Need some "guidance" in my life haha

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
mrsixstrings12
2GN Member

Need some "guidance" in my life haha

Post by mrsixstrings12 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 am

Well, i really dont know anyone on here but you all seem to have some good advice for your fellow neon enthusiasts. I'll make this as short as possible.

This is my 3rd semester at college and i haven't done well at all so far. Im a biology major and am really interested in the stuff but the tests just kill me in the beginning and then i become disinterested and just dont go to class. I've been thinking that college just isn't right for me and maybe going into auto body. Is there any schooling for auto body or do you just go and intern, learn how to do it, then get licensed?? My grandpa is a body guy and i've helped him with alot of things and he's taught me alot too so i feel like i have a good grasp of things. It seems like a job where you can just be taught and then do it without going to a school for 2 years

2003 Neon SE

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 am

learn a skilled trade, more job opportunities for body guys than biologists. Any technical or community college will have a basic or advanced body work class
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

Marcel
2GN Member

Post by Marcel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:50 pm

NEON PARABOLA wrote:learn a skilled trade, more job opportunities for body guys than biologists. Any technical or community college will have a basic or advanced body work class
+1

..well, at least for Europe. :P What happens here is that people who are born shortly after WWII (let's say from 1945 to 1955) are thinking about retiring or are retired. Most of those are skilled laborers or have promoted from manual labor to management. What we have left here is a enormous gap between young educated people and highly skilled seniors. So there's a golden future if you are able to work with your hands :)
"If god hates masturbation that much, he should give me a girlfriend"
http://www.sevenstepsofdenial.com
https://www.facebook.com/7StepsOfDenial
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it's too expensive to keep driving" Club #000083

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Check with the body shops in your area, see if they offer anything like an internship/part time work. Otherwise chheck your local tech school. I'd be willing to bet its a lot cheaper tuition-wise and is ikely only a 2-yr degree.

Find something you enjoy doing. I was in the same boat 7-8 years ago (holy shit that was a long time ago!). I went to UW-Madison for chemical engineering. I rocked the classes I took freshman year (mostly 2nd year classes), but when I got into the actual chemical engineering classes, I was the same way. Actually I aced the first midterm in one of the classes but stopped going cuz I had no interest, ended up with a D.

Took a year off, found out that working 2-3 part-time jobs sucked balls, went to school for auto tech (even though my mom said I wouldn't make much money) and don't regret it one bit (I actually work on forklifts and get paid very well, plus a company vehicle). Make sure to do well and stick out from the other guys and you shouldn't have a problem landing a good job.

Too few people have the skills to do skilled labor and too many think they can go to college, get a degree, and there will be 5 cushy 9-5 jobs waiting for them. My friends that are engineers work long hours on salary and don't make much more than me, but stilll owe $30k+ for college. I'd be debt free (for school) except for the 2 years at UW. One semester there was more than 2 years at MATC, and that got reimbursed by Crown anyways.
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET!!!

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:50 pm

little story, wife went to a private college for a 4 year bachelors degree in english. Paid about $90,000 in tuition all together.

I went for a two year degree in precision machine tool&die and owe about $22,000

long story short, she is working a job she likes but for about 12.00/hour, and I am working a job I love making 14.00/hour.
-Sean

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:16 pm

NEON PARABOLA wrote:long story short, she is working a job she likes but for about 12.00/hour, and I am working a job I love making 14.00/hour.
I'm curious about the cost of living in your area, I'm guessing it's not too high?

I COMPLETELY understand what you're going through OP. I'm actually finding myself in the exact same situation. I'm in 3rd year, stopped going to classes, no motivation for my program (Accounting), and looking heavily into doing something else.

I'm looking at taking some courses part time while working full time or almost full time hours.

As to your auto body interest, I know around me there are a few 1 year auto body and collision programs. I don't know whats needed to get into it or anything though :rofl:

My suggestion is you go speak to people; career counselor, program advisor, etc. I did that the past few weeks and it really helped me figure shit out

goodluck!
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 pm

My question to you is what you want to do with your degree. I am not sure of biology jobs and what they entail but I can't imagine there is much you can do with that.

