What would you replace your Neon with?

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
pancakepuppy
n00b

What would you replace your Neon with?

Post by pancakepuppy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:40 pm

If you had to replace your Neon with a vehicle that would fill the same role, what would you pick? New or used! :)
2003 SXT (5-sp, Solar Yellow, Power Sunroof, Cruise, Sport Appearance group) + cheap eBay catback
To-Do list: Heater core, clutch, make front fascia and rear bumper cover prettier
Electronics guy/occasional mechanic
Where's your LeBaron, Freddy?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: What would you replace your Neon with?

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:14 pm

The only options for new, in the same general class, would be an import brand. There aren't many domestic brand made compact cars.

The cars that would not kill you in new tech repair costs are about as slim as getting another decent neon.

Anything newer will be expensive to have diagnosed and repaired, and they like to integrate everything together, so you are stuck getting something you could probably live without repaired.

So it is a gamble between used, and little or no warranty, and paying up front for new with a warranty.

Being in debt is one of the few OCD things I have, so having to finance a car is not something I ever look forward to. The two new cars I have bought in my lifetime I put over half down on both of them. I scraped by for a year beforehand, just to keep from having to scrape by for 5 to 6 years. But if you have a family, that is nearly impossible, unless you both make decent money, and your partner is on board with it.

But in the end, I would probably just get something new, or near new.

If I were younger, and single I might still take my chances with something older than 10 years. I would only be risking my own well being if the car breaks down somewhere unfortunate.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:20 pm

It would probably be a smaller SUV, as some of them get just as good fuel mileage as a compact car, and still have decent power.

I would be giving up some handling, but then my 2001 neon out of the box, was not exactly stellar. I think my Jeep XJ cornered better.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Well, we've already just done this. Although my son has had his base Neon for 5 years now and NY (buffalo) rust gremlins have eaten away the outer rockers and lower door skins. He loves his Neon to death knowing what all he's put it thru(and documented on the forum). But I found him a 2011 3.6 AWD Journey for 4 grand that came from Maryland(NO RUST). Yes 164k miles on it but in real nice shape...AND will haul his complete massive drum kit better than his Neon could and still carry a passenger or two!

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:29 pm

I think I might replace the SRT with a regular cab truck of some sort. I briefly owned a regular cab, short bed, 2WD Hemi Ram and it was a riot. Absolute tire shredder. Something along those lines. I already own the Journey for a kid hauler, so anything else will be purely for tinkering and driving enjoyment. It needs to be cheap as well. Maybe an older SRT-8 for shits and giggles.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm

In all honesty, I would just get another car, and keep the neon(s).

What would be replaced is the Impreza. With 215,000 miles, rust beginning, and deer damage, if it gets me through another winter, and a good ways into 2021, I'll be good.

Eventually, I will probably sell one of the neons...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:37 am

A late-model Dart with the lowest mileage I could find.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:49 am

Assuming I’d have to replace my daily car and not my fun cars, I’d probably pick a 2020 Toyota Corolla hatchback. You can get them with a 6 speed manual and have toyota reliability.

If I had to replace my SRT? It would probably be an older omni. Something I could still drive to work once or twice a week but still have a lot of fun with.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:12 am

pancakepuppy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:40 pm
If you had to replace your Neon with a vehicle that would fill the same role, what would you pick? New or used! :)
Same role? Well I wouldn't sell my Neon. I just can't do it. Yes I get bored of it at times and the transmission shifts like CRAP compared to other stick shift cars I have had. But if it were to go bye bye. Ultimated replacement would be a 08-10 Viper. That is my dream car that might be attainable at some point.

A c7 stingray with boost could work. Love the c7 grandsports too, but more $$$$. I am sure the values will go down once more c8's get pumped out of Kentucky.

Veloster N. Swap out wheels. Enjoy decent gas mileage and a newer car with a warranty that would be fun to drive around!

Can't really think of anything else right now. People are buying cars like crazy right now. Used and New. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 297869001/ I think good deals will happen once the dust settles after the govt stops throwing money to everyone that is printed out of thin air. Stupid fiat money. (Not the car MFR) :lol:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:27 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:12 am
I think good deals will happen once the dust settles after the govt stops throwing money to everyone that is printed out of thin air. Stupid fiat money. (Not the car MFR) :lol:
LOL, if ppl are/were depending on that $2400 extra a month, I hope all of it went to paying for the car, and not to manage payments. But if they did, it might make for some good repo deals for the rest of us. :lol:

For us working folks, what we got certainly wouldn't buy anything decent.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:05 pm

To be sure...within the next year there will be many "repo's" available! People tend to "over buy" when money and financing is easy, forgetting the long term costs to finish paying for something.

Return to “Off-Topic”