New Vehicle Time

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
racer12306
Junior Admin

New Vehicle Time

Post by racer12306 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:47 pm

After a lot of thought we have decided that we need to replace the Caliber. We like the Caliber (except the gas mileage) but a twin stroller is just that much too big to fit in the back. There are ways around that for the time being but we would still need something bigger in a year or so when the kids get bigger.

We are looking at new or one year old lightly used vehicles (so 2010 and 2011 vehicles) and I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with any of these:

Chevy Equinox
Ford Escape
Mazda CX-7
Honda CR-V
Toyota Rav4

These are about the only vehicles that I can come up with in our price range in the size that we would need. I'm trying to stay in the low 20,000 area. We still need to test drive these and do some measuring to make sure it's what we need.

Thoughts? More vehicle suggestions?
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:56 pm

I have driven the 2011 CR-Vs...they are nice and ride well. Lots of room in them. As for the Equinox, I dont have experience with the 10' or 11' model but at work our old company vehicle was a 07' and it felt very cheap on the inside and small.
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:01 pm

I've heard that about the previous generation Equinox. It's the reason my mother in law didn't buy one.

I've heard the new ones are much nicer. The fact that they are rated at 32MPG highway doesn't hurt either.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 pm

My sister has a 06 equinox (I think) and I really liked it. It has plenty of room (imho) and seems to get pretty good gas mileage. For example, when I drove it to Chicago last year, I drove (I'm 6'3) and my dad sat behind me and had enough room (he's 5'11ish)

So for you, wifey and two little kids... I imagine you'd have no issues.
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:05 pm

The new ones do look a lot nicer and possibly bigger. Never got a chance to look inside of one or drive one.
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

Paul56
2GN Member

Re: New Vehicle Time

Post by Paul56 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 pm

racer12306 wrote:After a lot of thought we have decided that we need to replace the Caliber. We like the Caliber (except the gas mileage) but a twin stroller is just that much too big to fit in the back. There are ways around that for the time being but we would still need something bigger in a year or so when the kids get bigger.

We are looking at new or one year old lightly used vehicles (so 2010 and 2011 vehicles) and I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with any of these:

Chevy Equinox
Ford Escape
Mazda CX-7
Honda CR-V
Toyota Rav4

These are about the only vehicles that I can come up with in our price range in the size that we would need. I'm trying to stay in the low 20,000 area. We still need to test drive these and do some measuring to make sure it's what we need.

Thoughts? More vehicle suggestions?
If it was mean I would look first at the Honda and Toyota in your list.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Fuck that, stay DCX! Journey or Nitro, FTW!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

Mopar_Korean
2GN Member

Post by Mopar_Korean » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:43 pm

I say Mazda CX7 or CX9 if you can swing it. They are really nice and I dont know what it is but nothing else feels like a mazda. It must be the steering or something. its just feels nice and tight.

The escape it ok. A bit heavy on the plastic interior peices (could be a good thing with kids I guess.) My aunt has one and it reminded me of the caliber.

CRV and Rav 4 seem no larger then a caliber IMO. Stroller, diaper bags, toys, drinks, wet wipes, it all takes up space quick.
Imported From Detroit
2001 Dodge Neon
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:55 pm

My wife really likes the CX-7 and the fact that in 2010 it started coming with an N/A engine (vs only being turbo prior) is a huge help.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Not a vehicle suggestion, but....

Side by side stroller, or in line?

From my observances, I would go with the in line. It fits on sidewalks/goes through doorways better. Some of the things I've seen with side by side strollers. You wonder if the poor kids lived long enough to get even with their parents. :lol:
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

Trappy
2GN Member

Post by Trappy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:Fuck that, stay DCX! Journey or Nitro, FTW!
Actually, it's more like Grand Caravan R/T FTW!
-Ty

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #95

Canada
Junior Admin

Post by Canada » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Any reason you're not looking at the Liberty, Journey or Nitro?

All have plenty of room, have semi decent fuel economy and definitely in your price range...

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:02 pm

occasional demons wrote:Not a vehicle suggestion, but....

From my observances, I would go with the in line. It fits on sidewalks/goes through doorways better. Some of the things I've seen with side by side strollers. You wonder if the poor kids lived long enough to get even with their parents. :lol:
We are looking at in line ones just to be able to pushing anywhere.
Canada wrote:Any reason you're not looking at the Liberty, Journey or Nitro?

All have plenty of room, have semi decent fuel economy and definitely in your price range...
Liberty: Too much money for a new one.
Journey: Might be a little bigger than we want. I'm a little concerned about fuel economy with the 4 cyl version because the same engine in the Caliber sucks. We probably will take a look at it.
Nitro: I'd honestly like more fuel economy out of the vehicle.

I'm also pretty sure that my wife doesn't like the looks of the Liberty/Nitro, but I will check.

