Is anybody else's neon falling apart lately

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
yyourb0yy
n00b

Is anybody else's neon falling apart lately

Post by yyourb0yy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:40 am

Mine was doing so well for awhile, but I guess it just doesn't like me this winter. My passenger side cv axle broke while I was driving (my fault, it was making noise for a while) and I had to have my car towed home. I replaced it. Then about two weeks later the left one started making grinding noises and spewing grease everywhere. So I had to change that one. Then, my rack and pinion started leaking. I went to advance auto and got some of that Lucas power steering stop leak and added it. My power steering pump started making noise about a day later. It seized up while I was driving and snapped the pulley off. Now I'm driving without power steering. On top of that, my clutch is worn out and the rear main seal is leaking onto it. My upper strut mounts need to be changed out and my tires are completely bald. This car is stealing all of my money lately.
Last edited by yyourb0yy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2001 R/T

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 pm

So. . . ignored maintenance and required maintenance are killing you? Sounds like you shouldn't be in the car busines. . .
el. oh. el.

yyourb0yy
n00b

Post by yyourb0yy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Well... yeah. My car is my dd, and I need it to get to work. I'm also a full time student. I don't make much money, so things get put off. I have to pay rent, a cell phone bill, insurance, and a cable bill. The clutch and tires and cv joint should've been taken care of, but they weren't. Now I'm trying to put in extra hours to make enough money to fix the problems with my car. I replaced both the cv axles, now my tires are next on the list. Then, my clutch and so forth. I can do without power steering for a while, so that's last on my list. I can maintain my car, it's just hard when everything happens at once. Also, you spelled "business" wrong.
2001 R/T

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 pm

any car will fall apart if you don't maintain it... this thread is worthless.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

yyourb0yy
n00b

Post by yyourb0yy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:36 pm

I do maintain my car. I do regular oil changes (every 5,000 miles with full synthetic), I replaced my leaking radiator, recently replaced the spark plugs, brakes and rotors, timing belt, water pump, and serpentine belt. My car runs strong, but has 180,000 miles on it. It's also 12 years old. That is why things are breaking. I'll have it all fixed by the Spring. I made this thread out of curiosity to see if anyone else was having problems with their neon. If you're gonna hate, then don't reply.
Last edited by yyourb0yy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 R/T

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:51 pm

yyourb0yy wrote: Now I'm trying to put in extra hours to make enough money to fix the problems with my car.
This is why you should take a certain percentage of EVERY pay (base it off of either the miles you drive or the amount of gas you put it) and put it in a separate savings account. Let it accumulate, and don't touch it, not even for regular car maintenance! Then when stuff like this happens, you're prepared or at least you won't be as fucked.
yyourb0yy wrote:My car runs strong, but has 180,000 miles on it. It's also 12 years old. That is why things are breaking.
This, this right here, backs up my comment.
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 pm

ThatKevin wrote:
yyourb0yy wrote: Now I'm trying to put in extra hours to make enough money to fix the problems with my car.
This is why you should take a certain percentage of EVERY pay (base it off of either the miles you drive or the amount of gas you put it) and put it in a separate savings account. Let it accumulate, and don't touch it, not even for regular car maintenance! Then when stuff like this happens, you're prepared or at least you won't be as fucked.

^This. :thumbup:
yyourb0yy wrote:My car runs strong, but has 180,000 miles on it. It's also 12 years old. That is why things are breaking.
This, this right here, backs up my comment.
You also forgot a comment on how stupid the OP is or how worthless the thread was. /sarcasm

Just spent over $1,200 on my car in the last three months. I feel the pain.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

jckevns
2GN Member

Post by jckevns » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 pm

When the cars that old with that many miles on it things start to break.
Everyones hating the op for lack of maintenance, when the cv axle breaks u replace it which im sure has happened to many people on here

A couple summers ago my jeep went through a rough patch, some was lack of maintenance by previous owner some was just my bad luck. Fixed eveything n havent had problems since.

Get everything fixed n ull be good to go

Welcome to 2gn

:rockon:

Phone Booth Member: 006

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:26 pm

:rofl:

We're simply stating that he KNEW some things had passed that needed fixing. They all failed at once / around the same time? Hard for me to sympathize with that.

Plus, 90% of us have mortgages, bills, and needs that we fork stuff over for every month. I don't make jack shit, but 12% of my paycheck gets directly deposited into savings, and every OTHER check I roll over what's left from checking to savings. I've always got enough in checking for major problems to be fixed at any time, and I contribute significantly to savings. Major car or home problem? Good thing I planned ahead.

OP - pound out those extra hours. It'll suck for a few weeks of being tired and dropping all your extra cash at once, but then it's back to regular and preventative maintenance and your extra cash is YOURS and not pre-spent.
el. oh. el.

R/Tjoe
2GN Member

Post by R/Tjoe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 pm

yep just threw a little over $700 into mine for tires, bushings(full kit), and wheel studs/lugs, and oil change. should be good for a bit (fingers crossed!!)

Progress log if interested:
viewtopic.php?t=57806&highlight=

Hudson_Neon
2GN Member

Post by Hudson_Neon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm

my car doesn't fall apart. i have a bad habit of taking it apart when it doesn't need to be apart though

jckevns
2GN Member

Post by jckevns » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:09 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote::rofl:

We're simply stating that he KNEW some things had passed that needed fixing. They all failed at once / around the same time? Hard for me to sympathize with that.

