Dodge/Chrysler News

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:41 am

gtxtreme19 wrote:Image
Is that a photoshop or is Alfa really selling a coupe? I was being sarcastic but hopeful. 3GN Neon if you ask me. :thumbup:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:05 am

I don't like the grille, but otherwise that's a pretty nice looking hatch.
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:33 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:Is that a photoshop or is Alfa really selling a coupe? I was being sarcastic but hopeful. 3GN Neon if you ask me. :thumbup:
http://www.alfaromeo.com/com/models/giulietta
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:53 am

TheRandom1 wrote:I don't like the grille, but otherwise that's a pretty nice looking hatch.
:withstupid: Remove the Alfa snout and add the Dart fascia. :thumbup:

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:59 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
TheRandom1 wrote:I don't like the grille, but otherwise that's a pretty nice looking hatch.
:withstupid: Remove the Alfa snout and add the Dart fascia. :thumbup:
:laughing3: ... I like the way you think, David :)
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:02 pm

It will take more than just the fascia.

If they are compatible, you would need to swap the entire front clip. The headlights, hood and fenders are also different.

It would look a lot nicer with the Dart front clip tho.

Except that body line mismatch.... eh it ain't happening.

Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Would you buy an Alfa Romeo Giulietta?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/vo ... -giulietta
05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:33 pm

occasional demons wrote:It will take more than just the fascia.

If they are compatible, you would need to swap the entire front clip. The headlights, hood and fenders are also different.

It would look a lot nicer with the Dart front clip tho.
That's what I meant- thanks for correcting me. :thumbup:

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:42 pm

I like the front with the exception of the grille, it reminds me of a husky girl in a thong bikini.
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 am

gtxtreme19 wrote:I like the front with the exception of the grille, it reminds me of a husky girl in a thong bikini.

.....Just my style.

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:27 pm

INVUJerry wrote:
gtxtreme19 wrote:I like the front with the exception of the grille, it reminds me of a husky girl in a thong bikini.

.....Just my style.
Preach on brotha.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 am

2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat costs $64,990

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/20 ... midvd.dpuf
05 Dodge SRT-4

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:09 am

Charger R/T Funny Car stages at the SEMA Show

http://autoweek.com/article/sema-show/n ... dailydrive
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:14 am

LOL, looks more like a Mustang funny car. Slap some J F R decals on there. . .

The new Bat Mobile!

http://www.nhra.com/story/story.aspx?F_ ... eSupport=1
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:44 pm

occasional demons wrote:LOL, looks more like a Mustang funny car. Slap some J F R decals on there . . .

The new Bat Mobile!

http://www.nhra.com/story/story.aspx?F_ ... eSupport=1
John Force's relationship has ended with Ford, so he could switch to the Dodge Charger body also :lol:
Wikipedia wrote:On July 26, 2013 it was announced that after the 2014 racing season Ford Motor Company will no longer be a part of John Force Racing. It was also announced that after the 2014 racing season, primary sponsor Castrol would be leaving JFR after a 29 year business relationship.
05 Dodge SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:49 am

Why the Charger Hellcat can't be ordered with a manual transmission
Fans of truly irreverent amounts of horsepower will find lots to love in the form of the 2015 Dodge Challenger and Charger Hellcat models. Both of them send 707 ridiculous horsepower to the rear wheels; the only question is whether you want your absurdity delivered with two or four doors. Oh, and whether or not you want the option of a manual transmission.

If you prefer rowing your own gears, the choice is made for you; there is no manual gearbox option available on the Charger Hellcat, or any Charger model at all, for that matter. Wonder why? Well, besides the fact that almost nobody – sorry, clutch fans, but it's true – would choose to buy a Charger with a manual transmission, that is? The answer, according to an industry insider in a post written on Jalopnik's Opposite Lock forum, is the floorpan.

It's probably not a surprise to most of our readers that the Dodge Challenger and Charger share a large portion of their chassis structure, which is codenamed LX at Chrysler, but there are still some significant differences under the skin due to the shorter wheelbase and two-door coupe bodyshell of the Challenger, as opposed to the sedan shape of the Charger. One of the differences is the floorpan, the huge chunk of sheetmetal that makes up the floor of the car and props up such essential items as the car's seats.