The Equinox is definitely winning in the fuel economy department at a 32mpg hwy rating.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 pm

occasional demons wrote:Not a vehicle suggestion, but....

Yes, but then there is the fighting about who gets to sit up front with the inline stroller. This may encourage sibling rivalry.

But the inline has less wind drag than the side-by-side and thus less rolling resistance. I'm sure if the parents alternate who sits up front there will be less sibling rivalry and resentment as they grow up.

:lol:
2011 Honda Fit Sport

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 am

I hate to suggest something other than a Chrysler Group vehicle but have you looked at a Chevy Uplander? I drive one for my part-time job and, for a GM product :roll: , it isn't that bad.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:10 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:I hate to suggest something other than a Chrysler Group vehicle but have you looked at a Chevy Uplander? I drive one for my part-time job and, for a GM product :roll: , it isn't that bad.
Gasp!!!!! :ban: :ban: :ban:
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:11 am

Well, he had pretty much already shot down the Mopars that were suggested...
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

k-b-s-neon02
2GN Member

Post by k-b-s-neon02 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:31 am

HOW BOUT A FORD EDGE?? I JUST TRADED MY 06 CHARGRER FOR AN 08 EDGE AND ITS AWSOME..LOL

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:39 am

Hmm, my mom's Caliber does pretty good on fuel mileage. She gets about 32 with it. (2.0/CVT) It took a crap in the fuel mileage around 60,000, but new iridium plugs fixed that.
Bill
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:34 am

A, he said (maybe not here but in my AIM chat with him last night) that she refuses to get a mini van, so the Uplander is out.

Plus, we have an uplander at my work with 80K on it and it's been nothing but headaches. We've already had to replace the steering rack (twice) and the struts/shocks.

Plus for us tall guys it has no leg room, so Frank would die on a semi-long trip.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 am

TheRandom1 wrote: she refuses to get a mini van, so the Uplander is out....

...so Frank would die on a semi-long trip.
So you're eluding it might be an option for her after say, 30 years of marriage? :lol:
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:44 am

Yup, by that point if she's not tying him to the roof, it would be a fantastic choice.

Frank and I actually talked about putting an LT1 into an Astro van, which is how I know she won't go for a mini van.

But how sweet would that be?!?!?!?!?!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:00 am

I can see her concerns: She want's the children to grow up with normal looking faces. A permanent grin would cause them troubles as they grow up. :rofl:

Take Heath Ledger for example. :shock:
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:03 am

Oh that's cruel... funny, but cruel.

I think the main problem is that she wouldn't be able to take the kids anywhere because Frank would quit his job and be at the track with the van 24/7! (hell, I would be)

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Ive got experance with all the vehicles you mentioned. Of the two of them Id recomend the equinox/terrain. Between the two of them Id go for the terrain better styling, better interior, and, more standard features (back up camera, sliding 2nd row, DIC, heated mirrors, ect) if you want to come up here I can get you a good deal on a Terrain

Forest Green 2k
2GN Member

Post by Forest Green 2k » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:58 pm

I have nothing but good things to say about our Rav4, except the inability to turn off traction control on the '07, lol. Power is great even in the 4 cyl versions, great gas mileage! Lots of room and all the seats can fold down. I transport our lawn mower in it, fits completely inside. At least test drive one out.
Mopar_Korean wrote:Rav 4 seem no larger then a caliber IMO. Stroller, diaper bags, toys, drinks, wet wipes, it all takes up space quick.
You're totally wrong!

It also has a large compartment in the back under everything where you could fit toys, drinks, wipes, bags, etc. since the spare tire is on the back door.
Last edited by Forest Green 2k on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:09 pm

I really liked the new Mitsubishi Outlander.. It's worth a test drive Frank.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Buy a neon :lol:
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:37 pm

smart car. Oh, wait, you want to fit MORE in a car.
Last edited by JeffM on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Since there was so much since I last logged in:

Uplander = minivan = big no from the wife

LS1 Astro FTW

The Ford Edge is too much money.

My wife couldn't get past the spare tire on the rear door so we didn't drive it.

I'll have to run the Mitsubishi by the wife and see what she says.

Blair: What kind of mileage are we talking about? I don't remember what kind of dealer you work for.

So we went and drove some vehicles today:

Chevy Equinox: Great smooth ride, good advertised fuel economy (32mpg with the 2.4L 4 cyl). Little disappointed that the LS trim only has a few color options.

Mazda CX-7: ok ride, the Equinox is better. More road noise than the Equinox.

Honda CR-V: nice ride, quiet. very nice vehicle.

Dodge Journey: good ride, reasonable power from the 2.4. I was concerned about power since it's the same engine as the Caliber which is lacking, however I feel it's the CVT sucking up extra power because it feels much better with a 4 speed behind it. Very disappointed with the rear hatch opening. It's only slightly bigger than the Caliber.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Return to “Off-Topic”