Dodge/Chrysler News

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Dodge/Chrysler News

Post by occasional demons » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:43 pm

Just a friendly reminder to those of you thinking about buying a 2020 Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak to drive to your local cruise night or car show, the car is not street legal. It might be turnkey and look like an amped up Challenger Demon, Redeye, or Hellcat, but make no mistake, this is a full-on race car. It’s also sold under a Mopar part number. For all the collectors out there, all 50 units scheduled for 2020 will have a unique serial number.

I was wondering about that. Probably has no VIN number, and therefore cannot be registered, or classified as a self assembled vehicle using existing parts, as they want VIN numbers and proof of purchase from all vehicles used to assemble a vehicle.

We used two different trucks to make one back in 1987. Had to have all the info from both trucks. Even though one was a 1978, and the other a 1979, it was titled as a 1987. The insurance agent tried to pull a fast one, and charge for insurance on a new 1987 truck. When asked if they were going to pay out for a new truck, they changed their tune in a hurry. :lol:
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Powered by a 354 cubic inch supercharged HEMI V8 and backed up by a 3 speed, manually shifted Turbo 400 automatic transmission.
So The Chevy guys shouldn't be complaining, it does after all have a GM transmission.
Bill
Help support 2GN!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:31 pm

Must be a solid trans to handle that kind of power of over 1500bhp. Everything must be solid to handle that kind of power haha

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 am

The TH400 is probably one of the most indestructible automatics ever made for passenger cars and trucks. I seen a few GM fan boys destroy their engines using the one feature it has: The ability to shift into second gear, while leaving it in the "1" position. It is at a fairly high RPM, but they would just leave it in 1st, when street racing, so it shifted at full power, and usually gave the car a pretty good jump ahead, slamming into 2nd gear. But a few found out the engines weren't up to the task.

But anyways, the trans never failed, always the engine's bottom end. At least it was always the obnoxious dicks that deserved it. :P
Bill
Help support 2GN!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 pm

^Wow never knew that, crazy!

Here is some news:

Fiat Chrysler patent shows a turbocharged inline-six engine

The 3.0-liter Global Medium Engine codenamed 'Tornado' looks real

The rumor that Fiat Chrysler is developing an inline six-cylinder surfaced on Allpar more than a year ago. In a follow-up report in December last year, Allpar tapped its sources to add more information, like the codename "Tornado" and the plan for the turbocharged motor to replace the 5.7-liter Hemi V8. Even so, it only made sense to speak of the engine as a rumor at the time. Now we have our first bit of circumstantial evidence, Mopar Insiders having found a patent issued to FCA that uses drawings of an inline-six to describe a system for tracking elements in exhaust gases in a turbocharged inline-six. FCA applied for the patent on November 1, 2017, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted it April 2, 2019.

As with everything else in a patent application, the drawing cannot be an accident. The U.S. PTO granted two other engine-related patents to FCA on March 19 and April 2 this year, and FCA used drawings of a V6 in both of those applications.

The December Allpar report presumed one version of the Tornado engine would get a single, twin-scroll turbo and slot into service with Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram. Another version with twin turbos, and perhaps revised heads, could do time with Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and perhaps SRT. Mopar Insiders doesn't break down turbo count, but cites its sources as revealing an output range of 360 horsepower up to 525 horsepower. FCA's E-Booster technology, originally mentioned as a way to help a revived Alfa Romeo 8C get 700 hp, will enable larger turbos on performance versions of the Tornado I-6. E-Booster electrifies some aspect of the turbocharger — FCA hasn't got into the details yet — to eliminate lag while providing 25 percent more power. Mopar Insiders' output figures would give the engine long enough legs to replace the 3.2-liter and 3.6-liter Pentastar V6s, as well as the 5.7-liter Hemi V8. The site said the Tornado will also replace the canceled 7.0-liter Banshee V8.

The 3.0-liter Tornado Global Medium Engine Turbocharged 6 (GME T-6), based on the Hurricane 2.0-liter GME four-cylinder (GME I-4), is expected to go into FCA products around the world. We'll wait to see how the PSA merger might affect allocation. Displacement will come in a hair below three liters so as to avoid tax thresholds in certain countries, and it was said engineers were trying to keep the inline-six no more than three inches longer than the 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder. The initial application could be in the next-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee, or in the Jeep Wagoneer, although it could be late availability on both since the straight-six isn't predicted to arrive for a few years.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:14 pm

A new inline six sounds cool, especially with a turbo. The thought of replacing the Hemi is a bummer, though.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm

It will be interesting to see if they can actually get any fuel economy out of it. I haven't seen an inline 6 yet that has gotten better than 20 mpg. They make great torque, but they also seem to suck at efficiency. None of the slant six cars I had could do better than 15 mpg, my Jeep XJ only made 21 mpg once, and that was strictly turnpike/highway miles, once I got off the highway, it plummeted back to 13 mpg. The 3.9 Magnum in my dad's Dakota regularly got 21 MPG or better, and had better performance.

Ford's 300 six is no fuel miser either.

The Tornado name is nothing new. I had one in a 1963 Gladiator pick up.

Unfortunately it was pretty well neglected and beat when I bought the truck. I ended up putting the cab onto my Ramcharger chassis, with a 400 for power.

This is no lie, it was a pretty unique engine.
One unique feature of the design was that the camshaft only had six lobes. One lobe operated both the intake and exhaust valve for each cylinder. This made engineering cam profiles a bit more difficult than conventional two lobe per cylinder (one per valve) designs, but allowed the valves to be better arranged for the cross-flow head. Valves were directly opposite their respective ports, and ports were short with wide radius turns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Tornado_engine

But I guess time will tell if they can overcome whatever it is that makes them such gas hogs. If it ever makes it into production.
Bill
Help support 2GN!

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Fiat Chrysler brushes off GM lawsuit

Post by theColonel » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 am

52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 am

Poor GM... boo hoo hoo. Maybe you should have taken Sergio up on that merger offer.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:32 pm

With American automakers pulling out of the small car and sedan markets, Asian manufacturers are beginning to reap the rewards.

Sales of compact cars and family sedans have been slowing in recent years, and while Ford, GM and FCA cut their small-car lines for being less than profitable, they were still finding customers—customers who must now look elsewhere for their replacement vehicles.

It appears American buyers are looking where they traditionally have whenever domestic offerings fall short: overseas.

"Cars" being the key word here. These stats overlook the key elephant in the room: the pickup truck. Believe us when we say that the domestic manufacturers don't miss their compacts. The Ford F-Series, Ram Pickup and Chevrolet Silverado are still America's top sellers by far, and in that order.
https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1 ... an-imports

https://calmatters.org/environment/2019 ... standards/
Bill
Help support 2GN!

Return to “Off-Topic”