According to user doodon2whls, the Dodge Challenger was crash tested way back in 2008 when it first hit the market with a floorpan stamping that can accommodate a manual transmission. The Charger, though, was crash tested and approved by the government two years earlier with the automatic-transmission floorpan stamping only, which means it would need to be completely recertified for sale in the US, with new crash tests included, if Dodge decided to offer it with a six-speed manual. That's an expensive proposition, especially considering how few manual models Dodge would ever sell.

Good thing, then, that the eight-speed automatic transmission that Dodge pairs with pretty much all of its rear-wheel-drive vehicles is such a good unit. Having tested numerous Charger and Challenger models in all states of tune and with every available transmission option, we're here to tell you that you'll be plenty pleased with the Hellcat's 707 horsepower, whether it's being channeled through an automatic or manual transmission.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:04 am

Not that I will be buying either model anytime soon (unless I win the lottery :lol:) but I wouldn't want an ATX. I'll be surprised if someone doesn't mod one of these to accommodate an MTX (like the Prowler owner who put in a Hemi with a Shaker hood).

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:07 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:Not that I will be buying either model anytime soon (unless I win the lottery :lol:) but I wouldn't want an ATX. I'll be surprised if someone doesn't mod one of these to accommodate an MTX (like the Prowler owner who put in a Hemi with a Shaker hood).
Switching to a manual in the Charger, even though it would take lots of money, might not require a lot of actual work. I guess it would depend on how similar the Challenger drive train electronics are to the Charger. If a Challenger PCM could be used, it may be a pretty straightforward swap with very little massaging and customization necessary.

I can definitely sympathize with not wanting to incur the cost of retesting the platform solely to accommodate a manual. This is something I run into at work all the time with regulatory approvals. Only the design that was tested is officially approved and any changes will nullify it. Chrysler likely wouldn't recoup the cost with the very few manuals they might sell afterwards.
Jon J.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:31 am

jonnymopar wrote:
Midnight_Rider wrote:Not that I will be buying either model anytime soon (unless I win the lottery :lol:) but I wouldn't want an ATX. I'll be surprised if someone doesn't mod one of these to accommodate an MTX (like the Prowler owner who put in a Hemi with a Shaker hood).
I can definitely sympathize with not wanting to incur the cost of retesting the platform solely to accommodate a manual. This is something I run into at work all the time with regulatory approvals. Only the design that was tested is officially approved and any changes will nullify it. Chrysler likely wouldn't recoup the cost with the very few manuals they might sell afterwards.
I believe if you actually drove a new Charger R/T ( ~ 370hp) with the 8 speed automatic and paddle shifters, you wouldn't want a 6 speed manual.
The auto transmission is that good ... nobody, even the late Ronnie Sox, can shift a manual transmission faster. :rockon:
05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:24 am

I know that I'm out of sync with current thinking. Shifting speed isn't the issue for me- I just prefer to do the work myself. My work Subaru has paddle shifters- 84K miles on the clock and I've never touched them.

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:09 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:I know that I'm out of sync with current thinking. Shifting speed isn't the issue for me- I just prefer to do the work myself.
Well, if you're out of sync, then I am too. It used to be that manuals shifted faster. That doesn't apply anymore. It also used to be that maunals got better gas mileage. That's out the window now too. It's all in loving what you drive and loving to drive. For me, that involves a third pedal. It isn't something I'll be giving up any time soon, despite the car market in America giving me less and less cars to choose from. However, the Dart, the Focus, and the Mazda3 are all available with manuals, and those are my front runners at the moment.
Jon J.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:32 am

jonnymopar wrote:
Midnight_Rider wrote:I know that I'm out of sync with current thinking. Shifting speed isn't the issue for me- I just prefer to do the work myself.
Well, if you're out of sync, then I am too. It used to be that manuals shifted faster. That doesn't apply anymore. It also used to be that maunals got better gas mileage. That's out the window now too. It's all in loving what you drive and loving to drive. For me, that involves a third pedal. It isn't something I'll be giving up any time soon, despite the car market in America giving me less and less cars to choose from. However, the Dart, the Focus, and the Mazda3 are all available with manuals, and those are my front runners at the moment.
To be honest with both of you, when I started driving manual "three on the tree" was the only thing available ... automatics were a novelty.
Now when driving on a country road with no traffic, running through the gears in the SRT-4 is great fun. However when I'm stuck in traffic,
I curse the clutch.
I actually think I'd like the SRT-4 better if it had a modern auto transmission, like the six-speed in the Dodge Avengers.

