Been thinking. Need advice. edit to first post

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Kelevra
2GN Member

Been thinking. Need advice. edit to first post

Post by Kelevra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:29 am

I've been confirmed for perm employment at The Home Depot!! (WOOHOO! I was kept after being hired as a seasonal employee!)

I have a WTT trade thread in the cars FS section and got no bites on my dads g6 as of yet, I know, it's only been up for 12 hours, but still. I shopped around some dealers online and found this!

:rockon:

EDIT: So, after considering what has been said in the thread and talking to someone in a little more depth about the NSRT4 and it's cost and after driving the 1.4L MA turbo Dart.. I can't make up my mind. I'm losing sleep over it.

Here's the situation, in short: My dad is 78 and he just doesn't want his larger Pontiac g6 anymore and I really don't want it either. though it's a nice car, it's not for me. As you all know, I was looking at the OB NRST4, 78,xxx MI, clear carfax and seemingly unmolested. Problem is, dealer wants 11.5k for it and is unwilling to negotiate and won't budge, they've turned away people offering any less then what their asking and they REFUSE to work with me on price of any kind. My dad has a confirmed appraised value for his G6 for 6.5k leaving me to get into a loan on the SRT for 5.5k after my dad pays off the G6 with the 500 off the 6.5k appraised value.

After driving a fully loaded dodge dart for $24k I loved it, problem is, it was fully loaded and I have no need for all the perks it comes with. I can get one 'custom made' and delivered.. but I will still be getting a loan for ~14k by the time the trade in is figured and I get the things I want/need.

Now... is getting a NEW dodge dart with no worries being the first owner worth 10k more in debt or should I stick with the NSRT (taking into consideration things check out and the car is as clean as I hope) being a used car, 78,xxx miles and possible headaches from it possibly being beat to hell..

I want to get something I want. I want them both.. but I want to avoid possible headaches and money sinkholes in maintenance/breakdowns (which a warranty from dodge for the dart would alleviate as well as being the FIRST owner of a car I know it's been taken care of.)

Please, offer some constructive and useful advice and just don't be a dick. I know the NSRT will likely be expensive and likely I'll be inheriting a major headache being a second owner of a car made to be beat on. Do I pay extra for a NEW car and less possible headaches and something that won't devalue as fast as the NSRT? I need advice here!
Last edited by Kelevra on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 am

Worst teaser picture evaaaaaaaaaar

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 am

Nice Mustang.

:rofl:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Canada
Junior Admin

Post by Canada » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 am

At least your car would match your workplace?

Kelevra
2GN Member

Post by Kelevra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 am

Canada wrote:At least your car would match your workplace?
:laughing3:

smiley
2GN Member

Post by smiley » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Fuck the Home Depot man, Im working there to, place sucks

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:24 pm

at least its a job, better than living off unemployment
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

dtjackten
2GN Member

Post by dtjackten » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm

r/tguy02 wrote:at least its a job, better than living off unemployment
:withstupid:

and gramps. :rofl:
304whp and 285 ft lbs.... 15psi.
*on the way to 400whp*
dave

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 pm

You may want to build up a bit of a money cushion first before buying a SRT-4. If work is that hard to come by where you are, the last thing you want is a car payment (or higher car payment) and no money coming in to pay for it.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Danteneon wrote:You may want to build up a bit of a money cushion first before buying a SRT-4. If work is that hard to come by where you are, the last thing you want is a car payment (or higher car payment) and no money coming in to pay for it.

Don't forget maintenance, insurance, gas, etc; all much higher than a base model neon.

Kelevra
2GN Member

Post by Kelevra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:02 pm

JeffM wrote:
Danteneon wrote:You may want to build up a bit of a money cushion first before buying a SRT-4. If work is that hard to come by where you are, the last thing you want is a car payment (or higher car payment) and no money coming in to pay for it.

Don't forget maintenance, insurance, gas, etc; all much higher than a base model neon.
I've already taken it all into consideration

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Parts and labor too! Bumpers, side skirts, anything engine related, transmission related, all far more expensive, and unless you can do all the work yourself a shop will bend you over.

Kelevra
2GN Member

Post by Kelevra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 pm

INVUJerry wrote:Parts and labor too! Bumpers, side skirts, anything engine related, transmission related, all far more expensive, and unless you can do all the work yourself a shop will bend you over.
I understand this and I appreciate your guy's concern. I've thought it out and thought it through I know the car is more expensive in every aspect then a regular neon. I've been made a perm employee at the home depot, so, unless I F up really bad I think I'm good. This my chance to get into a car I really want and I'm taking it. I'm financing 5500 after what I can get in trade-in on my dads car, he's taking my neon, and I think this is better then getting into a newer, more expensive car. I wasn't getting into a fully loaded dodge dart 1.4 MA turbo for 20k :lol: though I was tempted. the car is REALLY a nice drive. I've weighed my options thoroughly. I have yet to drive this car, nor see it in person and just because I want it doesn't mean I will dive head first into it if I find anything wrong.

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:07 pm

You'll regret it... I'm serious.

You were having troubles with a $20 computer chair.

NSRT-4 = more gas, more insurance, more maintenance, etc..

Living to work so you can pay car note only is shitty.
-John

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:09 pm

LowNSlow wrote:You'll regret it... I'm serious.

You were having troubles with a $20 computer chair.

NSRT-4 = more gas, more insurance, more maintenance, etc..