Plus, 90% of us have mortgages, bills, and needs that we fork stuff over for every month. I don't make jack shit, but 12% of my paycheck gets directly deposited into savings, and every OTHER check I roll over what's left from checking to savings. I've always got enough in checking for major problems to be fixed at any time, and I contribute significantly to savings. Major car or home problem? Good thing I planned ahead.

OP - pound out those extra hours. It'll suck for a few weeks of being tired and dropping all your extra cash at once, but then it's back to regular and preventative maintenance and your extra cash is YOURS and not pre-spent.
Agreed if u know something needs fixing get on it. :thumbup:

Phone Booth Member: 006

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:52 am

To the OP: cars are like people; as they age, they need more and more attention (and this attention costs money, unfortunately). Keep your nose to the grindstone with those extra hours and it will pay off. :thumbup:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:11 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:To the OP: cars are like people; as they age, they need more and more attention (and this attention costs money, unfortunately). Keep your nose to the grindstone with those extra hours and it will pay off. :thumbup:

Eh?
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:03 am

:laughing3:
CV joints, hip joints... :roll:

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:18 am

R/Tjoe wrote:yep just threw a little over $700 into mine for tires, bushings(full kit), and wheel studs/lugs, and oil change. should be good for a bit (fingers crossed!!)
titansxt wrote:
Just spent over $1,200 on my car in the last three months. I feel the pain.
............................................ I don't even wanna say how much I've spent in the past month :shock: fuck boooost.
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Does anybody else think that a hip joint looks like a shifter?

When you combine hip and shifter, does it make a hipster?

Fuck man I'm so tired right now.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:39 pm

:laughing3: "It hurst like hell, until you get it done."

Sleepless Posting FTW!
yyourb0yy wrote:I have to pay a cell phone bill, and a cable bill.

Cable/internet, eh, maybe you could do without the cable. As for the cell phone, You may be stuck with a contract, but when it is up, ditch it.

Get a prepaid phone. Text/talk less. I get by just fine with a TracPhone. Averages out to $7 a month. Screw paying $50 or double for a regular cell phone

My dumbass daughter and her husband pay about $2400 a year just to have their "Smart" Phones. Really? About the only smart folks here, are Apple and the providers.

And then they cry because they are broke.

Not saying that you are spending that much, but it is a prime example of how most folks priorities are these days. Sucked in to Gottohaveeveryfuckinthingonmyphone Syndrome.

/rant.
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 pm

But you're old bill.... :)
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 pm

So I've been told. :-k
Bill
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 am

I'll admit it, I'm one of those ones that spends $2400 a year (just thinking about that is scary) on cell phones.

But I'm also, not complaining about a lack of money. And I love connectivity that I get from it.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:26 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Cable/internet, eh, maybe you could do without the cable. As for the cell phone, You may be stuck with a contract, but when it is up, ditch it.

Get a prepaid phone. Text/talk less. I get by just fine with a TracPhone. Averages out to $7 a month. Screw paying $50 or double for a regular cell phone

My dumbass daughter and her husband pay about $2400 a year just to have their "Smart" Phones. Really? About the only smart folks here, are Apple and the providers.

And then they cry because they are broke.

Not saying that you are spending that much, but it is a prime example of how most folks priorities are these days. Sucked in to Gottohaveeveryfuckinthingonmyphone Syndrome.

/rant.
I'm with Bill on this. :withstupid:
I guess that makes me Old. :lol:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 pm

racer12306 wrote:I'll admit it, I'm one of those ones that spends $2400 a year (just thinking about that is scary) on cell phones.

But I'm also, not complaining about a lack of money. And I love connectivity that I get from it.
:thumbup:

I just got off the prepaid kick where I was hyping it up paying less than $50 a month for phone service. . . that had so many hoops and loopholes and tricks just to get it work "like factory" that it wasn't worth the 50% I was saving.

Hopped back on a contract, service is great, and it's my choice. It's a necessity, I'm a freakin' kid :lol:

packfan88
2GN Member

Post by packfan88 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:56 pm

i had a coworker with a 1999 since new.

He saaid after like 50k miles it began to fall apart. He has 180k and says the last 100k have been great because he basically replaced everythign in that 50-80k range. Seems like a lot of stuff goes wrong and you can either start to fix it or get rid of it.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm

As long as the maintenance is less than a new car payment each month, I'm keeping it.

Of course if you have no desire, or are mentally, or physically, unable to do most of the work yourself, then that dollar figure may be significantly closer to a new car payment.

But in most cases, it won't be a monthly amount. if it is, then yeah, either the car has to go, or you have to stop being stupid; because a new car won't fix that.
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 pm

I have no rocker panels anymore.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

Sxteve
2GN Member

Post by Sxteve » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Yeah, My Rocker panels are gone too. I am fixing them next weekend. I also have some other Minor surface rust that i will tinker with over the next month or so. SO glad spring is here! Yeah. I really wished i thought ahead and oil coated the underside of my car. Guess its never to late?
04 SXT WIP

--- Stickers make my car go faster---

viewtopic.php?t=65505

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:04 pm

fixitmattman wrote:I have no rocker panels anymore.
Wanna see pics.
So many neons so little time.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 am

INVUJerry wrote:
fixitmattman wrote:I have no rocker panels anymore.
Wanna see pics.
I'm not sure I want to see pics. :shock:

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Meh, maybe.

In the mean time, picture your rocker panel, then imagine where that rocker panel was instead there is a giant rusty pooper of a void.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

Return to “Off-Topic”