Let the flaming begin :rofl:
05 Dodge SRT-4

ckrock946
2GN Member

Post by ckrock946 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #141

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:02 pm

I have had the 6 speed in the Avenger, and now have a 6 speed manual in the Dart.

The 6 speed auto will piss you off to no end, especially if you are using the autostick. it takes so long to shift that way that unless you slap it 3K before redline, you'll blow the motor.

The 6 speed in my Dart is the first manual I've owned, but it really is so much fun. Daily driving kind of sucks (traffic) but it really kicks ass for fun driving.
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:09 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:I have had the 6 speed in the Avenger, and now have a 6 speed manual in the Dart.

The 6 speed auto will piss you off to no end, especially if you are using the autostick. it takes so long to shift that way that unless you slap it 3K before redline, you'll blow the motor.

The 6 speed in my Dart is the first manual I've owned, but it really is so much fun. Daily driving kind of sucks (traffic) but it really kicks ass for fun driving.
You probably didn't have the 292 hp Pentastar V6 engine in the Avenger. The Avenger is way too heavy for the same tired old 2.4 liter
4 cylinder engine left over from the Dodge Caliber.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/24.html
05 Dodge SRT-4

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:57 pm

No, I had the 2.4,however the six speed auto with autostick is the same across both engines. The same problems I had with mine, the 3.6 guys had in theirs. It's a slow shifting trans in manual mode.

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:28 pm

theColonel wrote:To be honest with both of you, when I started driving manual "three on the tree" was the only thing available ... automatics were a novelty. Now when driving on a country road with no traffic, running through the gears in the SRT-4 is great fun. However when I'm stuck in traffic, I curse the clutch. I actually think I'd like the SRT-4 better if it had a modern auto transmission, like the six-speed in the Dodge Avengers.

Let the flaming begin :rofl:
No flaming necessary. Lane, you're in your freaking 70's. I've got respect for the fact that you're driving an SRT-4 instead of a damn couch-on-4-wheels Buick or I-only-buy-what-Consumer-Reports-tells-me-to-buy-becase-I-can't-think-for-myself Camry or something else that's completely lifeless. So what if you hate manuals in traffic? Join the club! Just because I'm very particular about having a manual doesn't mean I love it 100% of the time. But, my dislike for it when in traffic doesn't even come close to outweighing how much I enjoy it everywhere else. I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with traffic regularly because it ruins driving no matter what car you're in.
Jon J.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 pm

jonnymopar wrote:No flaming necessary. Lane, you're in your freaking 70's. I've got respect for the fact that you're driving an SRT-4 instead of a damn couch-on-4-wheels Buick or I-only-buy-what-Consumer-Reports-tells-me-to-buy-becase-I-can't-think-for-myself Camry or something else that's completely lifeless. So what if you hate manuals in traffic? Join the club! Just because I'm very particular about having a manual doesn't mean I love it 100% of the time. But, my dislike for it when in traffic doesn't even come close to outweighing how much I enjoy it everywhere else. I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with traffic regularly because it ruins driving no matter what car you're in.
I went to Cabela's (sporting goods) in my SRT-4, and someone in the parking lot stopped me and said, "I never expected someone who looks like you,
to climb out of a car like that !" My response, "Growing old was unavoidable, but growing up is still optional." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My 1952 Chevy street rod has a Mopar 360 crate motor, and a Torqueflite 727 transmission. I wouldn't want a 4speed manual transmission in that car.
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 pm

Heck even back in the day no one really wanted the 3 and 4 speed manuals. Someone was always looking for a way to get a 5 speed in there when they were introduced. But there weren't many at that time that had the capacity that the older MT's had. You were stuck, because nothing else would handle the torque.

Sure there were folks the wanted them, because that's all there was. It's like the so so looking constantly bitching chick, and being stuck on an island from birth, you want her, because you don't know something better exists, or will eventually come along. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:04 pm

05 Dodge SRT-4

Return to “Off-Topic”