Living to work so you can pay car note only is shitty.
I got tired of the car payment on my SRT and it was only $155.

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:33 pm

I never made enough at Home Depot for a car payment! Kudos to you for being able to make it work.

What dept. are you working in? When I went full time after the seasonal bit I worked in flooring.
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Lol this guy.
el. oh. el.

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Kelevra
2GN Member

Post by Kelevra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm

ejclide wrote:I never made enough at Home Depot for a car payment! Kudos to you for being able to make it work.

What dept. are you working in? When I went full time after the seasonal bit I worked in flooring.
cashier.

Ok, since you guys going off on this subject. what do you think I do as an alternative? another regular neon or r/t? A new dart? Either way I'm getting into a car payment. It's not like I have much of a choice besides saying to my dad to suck it up and keep his car.

I am open to suggestions here. Now, I don't want to be stuck with a car I don't want. that being said... I have driven an SRT4 and I loved it. Now, if you think maintenance, fuel and just plain COST is enough to make me hate a car.. what should I go with? Honestly. I haven't bought the SRT, but I've been approved for the loan etc etc... what should I do?

v95
2GN Member

Post by v95 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 pm

where is it located at
I Hate Your Neon!!!

you can not imagine immensity of the fuck that I do not give about your comment.

Kelevra
2GN Member

Post by Kelevra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50 pm

v95 wrote:where is it located at
Flemington NJ

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:13 pm

i worked at the depot for 4 years, pissed alot of people off and never once got fired, and I left on good terms. Just dont get sucked into doing any of their charity donations (IE:homer fund) and dont do any insurance and your paychecks will be good.

I say go for it!
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:56 am

Kelevra wrote:what do you think I do as an alternative? another regular neon or r/t? A new dart? Either way I'm getting into a car payment. It's not like I have much of a choice besides saying to my dad to suck it up and keep his car.
Do you have a car payment on the car you have now? If not, why get one? If your Dad wants to get rid of his car, let him. You keep yours and he can either keep his or he can find a replacement. There's no reason to put yourself in debt of someone else.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:58 am

I had an '04 SXT that I had paid cash for but I bought the car for transportation, not because I wanted it (had to get a new car after my '02 SY SXT got totalled). I really wanted an SRT-4. I worked a second job for over four years to make car payments. Yes, it is more expensive to maintain than a non-SRT Neon (especially since I am not mechanically inclined and have to pay someone to work on my car) but it is what I wanted and I am so glad that I got it. Am I giving advice? No, but take what you want from my experience.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

slowpeon
2GN Member

Post by slowpeon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:46 am

If you just need a car for transportation why not just keep the neon you currently have? I was debating about getting a second SRT to daily drive but opted to get a new dart for everyday use.

rOniN
2GN Member

Post by rOniN » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Living just to drive a car isn't fun. It's all the other things you get to do when you get there that makes a car worth it. If you can afford it, go for it. If you can't - don't.

Just remember all the other stuff that comes along with owning a car, which I think you have, and then think of the other stuff you will give up. A car should never take over 50% of your paycheck.
-Chad
2009 Dodge Viper VOI #66
2010 Dodge Ram Power Wagon - Sold
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - Sold
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 -Sold
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 - Sold
1998 Dodge Neon R/T

Kelevra
2GN Member

Post by Kelevra » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Danteneon wrote:
Kelevra wrote:what do you think I do as an alternative? another regular neon or r/t? A new dart? Either way I'm getting into a car payment. It's not like I have much of a choice besides saying to my dad to suck it up and keep his car.
Do you have a car payment on the car you have now? If not, why get one? If your Dad wants to get rid of his car, let him. You keep yours and he can either keep his or he can find a replacement. There's no reason to put yourself in debt of someone else.
I do not currently have a car payment but the neon is now 9 years old and my dad is 77 almost 78 and doesn't want nor need to take on a car payment. instead, he wants to trade in his car for me to get a new car as I will be needing one eventually and as little as he drives, he can get more out of what's left on the neon with what ever time he has left (hoping it's a while till it's his time) that said, he doesn't want to get into another loan as old as he is.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Honestly, I say you drive your current neon into the ground and save, save, save. Having been in a similar situation when I owned the Audi (except I got laid off after buying the car), it's always MUCH easier when you have a very nice cushion of cash under you, just in case.

And honestly, I'd skip on a dealer that still wants 11.5k for a car you can typically find around 8k.

Also, can we move this?

mopar2
2GN Member

Post by mopar2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Kelevra wrote:
Danteneon wrote:
I do not currently have a car payment but the neon is now 9 years old and my dad is 77 almost 78 and doesn't want nor need to take on a car payment. instead, he wants to trade in his car for me to get a new car as I will be needing one eventually and as little as he drives, he can get more out of what's left on the neon with what ever time he has left (hoping it's a while till it's his time) that said, he doesn't want to get into another loan as old as he is.
My question is are you worried because the Neon is 9yrs old? There are 1st gens all over the place still going strong. My 2001 is still ticking good and strong. I worked at Auto Zone for 2 years and barely afforded my 2wd Dakota V6 payments and those were chump change. I say save up and buy a NSRT4 when you can drop some coin on them.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT4 (New beast)
Owner of B&P Repair https://www.facebook.com/pages/B-and-P- ... 9500229160

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:54 pm

JeffM wrote:Also, can we move this?
Thank you sir...I totally missed that :beatstick:

Return to “Off-Topic”