Dodge/Chrysler News

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Dodge/Chrysler News

Post by occasional demons » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:43 pm

Just a friendly reminder to those of you thinking about buying a 2020 Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak to drive to your local cruise night or car show, the car is not street legal. It might be turnkey and look like an amped up Challenger Demon, Redeye, or Hellcat, but make no mistake, this is a full-on race car. It’s also sold under a Mopar part number. For all the collectors out there, all 50 units scheduled for 2020 will have a unique serial number.

I was wondering about that. Probably has no VIN number, and therefore cannot be registered, or classified as a self assembled vehicle using existing parts, as they want VIN numbers and proof of purchase from all vehicles used to assemble a vehicle.

We used two different trucks to make one back in 1987. Had to have all the info from both trucks. Even though one was a 1978, and the other a 1979, it was titled as a 1987. The insurance agent tried to pull a fast one, and charge for insurance on a new 1987 truck. When asked if they were going to pay out for a new truck, they changed their tune in a hurry. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Powered by a 354 cubic inch supercharged HEMI V8 and backed up by a 3 speed, manually shifted Turbo 400 automatic transmission.
So The Chevy guys shouldn't be complaining, it does after all have a GM transmission.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:31 pm

Must be a solid trans to handle that kind of power of over 1500bhp. Everything must be solid to handle that kind of power haha

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 am

The TH400 is probably one of the most indestructible automatics ever made for passenger cars and trucks. I seen a few GM fan boys destroy their engines using the one feature it has: The ability to shift into second gear, while leaving it in the "1" position. It is at a fairly high RPM, but they would just leave it in 1st, when street racing, so it shifted at full power, and usually gave the car a pretty good jump ahead, slamming into 2nd gear. But a few found out the engines weren't up to the task.

But anyways, the trans never failed, always the engine's bottom end. At least it was always the obnoxious dicks that deserved it. :P
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 pm

^Wow never knew that, crazy!

Here is some news:

Fiat Chrysler patent shows a turbocharged inline-six engine

The 3.0-liter Global Medium Engine codenamed 'Tornado' looks real

The rumor that Fiat Chrysler is developing an inline six-cylinder surfaced on Allpar more than a year ago. In a follow-up report in December last year, Allpar tapped its sources to add more information, like the codename "Tornado" and the plan for the turbocharged motor to replace the 5.7-liter Hemi V8. Even so, it only made sense to speak of the engine as a rumor at the time. Now we have our first bit of circumstantial evidence, Mopar Insiders having found a patent issued to FCA that uses drawings of an inline-six to describe a system for tracking elements in exhaust gases in a turbocharged inline-six. FCA applied for the patent on November 1, 2017, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted it April 2, 2019.

As with everything else in a patent application, the drawing cannot be an accident. The U.S. PTO granted two other engine-related patents to FCA on March 19 and April 2 this year, and FCA used drawings of a V6 in both of those applications.

The December Allpar report presumed one version of the Tornado engine would get a single, twin-scroll turbo and slot into service with Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram. Another version with twin turbos, and perhaps revised heads, could do time with Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and perhaps SRT. Mopar Insiders doesn't break down turbo count, but cites its sources as revealing an output range of 360 horsepower up to 525 horsepower. FCA's E-Booster technology, originally mentioned as a way to help a revived Alfa Romeo 8C get 700 hp, will enable larger turbos on performance versions of the Tornado I-6. E-Booster electrifies some aspect of the turbocharger — FCA hasn't got into the details yet — to eliminate lag while providing 25 percent more power. Mopar Insiders' output figures would give the engine long enough legs to replace the 3.2-liter and 3.6-liter Pentastar V6s, as well as the 5.7-liter Hemi V8. The site said the Tornado will also replace the canceled 7.0-liter Banshee V8.

