Dodge/Chrysler News

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Dodge/Chrysler News

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:05 pm

DETROIT — About 1 million Fiat Chrysler vehicles with four-cylinder engines in the U.S. may spew too much pollution, and the company is working with government officials on a recall.

Fiat Chrysler says in a quarterly filing with securities regulators that it found the excess pollution during internal testing of vehicles with 2.4-liter “Tigershark” engines. The engines date to at least 2013 and are used in several Jeep SUVs as well as some cars.

FCA says it's working to identify the affected vehicles and develop a repair.

“Upon the completion of this work, we intend to review our proposed solution with the EPA and will likely initiate a recall campaign,” FCA said in the filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The EPA said in a statement Wednesday that the vehicles will be recalled.

“As this population ages, some vehicles exceed in-use emission requirements, depending on drive cycle and mileage,” Fiat Chrysler said in a statement. The company is testing the repairs and will tell customers when the free service becomes available.

The vehicles and model years covered by the recall were not listed in the filing. Among those with the 2.4-liter engines are current versions of the Jeep Compass, Cherokee and Renegade SUVs as well as the discontinued Dodge Dart compact car and Chrysler 200 midsize car. The engines are on five of the company's 21 current model lines, but in some cases have been replaced by newer motors, Fiat Chrysler said.

The issue is not connected with any other emissions problem, and FCA said it was unrelated to lawsuits claiming excessive oil use by the Tigershark engine. The EPA does not plan any enforcement action against the company, Fiat Chrysler spokesman Eric Mayne said.

The company's disclosure was first reported Wednesday by the Detroit Free Press.

Emissions recalls happen fairly frequently. The EPA, in a report last year, said there were 86 such recalls in 2017 covering 4.9 million passenger vehicles in 2017, the latest year for which figures are available.

Fiat Chrysler agreed last year to pay hundreds of millions of dollars, including a $300 million fine to the U.S. government, to settle allegations that it cheated on emissions tests.

Under a deal with the Justice Department and the EPA, the automaker will recall and repair the more than 104,000 out-of-compliance diesel Jeep SUVs and Ram pickup trucks.

Separately, Fiat Chrysler also agreed to pay $280 million to settle lawsuits brought by vehicle owners — leading to payouts of about $2,800 per owner — and will pay $19 million to California to settle similar state regulatory allegations.

Federal officials alleged the vehicles, made between 2014 and 2016, were equipped with diesel engines programmed to run pollution controls during lab tests that would turn off under certain conditions on the road.

Fiat Chrysler maintained that it didn’t deliberately scheme to cheat emissions tests and the company didn’t admit wrongdoing.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/05/fia ... pollution/
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:24 am

Meh, things happen as time passes.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:34 am

The new TRX Hellcat-powered Ram is set to debut next week. That should be cool.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:30 am

hellcat everything that weighs over 4k lbs

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:47 pm

JeremyJ wrote:The new TRX Hellcat-powered Ram is set to debut next week.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/inside-civi ... 00653.html

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2021-ram-tr ... 02001.html

120 mph max speedo?

Possibly being all a digital display, behind that needle, I bet there is a few hundred $ upgrade available, or more like a few thousand $ package.

Sort of like the $800 option to turn on the full tail light on the Darts...

A few electronic dipswitch flips, and funds transfers later ... now it displays 200 MPH.

This thing is rated for 100 mph plus sprints across rough terrain, so a 120 mph max indicated speed seems a bit conservative.

If it is fixed at 120, that's pretty unfortunate for a Hellcat package.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Matthewicoms
Fresh Fish

Post by Matthewicoms » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:26 am

SPAM

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Re: Drifting in the snow.

Post by RainbowWrench » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:12 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:hellcat everything that weighs over 4k lbs
Couldn't have said it better If I tried.

Sent from my S96Pro using Tapatalk

RainbowWrench :idea:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:15 am

Too bad that the writer doesn't know how to spell "Kokomo".

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 am

Well, "Stellantis" announced the Hornet, along with the Hornet "GLH".

I fucking hate it. The original GLH was a light, tossable, underdog. This is a 3500+ lb SUV. Neat technology; horrific platform.

Awful that you can't get a FWD or AWD Dodge with a manual, but you can go out and get a Corolla station wagon with a 6 speed manual that looks great.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:32 am

INVUJerry wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 am
Well, "Stellantis" announced the Hornet, along with the Hornet "GLH".

I fucking hate it. The original GLH was a light, tossable, underdog. This is a 3500+ lb SUV. Neat technology; horrific platform.

Awful that you can't get a FWD or AWD Dodge with a manual, but you can go out and get a Corolla station wagon with a 6 speed manual that looks great.
So, a Dodge Aztek, as it were, :-(

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a383321 ... -canceled/

This was in the Kokomo Tribune this morning. Gee, so now my wallet gets to be picked to subsidize EV charging stations that I won't be using.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:51 am

Most people that buy these vehicles will be able to charge them at home for pennies on the dollar. Public EV charging stations usually aren't free.

If I had to buy a new commuter, it would be a Nissan Leaf SV, that I would charge with a 220V outlet at my garage. I think the payment on it would offset my current fuel costs.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:25 pm

All I know is that, in the local paper this morning, there was an editorial stating that the state of Indiana should be providing EV charging stations along interstates. That means that it would come out of my wallet.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:41 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:25 pm
All I know is that, in the local paper this morning, there was an editorial stating that the state of Indiana should be providing EV charging stations along interstates. That means that it would come out of my wallet.
They would be paid for by the people using them, they won’t be free. In fact, I’d almost guarantee that it will be contracted out to a private company to be installed, serviced, and maintained.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:53 am

agreed, new hornet is not my taste. another cookie cutter crossover. hopefully for stellantis its not another flop like the dart was.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g40 ... y/?slide=1 photo gallery here

Concept of the new challenger is pretty cool. I dig that. but who knows how much it will change when it goes into production.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/17/dodge-u ... a-srt.html

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:24 am

The Charger concept does seem like really interesting technology. And it looks really good for an EV, it’s not shaped like a bar of soap like most modern EVs. I heard from an inside source that it should have a 500 mile range. I do think the fake 2 stroke revving sound is cringe tho.