For me, I am a mechanical engineer. I went to school for 4 years, got my degree and went straight to work for 2 years. I am back at school getting my masters. The perk this time around is I am not paying for it and actually getting paid by my school to go. I find myself asking why I wanted to go back but I always think it is for the best in the long run. Short story even shorter, we all have problems. Life is all about how we deal with them. Make your best educated guess and move forward. I am trying to approach life with no regrets (key word trying).

Nonetheless, I cannot imagine quitting, or not showing up for class, especially since you are probably paying through the ass for it. But I guess if it isn't something you like then why continue to pay and just cut your losses. I also know this time of the semester sucks the most. It is when they throw all the work at you and expect to get it done.

But as said before, skill trades will always be needed. You could always try it for a couple of years and decide if its for you or not. You have like 45 working years to figure it out haha.

Good Luck!

BigMac
2GN Member

Post by BigMac » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Looking into a skilled trade is a very good alternative to college if you're not the college-type (which not all of us are, myself included). As others have said, research your area community colleges and tech schools -- personally I would avoid the for-profit outfits except as a last resort. Also drop by a few body shops and see if you can talk to the managers about possible entry-level openings, pay, etc.

Good luck!
Mac's 04 SRT-4

mrsixstrings12
2GN Member

Post by mrsixstrings12 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:24 pm

ducktapetg wrote:My question to you is what you want to do with your degree. I am not sure of biology jobs and what they entail but I can't imagine there is much you can do with that.
Well the plan was to go into med school. I think i set my goal a little too high haha

2003 Neon SE

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm

mrsixstrings12 wrote:
ducktapetg wrote:My question to you is what you want to do with your degree. I am not sure of biology jobs and what they entail but I can't imagine there is much you can do with that.
Well the plan was to go into med school. I think i set my goal a little too high haha
You can NEVER set your goals to high!

kornholio788
2GN Member

Post by kornholio788 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 am

Stock market.

Like a boss!

In reality I wen to school for auto body. Good trade to learn. Learned alot. But in the end I didn't want to put my body into that for that little money. I work in a metal shop now making half way decent money. Plan is to keep at it to be able to drive flat bed truck and make good money. Far easy to get to in a profession and much less schooling/money spend than my brother that spend 4 years and countless thousands to just get into a bank job making 45k a year. Flat bed drivers make starting 50-65. Decent paying box makes 20 and up and hour.

IDK. Save your money. Put it into a good investor. Make bank. We make more in our(wife/mine) stocks than anything. We don't touch it. Can you say compounding :)
2000 Dodge Neon................FULLY BAGGED AND LAID OUT!!...................All Show
theTeejmiester wrote:haha it needs a six foot wing and color change paint and neons to be your style :shock: ...

rOniN
2GN Member

Post by rOniN » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:03 am

By and large the college educated person will make more money than someone with "less" education provided they choose a path that leads to a skilled position after college - ex. engineers. Us history/biology/English majors need a doctorate to make any real money.

Find something you love to do and go for it.

I love to fly so I did what I had to do to make that happen. The Marine Corps requires a 4 year degree to be a pilot so I went to college. I took the easy route and chose a major that I was interested in to make going to school ten times easier.

Seems you might have a problem with your study habits. I know plenty of people who didn't think that college was right for them and it was because they never learned how to study since high school is such a joke. Maybe group study or writing everything down to review later would help. When I was in college I had to write down everything the professor said or had on the power point for it to sink in.
-Chad
2009 Dodge Viper VOI #66
2010 Dodge Ram Power Wagon - Sold
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - Sold
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 -Sold
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 - Sold
1998 Dodge Neon R/T