The 3.0-liter Tornado Global Medium Engine Turbocharged 6 (GME T-6), based on the Hurricane 2.0-liter GME four-cylinder (GME I-4), is expected to go into FCA products around the world. We'll wait to see how the PSA merger might affect allocation. Displacement will come in a hair below three liters so as to avoid tax thresholds in certain countries, and it was said engineers were trying to keep the inline-six no more than three inches longer than the 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder. The initial application could be in the next-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee, or in the Jeep Wagoneer, although it could be late availability on both since the straight-six isn't predicted to arrive for a few years.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:14 pm

A new inline six sounds cool, especially with a turbo. The thought of replacing the Hemi is a bummer, though.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm

It will be interesting to see if they can actually get any fuel economy out of it. I haven't seen an inline 6 yet that has gotten better than 20 mpg. They make great torque, but they also seem to suck at efficiency. None of the slant six cars I had could do better than 15 mpg, my Jeep XJ only made 21 mpg once, and that was strictly turnpike/highway miles, once I got off the highway, it plummeted back to 13 mpg. The 3.9 Magnum in my dad's Dakota regularly got 21 MPG or better, and had better performance.

Ford's 300 six is no fuel miser either.

The Tornado name is nothing new. I had one in a 1963 Gladiator pick up.

Unfortunately it was pretty well neglected and beat when I bought the truck. I ended up putting the cab onto my Ramcharger chassis, with a 400 for power.

This is no lie, it was a pretty unique engine.
One unique feature of the design was that the camshaft only had six lobes. One lobe operated both the intake and exhaust valve for each cylinder. This made engineering cam profiles a bit more difficult than conventional two lobe per cylinder (one per valve) designs, but allowed the valves to be better arranged for the cross-flow head. Valves were directly opposite their respective ports, and ports were short with wide radius turns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Tornado_engine

But I guess time will tell if they can overcome whatever it is that makes them such gas hogs. If it ever makes it into production.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Fiat Chrysler brushes off GM lawsuit

Post by theColonel » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 am

52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 am

Poor GM... boo hoo hoo. Maybe you should have taken Sergio up on that merger offer.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:32 pm

With American automakers pulling out of the small car and sedan markets, Asian manufacturers are beginning to reap the rewards.

Sales of compact cars and family sedans have been slowing in recent years, and while Ford, GM and FCA cut their small-car lines for being less than profitable, they were still finding customers—customers who must now look elsewhere for their replacement vehicles.

It appears American buyers are looking where they traditionally have whenever domestic offerings fall short: overseas.

"Cars" being the key word here. These stats overlook the key elephant in the room: the pickup truck. Believe us when we say that the domestic manufacturers don't miss their compacts. The Ford F-Series, Ram Pickup and Chevrolet Silverado are still America's top sellers by far, and in that order.
https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1 ... an-imports

https://calmatters.org/environment/2019 ... standards/
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Peugeot leader Tavares loves cars, vows to preserve brands in FCA merger

Post by theColonel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:38 am

05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:02 am

Let's check back on that in about five years.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Hopefully with all that money they build a quick hot hatch/sport compact with a manual transmission. I still want to test drive a Fiat 124 Abarth with a 6 speed. Love the looks of them! Saw a white one at a car meet. It was so nice inside and out.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:35 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:31 pm
Hopefully with all that money they build a quick hot hatch/sport compact with a manual transmission. I still want to test drive
a Fiat 124 Abarth with a 6 speed. Love the looks of them! Saw a white one at a car meet. It was so nice inside and out.
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/peu ... irst-drive
05 Dodge SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Looks like a Golf GTI. I like it though. Be cool if that comes out state side rebadged as a Dodge.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:18 pm

From autoblog:

Almost 70 percent of FCA-PSA Groupe models to ride on two PSA platforms

Newer PSA platforms to modernize global B-, C-, and D-segment cars and crossovers

With the merger between PSA Groupe and Fiat Chrysler having been officially announced this week, we still don't know where everything will settle once the process concludes. We covered the catalog of models herded by the combined company's 12 brands, all of which will remain for now. Profound changes must be afoot somewhere, though, else there'd be no reason for the tie-up. Automotive News has a report on one of the big moves, writing that "more than two-thirds of [PSA-FCA] production would be concentrated on just two platforms." Around 2.6 million cars built by the combined company would sit on PSA's Common Modular Platform, also known as the EMP1, for B-segment city cars, entry-level and mid-range C-segment sedans, and compact crossovers. Three million vehicles would ride on the EMP2 architecture intended for C- and D-segment cars and higher-end crossovers.