If I didn’t have a wife and kids I could probably afford the 6 figure price tag. But alas, I’m still the sole provider of the family.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:31 am

INVUJerry wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:24 am
The Charger concept does seem like really interesting technology. And it looks really good for an EV, it’s not shaped like a bar of soap like most modern EVs. I heard from an inside source that it should have a 500 mile range. I do think the fake 2 stroke revving sound is cringe tho.

If I didn’t have a wife and kids I could probably afford the 6 figure price tag. But alas, I’m still the sole provider of the family.
yeah horrible vacuum cleaner sound.

Your last comment is interesting. I am sure your wife would love to hear that LOL

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:24 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:31 am
INVUJerry wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:24 am

yeah horrible vacuum cleaner sound.

Your last comment is interesting. I am sure your wife would love to hear that LOL
Lol she makes silly comments like that all the time honestly. It’s not a big deal between us lmao

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:58 pm

I really like the Hornet - I think it will do great against the CX5, CRV, and RAV4.

As for the Charger - I really love how it looks. All the old Mopar "purists" can now buy their 2 DOOR charger again, but with no ICE :lol: I like that Dodge added sound to the car, to make it feel like a car.. but they need to consider changing the actual note it currently has..
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:23 am

Haganracing wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:58 pm
I really like the Hornet - I think it will do great against the CX5, CRV, and RAV4.

As for the Charger - I really love how it looks. All the old Mopar "purists" can now buy their 2 DOOR charger again, but with no ICE :lol: I like that Dodge added sound to the car, to make it feel like a car.. but they need to consider changing the actual note it currently has..
I think the whole E-shift thing is an interesting idea, but it sounds like it's a CVT with fake gear selecting to simulate shifting. Would be great if they had a mode where you could select what would be the fastest vs what feels good.

The sound was supposed to sound like the car from the Wraith, but it doesn't quite capture the timbre of it. It sounds like an 80's electric version of a chainsaw.

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:06 am

I think the whole car scene is so traumatized by how horrible the CVT was, that any other simulated shifting is just so outrageous to even fathom. I'm sure it will be okay, and that's how a "performance" vehicle should come across. The feel, the sound, the look, the speed. Dodge is at least trying to deliver on this, even if they don't have it 100% right off the start.

In my opinion as it stands right now:
EV Charger > EV Mustang
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:31 pm

INVUJerry wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:23 am

I think the whole E-shift thing is an interesting idea, but it sounds like it's a CVT with fake gear selecting to simulate shifting. Would be great if they had a mode where you could select what would be the fastest vs what feels good.
Letting a CVT just be a CVT with no fake shifts is fastest.

Fake shifts was/is the dumbest thing they ever did.
They just slow things down. Let that bitch scream! :P
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:41 pm

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:14 am

Yeah, the Stellantis UAW local had a recent election and blasted the company for not having a replacement for the Dart. The company imports so many vehicles that could be assembled at Belvidere so closing the plant is pretty stupid.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:46 pm

I guess that's one way to accomplish "Slashing our carbon emissions by half by 2030 on the path to achieving carbon net zero in 2038"

The Cherokee ... is an aging model. It had its last major redesign in 2014.

Just let the gas powered models stagnate, so sales drop to unsustainable levels.

We looked at Cherokees before my wife bought her 2017 Forester in 2016. There just wasn't any comparison. The Jeep cost more, and offered far less.

She's had it for 7 plus years, and hasn't had any out of pocket expenses, other than oil changes.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:35 am

Since the neon left, there hasn't really been anything that excited me to run out and buy a Chrysler product. I'd like a charger as a daily, but that's only because I want a comfortable car that gets semi-decent gas mileage. We had a used 2014 Grand Caravan that I really liked, but I wouldn't be able to buy a new Pacifica. Even the used ones now are too much.

I'd like it if they made a GTi fighter, or hell even a Prius C combatant, but whatever. I'll keep putting some money and elbow grease into these neons and keep them on the road. At least they're fun to drive.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:35 pm

I like the Fiat 124 Abarth. I keep an eye on those. Be a fun car. But not a Dodge. Just part of Stellantis or whatever its called now.

Going to start seeing great prices on used cars here in about 3 months or so!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:14 am

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-do ... ok-review/
very last call challenger. Demon 170. 1025hp on e85. 900hp on 93. Right over $100k.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:03 pm

^^^ Those are starting to roll out. Stupid fast.

What do you guys think of the new Charger?
I think it looks great! 2 door for the win! Never thought about getting a new Dodge, but really liking the new Charger and what combos you can get with it. I would shoot for the 2 door ,6 pack, twin turbo 6 cylinder, 550hp
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6008 ... -revealed/

photos
https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g60 ... /?slide=12

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:14 am

The best thing (other than the ICE engine) is the return of the coupe. DaimlerChrysler made a terrible mistake by making the last gen a four door (other than probably the best police interceptor ever).

Stellantis has put the Tipton (Indiana) transmission plant up for sale. Biden can brag all he wants about Belvidere but we've lost Tipton.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/stellantis ... the-market

Return to “Off-Topic”