I need help...

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
2003silverneonsxt
2GN Member

I need help...

Post by 2003silverneonsxt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:53 pm

i know i know i dont own a neon anymore..but i need some opinions on this problem ...

ok so i was driving home from work tonight and the car just shut off..loss power, i coasted to the side of the road, put my hazards on and got out of the car.. i saw the check engine light was on, brake light was on (even though emergency brake was off) the oil light was on, and the battery light was on..

my lights and 4 ways and everything still worked fine, so i dont think its the battery, i have a scangauge2 plugged in and i try scan for codes, but nothing came up. i check the oil level and it was like a little over 3/4 full so i wasnt low on oil or nething like that..

i did notice a little pool of oil under the car when i tried to push it off the road more. i got under the car with a flash light, could not find a hole or nething in the side of the engine, so i dont think it blew out,

it was running at normal temp. and everything. it wasnt overheating or getting too hot.

my guess is either oil pump or oil sender, would these make the car just shut off?

the car will not start by the way..it trys to start but wont..

its a 2004 hyundai santa fe 4 cylinder automatic..

let me also add..the car was making no werid noises, clanking noises, chattering anything like that..hell i just drove it over 400 miles this past weekend with no problem...

any opinions?
hmmmmm

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:21 am

Not to be rude...but your best bet would definitely be something like this....

Answers are here
-John

2003silverneonsxt
2GN Member

Post by 2003silverneonsxt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:23 am

sorry a car is a car.. figured someone would atleast have a educated guess what to look at..
hmmmmm

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:24 am

Youre roght Justin, a car is a car, but this is a DODGE NEON forum. You will get a better reply on a HYUNDAI forum. It's like asking why won't my SLR take a clear picture on an iPhone forum. Sure they're both camera capable but shit.

Those motors are 60k interval on the timing belts. Bet the tentioner gave you good warning then broke. If it did the car needs a head.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/195-sm-20 ... chain.html

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 am

:withstupid:

I would have to go to that forum and search, just to give you some possibilities.

It's not that we don't want to help, but unless you work in a shop that handles multiple makes and trains you on everything, there aren't going to be many folks that could give you a solid answer.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

2003silverneonsxt
2GN Member

Post by 2003silverneonsxt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:46 am

so far i had suggest : battery dead, oil pump/sender/sensor, crank shaft position sensor, cam shaft sensor or EGR valve... (not from the hyd. forums)

im going to go check these things today..

thanks for some help! who knows, maybe someone on here wil know more..

later
hmmmmm

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:37 am

2003silverneonsxt wrote:so far i had suggest : battery dead, oil pump/sender/sensor, crank shaft position sensor, cam shaft sensor or EGR valve... (not from the hyd. forums)

later

Are you THAT lazy to not register on a forum (which takes less than one minute) and do 5 minutes of research so you can have a solid answer? I guess you have enough money to randomly throw parts at the car in hopes of it getting fixed.

I'm sure you're not the first nor last to have this problem. Register on that forum, do a search or even make a post... I bet you will have a SOLID answer real fast.

Not only will it help you with your current problem...but I'm sure it'll help you in the future if you have any more issues.
-John

2003silverneonsxt
2GN Member

Post by 2003silverneonsxt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:48 am

i registered posted the same thing as i posted here, and have not had one reply with 45 views, did some research..which is why i am trying the Crank shaft position sensor,

battery, Crank pos. sensor and cam shaft sensor can all be tested with a multimeter (which i am doing) and the oil sender/sensor thing is only 5$, so thats not a big $$ spender..
hmmmmm

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 pm

I must have misunderstood the large text then...

GL to you
2003silverneonsxt wrote:so far i had suggest : battery dead, oil pump/sender/sensor, crank shaft position sensor, cam shaft sensor or EGR valve... (not from the hyd. forums)

later
-John

2003silverneonsxt
2GN Member

Post by 2003silverneonsxt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 pm

yes those were suggestions i got from other ppl.. like my friend who is ase cert. etc..sorry for the misunderstanding!
hmmmmm

jckevns
2GN Member

Post by jckevns » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 pm

you said it wont start, does it crank but wont turn over or does it just sit there

Phone Booth Member: 006

smallblockfreak
2GN Member

Post by smallblockfreak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Does the car sound right when cranking? If not then prolly need timing belt or timing chain. Pull the front timing cover to see if belt snapped or maybe the tensioner let go. It's not your battery I can guarantee that otherwise it would never crank. If its not cranking but starter clicks like it wants to start then try to spin the engine by hand with a breaker bar if it's locked up pull the serptine belt and try again to rule out a component locking up and if the motor won't turn over its shot lol. What does the egr have to do with this? All it does is inject hot air into the intake. I wouldn't take cam or crank sensor out of the question. However I'm curious as to why your scanner won't connect to the car then I would be looking at the PCM but if your saying it doesn't have any codes than it prolly doesn't due to the instant engine stop so the engine the PCM can't catch it fast enough. Good luck!

2003silverneonsxt
2GN Member

Post by 2003silverneonsxt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:32 pm

it wouldnt start to crank at all..

im going to check the timing belt in the morning, hopefully it didnt break the whole way and throw the timing off..maybe ill get lucky..

yes battery was fine, ruled that out...

like i said those were suggestions from other ppl.. so the egr i wont check till last if everything else checks out..

the Crank Shaft Position sensor is under the timing cover so i have to take tha toff any wayz to check that, so ill check the belt at the same time...

thanks for the help guys..ill keep everyone posted...
hmmmmm

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:43 am

So it won't even crank? If not, it's a gigantic waste of time to check timing belt, crank sensor, EGR, etc. It'll never start if you can't get it to crank.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:05 am

And EGR won't make it die out of the blue. It would give you idle problems if it was stuck open, but that's about it.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jckevns
2GN Member

Post by jckevns » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:29 pm

if its not trying to crank check your fuses, maybe youll be lucky and just blew a fuse

Phone Booth Member: 006

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Updates?

2003silverneonsxt
2GN Member

Post by 2003silverneonsxt » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:09 pm

o sorry jerry, timing belt didnt completely break, just the edge ripped off.. timing was off a little bit..so its up at my friends shop getting checked out..

i bought the car at 45,000 miles and they told me the timing belt, water pump and ten. were all new, so since the belt broke in 30,000 miles i am having it out with the place i bought it from..

thanks for the help everyone.. i know its not a neon but i appreciate the help
hmmmmm

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Not the shop's fault the belt failed 30k miles later. This is why I hate working on cars, people blame you for anything that goes wrong with the vehicle, even several years later.

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

2003silverneonsxt
2GN Member

Post by 2003silverneonsxt » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:19 pm

ihave a warranty through the shop/used car dealer for 3 yr/ 36000 miles..on the whole car..i paid a little extra for it but like most places, they are trying to blame me..
hmmmmm

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Ok that's different. Hopefully they cover it.

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

Return to “Off-Topic”