Those figures account for around 5.6 of the 8.7 million vehicles the combined company expects to sell annually. AN didn't mention the Giorgio platform that's already spread throughout the FCA kingdom to support numerous current and future offerings like the next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee, but did write that "larger Jeep models will continue to use FCA underpinnings." The body-on-frame chassis' under Ram trucks and the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator should hold pat. We'll wait for word on the fate of the Compact U.S. Wide platform carrying the Chrysler Voyager and Pacifica and Jeep Cherokee. Dodge products with questionable futures are anyone's guess; we've heard the Dodge Durango, still built on a Mercedes-derived platform it shares with the current Grand Cherokee, could go body-on-frame for the next generation, or die and have the Giorgio-based, three-row Jeep Grand Cherokee take its place. More mystery comes with the long-lived LA and LD platforms in the big sedan and coupe trio Chrysler and Dodge still milk quite successfully. And if there were ever a time for the Dodge Journey – last reported as a Giorgio recipient – to modernize or die, we don't know when that time is.

Although FCA platforms have been designed with alternative powertrains in mind, AN says the PSA Groupe architectures "are more modern than FCA's equivalent platforms." After PSA acquired GM's Opel/Vauxhall division, the French company didn't waste time moving the Anglo-German products to in-house platforms, helping to put the formerly money-losing operations into the black in just 18 months. Similar swiftness is on the way with FCA, AN writing that the first FCA vehicle on the Compact Modular Platform will show in late 2022 with an Alfa Romeo badge.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:56 pm

The only new post Chrysler Corp vehicle I bought new was my '99 XJ, which was essentially just a CC leftover sold by DCX. Will see how things play out when the time comes I have to buy another new vehicle. For all I know it could be another 20 years. If they even let the general public own their own transportation by then.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:20 am

Yeah new cars are stupid expensive. But they are very nice and refined for the most part. I really like those Hyundai Veloster N's. $30k brand new. Ooooorrrrr there is a 13k mile SRT-4 for $12,500 in Michigan right now. Hahaha an extra $18k~ would be nice.

Damn a 1999 Jeep brand new. I bet that was nice! How long did you hold on that for?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:06 am

I kept the Cherokee for 16 years. I sold it for $1000 when we bought the house, and I didn't really have a place to keep it. I could have gotten more, but I needed to make it disappear.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:58 pm

Damn bummer being in situations where you have to get rid of a car ASAP.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Ram Pickup Muscles Past Chevy Silverado in 2019 Sales

Post by theColonel » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:23 pm

05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Ram Pickup Muscles Past Chevy Silverado in 2019 Sales

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:41 am

On looks alone, the Ram is pure sex compared to either the GM line up, or the Ford.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:37 am

ya but the chevy Looks like sin in its most recent generation... i havent met many people in real life who actually prefer the new face of chevy...

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:03 am

blueneo03 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:37 am
i havent met many people in real life who actually prefer the new face of chevy...

Getting people to borrow that kind of cash, either leasing or buying, on something that doesn't 100% appeal to them is proving to be a tough sell.

It's one thing buying a used vehicle for a beater, because if you really don't like the looks of it, you don't feel so bad if it gets a ding or dent, and it doesn't cost more than your house.

But a brand new vehicle, to start thinking what the hell can I do to improve the hideous looks right out of the gate?

Answer: I know, I'll buy something else! :lol:

And the obnoxious headlights on both the Chevys and the Fords, makes me want to mount a gatling gun on my roof rack...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:28 pm

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:58 pm

Damn. That sucks. What a bunch of dicks.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 am

+1

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:47 am

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:36 am

Further burying of the Chrysler name. Not a fan.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:59 am

Talk to your doctor before using Stellantis
So true, it sounds like a new drug. Or a new illness.

I don't have long honey, I've got the Stellantis-29 virus... :happy2: :sad3: :puke:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Off-Topic”