TV help

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
JRM
2GN Member

TV help

Post by JRM » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Looking at buying a new tv finally, and not really sure what to get i.e. plasma/lcd/led...
Anyone wanna help an electronics noob out?
This is going in my living room to replace my antique I have so really anything is an upgrade. The tv I've got doesn't even have RCA hookups. :tardbang:
06 Ford F150 Stock truck 23x,xxx miles and running strong
05 Chevy Equinox Wifey's

Official I sold my Neon Member #482

biggrobb1995
2GN Member

Post by biggrobb1995 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:12 pm

From what I have heard L.C.D. is the way to go.
I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk!
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
I'm goin to drive my neon til it dies member #81
Some see angels, I've held one.

DOSneons
2GN Member

Post by DOSneons » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 pm

i have a samsung led and its an amazing tv

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:01 am

LCD is best, plasma is alright but tend to "go out" sooner. From the sounds of it though anything you can get your hands on is better
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:01 am

I have an HD vizio... not very impressed..
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

Chris04sxt
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Chris04sxt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:42 am

gtxtreme19 wrote:LCD is best, plasma is alright but tend to "go out" sooner. From the sounds of it though anything you can get your hands on is better
Not even close to the truth anymore. If it is calibrated right, a Panasonic plasma is said to last to almost a million hours now. Plasma has come a long way since it was first introduced.

That said, it all depends on what your main usage of the TV is. Do you play lots of video games? Watch a ton of movies?
2GN Feedback
MoxHair wrote:I'll leg hump you dude..
and then when I'm done you can leg hump me.

Ntyvirus1
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Ntyvirus1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 am

i thought they were phasing out plasmas
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000038

hul kogan wrote: And from thy shadows he comes to rippeth thine buttholes. :lol
MoxHair wrote:You should never throw parts at a car.. You'll dent the exterior.

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 am

i got a Panasonic Viera PLASMA 42" for like 4 years now and its still working fine like when i first got it.
i love the picture output and also looks amazing if your a Gamer and hook up your gaming system to it.

So basically it just comes down to preference for you.

go to BestBuy and have them show you the 3 diff kinds.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 am

LED is the new thing out now, i dont know how good they are compared to LCD televisions. My dad bought a insignia 42" lcd a couple years ago and it works beautifully no complaints
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

JRM
2GN Member

Post by JRM » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:32 am

I've got a 32" lcd vizio in our bedroom that has worked well. But honestly I hardly ever watch tv. Don't play video games, mainly it will be used for the occasional movie on netflix on demand/redbox, for my son to watch dora/diego, on and the lineup of shows my wife watch. So nothing too intense.

Here are a few that I have been pondering over:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Emerson-LC320EM1/14237649

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sanyo-DP42740/14237674

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Viore-PD42VH80/14711473

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Element-ELDTW401/14711123
05 Chevy Equinox Wifey's

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:45 am

:tardbang: :tardbang:

I really hate all the misconceptions about the Plasma TV technology.

Plasmas will give you the best "true to life" color scale, while still providing the best black levels, fastest motion with the least amount of blur, and will still last just as long if not longer than their LCD and LED cohorts.

I really don't care what your brother's best friend's sister's boy friend's uncle's friend said about plasmas and that's why you're furthering incorrect information.

I have at least 1 LED, LCD, Plasma, and DLP HDTV in my house.. Do you know which one is in my main viewing room and which one I play the most video games on? You guessed it. THE FREAKIN' PLASMA.

You all know where I work.

oh and LED is an LCD TV, the back lighting is just different.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:17 pm

What about energy consumption between the 4? That much of a difference?
As for brands I would recommend Sony, LG, Vizio and Sharp.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:20 pm

MoxHair wrote: oh and LED is an LCD TV, the back lighting is just different.
Prolly the only advantage the LED would have over the fluorescent back light, is it won't "yellow" with age, or get dimmer. But the LEDS will eventually burn out, so the "dimmer part" is not a huge advantage.

I haven't really priced TV's for a while, so I don't know if plasma is that big of a price difference anymore. Mainly why I went LED, and I got it at a very nice price, since Circuit City screwed up on their 24 hour delivery deal they had at the time. $900 off of what I would have paid, I couldn't refuse their offer. So I paid today's prices for a 42" 3 years ago. :lol:

If you are not anal about having the best of the best, find a good name brand one in your price range, get it and enjoy it. It will be obsolete within a month anyways.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:25 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:What about energy consumption between the 4? That much of a difference?
I chose Sharp, partly because Sharp and Toshiba are made in Japan, vs China or Korea.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

JRM
2GN Member

Post by JRM » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:53 pm

What about this one?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProScan-40-40 ... A+Exchange

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications ... CatId=3649

40" LCD Proscan model 1080p 60hz

$399 + free shipping
Sounds like a great deal to me... :tardbang:
05 Chevy Equinox Wifey's

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Bottom one is refurbished, looks like wally world customers gave it good reviews. Never heard of Pro-Scan before. Quick google search:
Proscan used to be the RCA high-end trademark; RCA (at least the TVs) was purchased by Thomson; they leased the proscan name to a Korean outfit that has the TVs made in China.