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 am

I went to college but never finished my freshman year. The plan was to teach grade school but, other than Sociology, I didn't find the classes very interesting and just couldn't get it together for the exams. Got severely depressed, stopped going to classes and eventually withdrew from school (blew a scholarship in the process :tardbang: ). Tried it a second time a year later with my own money (factory work) but just couldn't cut it. Bummed around for a few years doing odd jobs and then got an associates degree from a vocational college in a field that I had no interest in (computer programming). Worked in IT for 14 years and hated every minute of it. Went back to the vocational school and got a professional driver's certificate. I miss the incredible salary that I had working in data processing but have no regrets and am grateful to be where I am at. My two cents- don't know if this will help you or not.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:44 am

rOniN wrote:By and large the college educated person will make more money than someone with "less" education provided they choose a path that leads to a skilled position after college - ex. engineers. Us history/biology/English majors need a doctorate to make any real money.
That's the truth. But money isn't everything, you have to somewhat enjoy your job or you'll be miserable even when not at work. For skilled trades like body work, the money starts off low but if you have skills, you'll get paid. They have to weed out the people that suck. If the body shop you work at doesn't compensate you properly for your skills, another one will. Its hard to find people with skills to do stuff.

Its like that for auto techs too, start out low but I know people at farm and fleet making $19-20/hr. My buddy and I have been working on lift trucks for 4.5 (me) and 4 years right out of tech school and make 50% more than the $15 we started at. They can't afford to have us leave since they have an extremely hard time finding anybody worth a damn. A lot of the unemployed people just don't have the skills to do it.

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

TNK
2GN Veteran

Post by TNK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:02 am

NEON PARABOLA wrote:little story, wife went to a private college for a 4 year bachelors degree in english. Paid about $90,000 in tuition all together.

I went for a two year degree in precision machine tool&die and owe about $22,000

long story short, she is working a job she likes but for about 12.00/hour, and I am working a job I love making 14.00/hour.
This is why I'm glad I didn't go to college. I have no school loans to pay for, and currently make about $55,000 a year.

My girl has a horticulture degree and just landed a management position at a very well known wholesale nursery, and makes $40,000 a year salary. She will be renegotiating her salary in January.

College just never made sense toe personally, I couldn't justify the debt and risk of wasting the money, ending up in a job that has nothing to do with my degree. But, that's just me.

Modify Your Car - Modify Your Body - Modify Your Life
TheRandom1 wrote:My true opinion here is that the only time rubber should be stretched is when it's going over a penis.

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 am

It's just a big scheme to make money off of kids who've been promised since day 1 of grade school, that a college degree will make you filthy rich and no college means you will be poor forever.
-Sean

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am

NEON PARABOLA wrote:It's just a big scheme to make money off of kids who've been promised since day 1 of grade school, that a college degree will make you filthy rich and no college means you will be poor forever.
Since I kind of have an in at my school, I heard the same thing. Originally, when I went to school, they would make the first 2 years the hardest to weed out people. Now, they are keeping these classes easy to keep the kids in class so the school can get funding. Scary isn't it.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Lol
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:07 pm

College or technical school ... you need to learn something you love doing ...
If money is the only motivator, don't bother going to either one :laughing3:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 pm

$90k for four years? I'll tell you the problem there, it was a private school. My wife got her bachelors and master for about a third that at a state university.

My personal experience...

I got an AAS in Mechanical Engineering Technology with the intention of transferring into a four year school and majoring in mechanical engineering. 4 years in, I had 4 years left because of transferring. I was sick of school, sick of the bullshit and ready to move on with life. I got a job that looked interesting and here I am almost 5 years later and solidly in the company making good money. I know I got lucky. Not everyone is able to drop school and pickup a good job. School is definitely a benefit.

But, if it's not working you need to change paths. You either need to start low, work hard and climb the ladder or at the very least get some kind of skill training to start not as low, work hard and climb the ladder.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

SteelBlue
2GN Member

Post by SteelBlue » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Everyone here seems to be hitting it on the mark but I'd also caution you to make sure that the college/trade school you pick has a good, preferrably regional, accreditation. That way, if 10 years down the road you decide to change your career a new school has a greater likelihood of accepting your prior credits and you aren't starting at square one taking your basic freshman writing all over again.

I work at a 4 year university and have seen far too many people come through who've gone to non- or weakly accredited schools and be in that same boat. Heck, my husband spent $30k at WyoTech and won't be able to use any of his work there toward a BS or even AAS/AS degree at any of the good schools in our state.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
Crystal
02 Neon - SteelBlue, 08 Caliber SRT - Inferno Red, 08 Caliber SRT - Brilliant Black

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:25 am

And Crystal just pops in.

