The Weather Thread

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Re: The Weather Thread

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:29 pm

I know what you mean. I delivered a vehicle to Westfield, IN yesterday afternoon and it was around 30 degrees. I then had to deliver a vehicle to Crawfordsville, IN and it was around 0 degrees when I left there. The windshield in the van I drove back to Kokomo cracked almost all the way across during the return trip. Word was cancelled for today, thank goodness.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:40 pm

Oh, I didn’t realize you’ve started working again, where did you land?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:47 pm

^^^
X2!

Down to -7º here today. No issues getting to and from work. Good old Symmetrical AWD and winter tires FTW!

I actually made better time than usual, since there wasn't too many vehicles on the road this morning. It actually got colder as the day went on.

I was really liking the heated steering wheel today. :D
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:11 am

INVUJerry wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:40 pm
Oh, I didn’t realize you’ve started working again, where did you land?
I work part-time as a shuttle driver for a rental car company. Even though I have been state-certified as a pharmacy technician since 1994 and have worked previously for two closed-door pharmacies, I could not find a job here in town (too much experience and the wrong color and sex, I guess).

I started at Speedway on July 18th (which is why I had to leave Carlisle early) but I quit after three weeks (I can't stand all day due to two pinched nerves in my lower spine). I then worked for less than a week at Goodwill (I was let go due to my using a ladder to reach items over my head and sitting on a chair to reach items just a few inches above the floor). Don't believe Goodwill's advertising about helping the handicapped- I found out that it is pretty much a lie.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:58 pm

Goodwill is pretty much crap all the way around. If they get donations that they don't think they can move at the location they are dropped at, they toss them onto the dumpster.

That's how the one around my area operates. My mother dropped a bunch of clothes in nice shape, and they were tossing them in the dumpster before she got out of the parking lot. She made the guy dig them out and give them back to her.

We now use an Apostolic donation center that takes about anything, and it stays there until some eventually buys it. As long as it is functional and not total trash anyways. They have better pricing than Goodwill and a far better selection of items.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:35 pm

After I had been working there for several days, I was told that I would have to get a doctor's note to use a ladder. My "supervisor" knew that I had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon the next day and that I would more than likely get that note from him. Before I went to lunch that day, she told me that I would need the note. After my 30 minute lunch break, she told me that it would be best if Goodwill and I "parted ways" (her words). She said that all she kept hearing from me was, "I can't, I can't, I can't" and asked if there were any other "disabilities" (again her words) that she should know about. She also told me that I would not be receiving the same training that other new hires were receiving. I wish that she had been open about all of this before I agreed to work there- I wouldn't have wasted my time otherwise. [/off-topic]

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:19 am

High of 55 today, going to be snowing tomorrow.

Apparently we're having a "La Niña" event which is causing the warmer weather. It makes it harder for the snowy weather to get to the east coast, specifically over the Appalachian mountains, but we will be having some cold weather later this week.

From climate.gov:
Looking ahead
Let’s get right to the punchline: there’s an 82% chance that La Niña will have ended and neutral conditions will reign by springtime (March–May).
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/b ... tes-part-2

I used to love the cold, but with my bone spur in my hip, and all the other joint damage I have going on, I'm achy during the weather now. And it makes my nose run, which I hate for doing videos.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:53 am

Actually dusted a sprinkling of snow this morning. After being 55 on monday and mid 40's yesterday.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:06 am

Since I'm DD'ing my mother's 2005 Chrysler 300 to work now, it sits outside in the cold all day- first time it hasn't been garaged during the day. I feel guilty when I get off work, start it up and scrape the snow and ice off the windshield and backlight.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:47 am

Today is a little rough.

Florida was 80-85* all week.

Tonight it's dropping to 14*
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior