log within the next month. So keep an eye out for it if you want to follow the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:19 am

Nice looking forward to the progress! Love Blue R/Ts

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:24 am

I bought myself a welder finally. Second cheapest flux core welder that harbor freight had. So, finally going to get around to learning how to weld. Then, I’m going to build a neon trailer.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:51 am

Welding is on my bucket list. My dad's a good welder and he's offered to teach me. I just need to make the time to do it.

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:05 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Hagan, I still owe you for the two beers you gave me at 2019 Carlisle.
Nope - I won't take them. They're yours to enjoy Gramps!

I will take another Carlisle with Gramps once all this Covid crap is over.

Return to “Off-Topic”