How's it going?
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:52 am

Psh, look who's talking about popping in. :lol:
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

SteelBlue
2GN Member

Post by SteelBlue » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 am

racer12306 wrote:And Crystal just pops in.

How's it going?
Been too busy to even lurk regularly but his post caught my eye. Plus, I hardly ever have anything to say that hasn't already been said several times so why bother adding my .02? :)

Its going good, my daughter is 3 already and I've got a son coming anytime in the next 5 weeks. Haven't done anything fun to the Neon in a year and now with two kids I doubt I'll make many more changes in the near future.

How's life treating you?
Crystal
02 Neon - SteelBlue, 08 Caliber SRT - Inferno Red, 08 Caliber SRT - Brilliant Black

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Pretty well, thanks. My daughters are 15 months tomorrow.

Congrats on the new little one.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:27 am

SteelBlue wrote:Heck, my husband spent $30k at WyoTech and won't be able to use any of his work there toward a BS or even AAS/AS degree at any of the good schools in our state.
That's cuz people who go to Wyotech are suckers. $30k? What do they have that any respectable technical college don't have? Besides commercials...

We hired a guy from there, worthless. Thought he was tough shit cuz he went to Wyotech but we had to show him how to use a meter. Not saying Wyotech is bad, dumbasses come out of every school, but its overrated and overpriced. We finally shit-canned him last Friday after 2.5 years of fucking off.

My 2-yr associates degree at local tech school was $6000. We hired 3 guys from my graduating class and one from the year after. All 4 still working here after 4ish years. Its what you put into it that you get out, not the money you spend or the badass commercials.

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

SteelBlue
2GN Member

Post by SteelBlue » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm

chipdogg wrote:
SteelBlue wrote:Heck, my husband spent $30k at WyoTech and won't be able to use any of his work there toward a BS or even AAS/AS degree at any of the good schools in our state.
That's cuz people who go to Wyotech are suckers. $30k? What do they have that any respectable technical college don't have? Besides commercials...
We hired a guy from there, worthless. ...

My 2-yr associates degree at local tech school was $6000. We hired 3 guys from my graduating class and one from the year after. All 4 still working here after 4ish years. Its what you put into it that you get out, not the money you spend or the badass commercials.
Well, I definitely agree with the bolded area. To say that anyone who attends X school is a sucker is a bit closed-minded, however. No matter what school you attend there are the students who apply themselves and get the most out of each class time and graduate with the knowledge and skills they need, and then there are the ones who don't take it seriously, learn nothing, and give the entire group a bad reputation when they get out into the job market.
Crystal

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:16 pm

SteelBlue wrote: No matter what school you attend there are the students who apply themselves and get the most out of each class time and graduate with the knowledge and skills they need, and then there are the ones who don't take it seriously, learn nothing, and give the entire group a bad reputation when they get out into the job market.
:thumbup: I know this has been true of state universities (like my alma mater) for at least 40 years. :rofl:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

chipdogg
2GN Member

Post by chipdogg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 pm

SteelBlue wrote:
chipdogg wrote:
We hired a guy from there, worthless. ...

Well, I definitely agree with the bolded area. To say that anyone who attends X school is a sucker is a bit closed-minded, however. No matter what school you attend there are the students who apply themselves and get the most out of each class time and graduate with the knowledge and skills they need, and then there are the ones who don't take it seriously, learn nothing, and give the entire group a bad reputation when they get out into the job market.
My point was, what can you learn at schools like UTI/Wyotech that you can't learn elsewhere? Any halfway decent tech school can teach you the same stuff for much less. All the teachers at our school had. Extansive experience in the industry. The guy that taught transmissions worked in a trans shop for 30 years. Same went for the other classes.

I didn't mean for it to be offensive, but the only reason people choose Wyotech over a local tech school woulld be due to lack of research and watching the commercials.

Same kind of thinking goes into choosing your favorite brand of milk, it usually comes from the same vat. Just different stickers. The generic stuff is no different than the more expensive stuff.

April 6th, 2013

viewtopic.php?t=64866

Return to “Off-Topic”