Page 1 of 1

Got Popped Racing, need advice

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:55 pm
by cdewalt1985
ok guys got popped last night and charged with Racing on Highways, Here is the situation, I was passing someone on a double yellow, dumb I know, Cop pulls me over and says I was racing. Only thing I was charged with is racing on highways, Also says I was racing to overtake another vehicle. I was not charged with Speeding, Careless driving, wreckless driving, Simply just racing on highways. My question is, Does anyone know if this carries any points on the license in PA? Also if no points will it result in loosing license? Simply got a $300 dollar ticket so if no points then I shouldnt loose them?

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 pm
by dvon17
Calling the court will be your best option. They don't charge for that info. @ least not here.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:04 am
by mjrpaine
I know here that a racing charge includes wreckless driving, driving to endanger, speeding (with out showing an actual speed), and one or two more charges all included. I think they usually take your license right away here ... so be thankful you still have yours for now.

As stated ... call the court house and ask.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:14 am
by cdewalt1985
ok thank you guys

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:18 am
by occasional demons
Um, was the car you passed pulled over and also charged? It takes two willing parties to "Race"

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:41 am
by cdewalt1985
no the other vehicle was not stopped at all

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:07 am
by C1DoG
IMO... sounds like the most you should have been charged with was speeding and passing in a no passing zone.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:10 am
by a23dranger
i'm gunna say your loosing your license.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:37 am
by RADARsx 2.0
I know up here any "racing" charges have your licence taken roadside and your vehicle is impounded for 7 days, your licence is suspended an automatice 30 days and judge then suspends longer if wanted when you go to court and you get a crap ton of points. But you need two to race.....so see if you can talk to the J/P and see if you can knock it down or Just have it droped.

But if not...i'd say i'd have to agree with a23dranger....you are probably gonna lose your licence for a while.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:38 am
by MyNeonSaysHi
occasional demons wrote:Um, was the car you passed pulled over and also charged? It takes two willing parties to "Race"
Exactly. Not sure if there is any part of the story that is missing. I would find out more about that charge and report back.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:01 am
by occasional demons
Usually if they are going to charge you with racing, all parties are charged. If your story is 100% accurate, you may want to get a lawyer, and contest the charges. You may not get off scott free, but they may be reduced to improper passing, and speeding.

What you pay a lawyer, will more than offset the fines, and future insurance rates.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:02 am
by C1DoG
Also sounds like you were part of the cops monthly quota!

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:09 pm
by cdewalt1985
he also stated to me that he heard me coming, which tells me I was stopped because of how loud my car is. I believe it carries 6 months suspension in pa and not eligable for bread and butter license, I cant afford this as I have a 2 months old baby and am only person in house with license.

Also it should only be passing on a yellow because I wasnt even speeding.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:23 pm
by OB
C1DoG wrote:IMO... sounds like the most you should have been charged with was speeding and passing in a no passing zone.
That's what I would think too...

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:43 pm
by r/tguy02
chad i'd at least fight it and see if it can be reduced, from what you told me you dont have any prior issues with them taking your license so i would think a judge would be leanient towards you.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:18 pm
by Haganracing
"Racing" would about cover all the things "not" on the ticket..

Go to court and tell your side of the story. Good luck

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:24 pm
by cdewalt1985
I am definatley going to fight it guys, I have a 2 month old baby and am the only one in house with a license so I cant afford to loose them, I would be happy with a reckless as I could at least then get bread and butter license.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:32 pm
by heyybaker
Sorry to hear that :(. I'm guilty of passing other cars over a solid yellow if I can see very far ahead and, if they're simply going really slow. If not, I wait for the dotted. I asked my friend in PA about their laws and yeah, it seems for racing the other party should have been pulled over for the ticket to be legitly racing.. but both her and I have a clean record, so can't say 100%. I will say, that you all have some irresponsible cops in PA. I did get a nice little ticket up there for an accident in my Sunfire, because it was assumed to be my fault, and honestly it was, but the genius cop pardoned the other driver.. so, when I took it to court, there was no witness and no other driver.. guess who was found not guilty? So, maybe you'll get lucky.. and it was the same cop ;). It was close to the Carlisle area..

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:59 pm
by J-Villa
§ 3367. Racing on highways.
(a) Definitions.--As used in this section the following
words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this
subsection:
"Drag race." The operation of two or more vehicles from a
point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive
attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or
more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point
to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative
speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles
within a certain distance or time limit.
"Race." The use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to
outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to
arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or
vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of
drivers over long distance driving routes.
(b) General rule.--No person shall drive a vehicle on a
highway in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or
acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of
speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed
record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any
such race, competition, contest, test or exhibition.
(c) Permits for special activities.--The department or local
authorities within their jurisdiction may issue permits for
special activities which would otherwise be prohibited by this
section.
(d) Penalty.--Any person violating this section is guilty of
a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to
pay a fine of $200.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:23 am
by cdewalt1985
J-Villa wrote:§ 3367. Racing on highways.
(a) Definitions.--As used in this section the following
words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this
subsection:
"Drag race." The operation of two or more vehicles from a
point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive
attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or
more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point
to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative
speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles
within a certain distance or time limit.
"Race." The use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to
outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to
arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or
vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of
drivers over long distance driving routes.
(b) General rule.--No person shall drive a vehicle on a
highway in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or
acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of
speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed
record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any
such race, competition, contest, test or exhibition.
(c) Permits for special activities.--The department or local
authorities within their jurisdiction may issue permits for
special activities which would otherwise be prohibited by this
section.
(d) Penalty.--Any person violating this section is guilty of
a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to
pay a fine of $200.
yes that is what I was charged with but you also have to look at the codes that go along with this charge which includes 6 months suspension. as well as not eligable for bread and butter license

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:01 pm
by Adam G
my brother passed on a normal road to the right over a solid white line...under the speed limit around a car making a left.....he got like 4 points and 30 lose of license

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:40 am
by RawkBunny
C1DoG wrote:Also sounds like you were part of the cops monthly quota!
That's a myth.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:43 am
by Haganracing
RawkBunny wrote:
C1DoG wrote:Also sounds like you were part of the cops monthly quota!
That's a myth.
Not in Frederick county lol

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 am
by RobsProjectSOHC
RawkBunny wrote:
C1DoG wrote:Also sounds like you were part of the cops monthly quota!
That's a myth.
Whats really a myth is people calling it a myth. A cop told me they needed to meet to quota when I got my ticket. On top of that, cops that are friends have told me. Just all depends on the town / state.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:34 am
by sidepipe87
every time I see this thread "Got Popped Racing" show up, I think that's the name of some car club you're in. lulz

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 am
by wickedgood4684
Adam G wrote:my brother passed on a normal road to the right over a solid white line...under the speed limit around a car making a left.....he got like 4 points and 30 lose of license
Really? I pass on the right if a car is turning left ALL the time. Its legal in Maine. That is the dumbest thing ive heard in a long time. Passing on the right with a car turning left keeps traffic moving

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:43 pm
by jckevns
wickedgood4684 wrote:
Adam G wrote:my brother passed on a normal road to the right over a solid white line...under the speed limit around a car making a left.....he got like 4 points and 30 lose of license
Really? I pass on the right if a car is turning left ALL the time. Its legal in Maine. That is the dumbest thing ive heard in a long time. Passing on the right with a car turning left keeps traffic moving
my buddy got pulled over for doing this back in highschool go let off with a warning. if its a no passing zone it doesn't matter if someone infront of you is driving slow or turning