I've never owned a Proscan (post RCA)... but the internet buzz is that they are of inferior quality and that it's virtually impossible to get support in the USA.

I would qualify that: Costco is selling Proscan TVs; they extend the warranty by one year (to two years); and if you have a problem, ya got Costco behind you.

So I guess unless you buy one at Costco, you should pass.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

TeckNeon
2GN Member

Post by TeckNeon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Depending on where you are going to put it, LCD is a great all around "can't go wrong" kind of tv. Plasmas are great for basements and low light areas. LCDs are good for just about anywhere. There are so many different brands, levels of quality, plenty of inputs come on most all tvs.

If I my 25" CRT went out today (knocks on wood!) and I had to buy a tv on the fly. I'd want a the 46" Vizio 1080i 120 hz LCD at Walmart for $800. It's the size I want and it's full HD with the right amount and variety of inputs for my needs. Plus, it's not over the top and I'm not gonna get crazy with the anti-jutter and all that. I still run regular cable (all be it fiber optic lines) with a regular DVD player. I would have to get a PS3 or some other BR player eventually.

LED tvs are lighter, thinner and use less power. Plasmas are heavier, use more power and put out more heat. LCDs are right in the middle. We have a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD in the family (about 4 or 5 years old...was on sale for $2300 down from $2800...what a difference 5 years makes) and it's been flawless and it does not stutter or pixelate during football games or any other sports games. I love Samsung products so I am biased there too.
"I can't believe I ate the whole thing." - H. Simpson

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Vizio?

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:What about energy consumption between the 4? That much of a difference?
A lot of TVs nowadays are Energy Star rated, with Plasmas using the most energy. That's one of the view true knocks on the plasma technology. Energy consumption and a glare with DIRECT sunlight.

again Vizio shouldn't ever be compared to higher end brands such as Sony, LG, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic, etc. Unless of course you're speaking of the basic no option bare bones models that each of the better brands put out for a market share advantage. Vizio is a third party company just like Insignia, Dynex, Ilo, and a few other brands. They pay other people to put together their units and then slap their logo on it. A lot of the times you can find part numbers and model numbers on their units from other manufacturers that were released a couple years previous.
Last edited by MoxHair on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:47 pm

MoxHair wrote:Vizio?

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:
-John

cgneon
2GN Member

Post by cgneon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:52 pm

mine is a vizio, 37" HD MW2 is flawless on it with HDMI.. HD netflix movies are sweet.. and regular cable tv still looks good.. no problem with the brand.. had for a year now..
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000082

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Not sure what your problem is Mox and why you ahve to call me names.
Never had any problems with my 22'' HD Vizio monitor after 2 years. My parents got a 42 Vizio a year or so ago and the picture looks better than my 40'' Sony Bravia I have at my place.
What Vizio did was genius, because they took a highly desirable product and made it affordable, then put that product in stores that would reach the most customers. It used to be that you’d be hard pressed to find top name brand televisions in a Wal-Mart, but now they carry Sony and Samsung just like the major electronics stores. You can thank Vizio for this. Personally, I wouldn’t be too discouraged by the fact that Vizio’s products are really made in Taiwan, because most every HDTV manufacturer builds their sets from the cheapest possible components, and the majority of them come out of Asia.

According to an August 2009 press release from Vizio’s website, they hold a 21.7% market share as of the second quarter of 2009. Samsung is right behind them at 21.3%, and Sony has 11.9%. If you were to price compare similar model Vizio, Samsung, and Sony televisions, the Vizio would always cost less, with the difference sometimes being hundreds of dollars. A combination of a slowing economy and the recent "digital switch" in the U.S. has really driven up HDTV sales, and Vizio offers a solid product that costs less than anyone else. I know several people who own one, and they are quite happy with their investment.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/ho ... z0wMPN94wJ

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

cgneon
2GN Member

Post by cgneon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:17 am

LowNSlow wrote:
MoxHair wrote:Vizio?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

is that from monty python?..
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000082

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:03 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:Not sure what your problem is Mox and why you ahve to call me names.
It's from Monty Python and it best described my feeling towards Vizio at the time.

And about your quote from some website. As I said
Vizio shouldn't ever be compared to higher end brands such as Sony, LG, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic, etc. Unless of course you're speaking of the basic no option bare bones models that each of the better brands put out for a market share advantage.
which is exactly what they mostly carry at Wal-Mart and what the person who is quoted is talking about.

Now about your 40" Sony.. I'd have to know what exactly you have as Sony makes roughly 10-20 different 40" models. Depending if its a few years older the newer Vizio may look better because of advances in technology as time passes.

Again it's nothing against you. I've just worked with these things and have had done several comparisons with TVs side by side. Inside and out. I'll compare a Vizio to a Dynex or Insignia before I'd compare it to an established company that makes their own product.
2017 Subaru WRX STI

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 am

I like my vizio. It's not awesome, but it wasn't expensive either. By the time I look at a wall and my eyes adjust to the color, even a lousy 1080p TV looks great, so I don't worry about it. I can snipe with a red dot, and that's all that matters.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

Return to “Off-Topic”