The Car Show

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
OverDrive418
2GN Member

The Car Show

Post by OverDrive418 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm a HUGE Top Gear UK Fan. I've seen every episode of every season many times, so its kinda been the benchmark for any car show I've seen on TV.

When Top Gear made a US version I was immediately skeptical that it wouldn't live up to the Top Gear legacy...until I heard Tanner Foust was one of the hosts, then my interest perked up. Watched the first season and quickly made up my mind it sucked. Its a clone. Its uninventive. Its crap. Tanner is a driver, knows a lot about types of cars and how to drive them, and he's kinda pretty (Richard Hammond) so that worked out well. But then you got Capt Plaid and Moley...whats that all about? You basically got two interchangable hosts who contribute nothing but quips and rants and jabs at each other about everything in the show. I wish Jay Leno (or someone of equal enthusiasm and knowledge of the automotive world) would have been on it but I don't know if the show could afford him. So for me Top Gear USA is a loss.

But now The Car Show is on, and so far...I kinda like it. Its entertaining. Its informative. Its fun to watch. It has a smart-ass but knowledgeble host in Adam Corolla (Jeremy Clarkson), a hip cool black dude whos into appearences (Richard Hammond), and a older conservitive fellow who's into facts and practicality (James May). A good mix, but again there's this large fellow who's head looks like a chubby stubby with a goatee who really does nothing for the show but give his worthless quips, rants, and jabs about everything in the show. He's redundant, you already have Adam Corolla who doesn't need a sidekick! I think if the show got rid of him you'd have a Top Gear like program without the Top Gear legacy to live up to.

Thats my thoughts on it, what do you guys think?
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car. Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you're going when you hit the wall, and torque is how far you drag the wall with you.

slaw
2GN Member

Post by slaw » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:33 pm

agreed

caustic neon
2GN Member

Post by caustic neon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:40 pm

ditto
Bacon is a Vegetable

Neons owned
2003 Dodge SXT (MAGGIE) = Dead X 3
1997 Dodge Highline DOHC coupe = Sold
1996 Dodge sedan (Baby) SOHC = Sold
1996 Dodge espresso coupe SOHC (Stella) = Dead
1998 Plymouth ACR------- more to come

DOSneons
2GN Member

Post by DOSneons » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:14 pm

what is this car show? when is it on? what channel?

Lantern04rt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by Lantern04rt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:26 pm

DOSneons wrote:what is this car show? when is it on? what channel?

Its on speed network check your local listings .

To answer the op I like both shows really I mean they are kinda alike though in style adam corolla seems to do a good job though on the car show.While top gear doesn't quite to me live up to its name.

DOSneons
2GN Member

Post by DOSneons » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:56 pm

tivo'd

caustic neon
2GN Member

Post by caustic neon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:47 pm

I like American Top Gear but its just not the same as the UK original. Just cant duplicate an original.
Bacon is a Vegetable

Neons owned
2003 Dodge SXT (MAGGIE) = Dead X 3
1997 Dodge Highline DOHC coupe = Sold
1996 Dodge sedan (Baby) SOHC = Sold
1996 Dodge espresso coupe SOHC (Stella) = Dead
1998 Plymouth ACR------- more to come

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:50 pm

caustic neon wrote:I like American Top Gear but its just not the same as the UK original. Just cant duplicate an original.
:withstupid:
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:40 pm

caustic neon wrote:I like American Top Gear but its just not the same as the UK original. Just cant duplicate an original.
Agreed. I like that it's relevant to America. Its jokes (while some being scripted) are culturally specific and understandable. Every time TGUK makes a reference to the queen or some obscure British celebrity I get lost. It may never be as good as TGUK, but for only being on its second season (TGUK is on its 17th) it's pretty damn good.

I don't like Adam Corrola. So I don't know if I could ever get into 'The Car Show'.

ianguilly
2GN Member

Post by ianguilly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:55 am

I usually watch all 3 shows.
-Neon #3 1999 Neon R/T coupe,DOHC MTX
-Neon #4 1998 Neon Alpine green coupe SOHC MTX -daily shit box

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member #110

RawkBunny
2GN Member

Post by RawkBunny » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:20 pm

We watch it, it's not bad.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #116

SC62391
2GN Member

Post by SC62391 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Top Gear is hilarious, their comedy is perfect imo. American top gear is dry and boring when they aren't in a car. From what i have seen of the car show i like it. Closer to Top gear then American Top Gear ever was
There's no "Man" in automatic

2001 Dodge Neon R/T - Sold :Cry1:
1993 240sx - Sold

Return to “Off-Topic”