MPx Underdrive pulley

Did you buy a part and think it was awesome, or did you think it was a piece of crap? Let everyone know here so we know not to buy the same product.
tybon
n00b
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:03 pm
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Post by tybon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:31 pm

Same here. I got the UR lookalikes. With the stock pulley, it felt like I was driving with the e-brake for all those years. I'm interested to see if the UDP will effect my gas mileage.

lilolneon
2GN Member
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:38 am
Location: Ellijay, GA

Post by lilolneon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:44 pm

I wanna put mine on... :cry: i have no way of taking my stock pulley off tho :(
Image
2003 Atlantic Blue SE (R.I.P. 03-06)
2003 Black SXT (R.I.P. 06-14)
2007 Silver Civic LX Coupe

anomalous0
2GN Member
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Arizona

Post by anomalous0 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:45 pm

one thing that helps is a good grounding system for your car. My idle has dropped since I put on my (eBay) UDP, but my headlights are still brighter than they were with the stock pulley and grounding cables. Granted, I need to do some voltage tests to really be sure, but headlight brightness is a fairly good subjective measure of voltage.
"If you haven't bled on it, it's not your car"

kbobob
2GN Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:21 pm

Post by kbobob » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:44 pm

well...i put on the mpx udp and love it...at the same time i put on one of adam k's alt pullys. the only issues i ever had with this is sometimes my belts slip in cold weather, and when i check the belts they both seem tight enough, not sure why this happens, but i do keep an eye on the belts and replace them if they need it. my volts sit nicely at 14.4....oh...2001 neon too...

and i know a lot of people say not to bother doing anything to an atx car....but the udp made a huge difference, if there was one mod i would do if i ever get another neon ...its a mpx udp
2001 neon LE (sport appearance package) - 212,000kms - steel blue - my car
2001 Neon LE - Base 95,000kms - salsa red - moms car
2005 Dodge SX2.0 sport - 97,000kms - inferno red - fiances car

racer12306
Junior Admin
Posts: 16015
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by racer12306 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:24 pm

i put an udp on my 04 this past weekend.

excellant mod

it seems to be smoother when accelerating from low rpms, like at 55mph in 5th. so far it looks like mpg has gone up but we will see in a couple days when i fill up.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Wenuden
2GN Member
Posts: 2554
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:53 pm
Location: Alexandria, Va

Post by Wenuden » Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm

UDP's are a pretty good addition to most vehicles. This is the first car I've owned that I havn't put one on (yet). I'm hoping i can find a matched set of UDP and smaller Alt. pulley, like the sets that i had on my v8's (camaro and thunderbird, both came with harmonic balancers as well, dunno if that's a v8 thing or what).

User avatar
GTS
2GN Member
Posts: 753
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:58 am
Location: Chitown - Motown
Contact:

Post by GTS » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:03 am

I just installed my Megan Racing Pulley and so far I cant tell much difference except the AC is not as noticeble when you turn it on and off, and the car seems to rev easier in the high RPM ranges.

My only concern is that my volts sit way low... in fact I drove for 5hrs on the highway at speeds of 70-75 even 80 at times and the volt reading was around 13.8-13.9... every now and then it would hit 14... at idle and on trafic lights the volts go to around 13.5

Now I dont know how that will affect my battery but it cant be good if the stock one was supposed to get 14.5-14.7vots.

I am taking these readings from my scan gauge which reads them from the OBD port on the car and I guess that is what the computer sees. The A-pillar volt gauge reads around 14 and it doesnt really move at all.

Any input on this.
Image

User avatar
Adionik
2GN Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am
Location: S.A

Post by Adionik » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:31 pm

GTS wrote:I just installed my Megan Racing Pulley and so far I cant tell much difference except the AC is not as noticeble when you turn it on and off, and the car seems to rev easier in the high RPM ranges.

My only concern is that my volts sit way low... in fact I drove for 5hrs on the highway at speeds of 70-75 even 80 at times and the volt reading was around 13.8-13.9... every now and then it would hit 14... at idle and on trafic lights the volts go to around 13.5

Now I dont know how that will affect my battery but it cant be good if the stock one was supposed to get 14.5-14.7vots.

I am taking these readings from my scan gauge which reads them from the OBD port on the car and I guess that is what the computer sees. The A-pillar volt gauge reads around 14 and it doesnt really move at all.

Any input on this.
That's scary...i thought the volts were supposed to be back to normal in highway driving
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

racer12306
Junior Admin
Posts: 16015
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by racer12306 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:35 pm

I measured voltage at the battery at idle before and after I put my UDP, it stayed pretty much the same.

But I was reading about 13.9 or 14.0 before the pulley.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

User avatar
Adionik
2GN Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am
Location: S.A

Post by Adionik » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:48 pm

racer12306 wrote:I measured voltage at the battery at idle before and after I put my UDP, it stayed pretty much the same.

But I was reading about 13.9 or 14.0 before the pulley.
HAHAHA. interresting sig.

i'm not trying to focus on the negative here, but i don't hear enough about the udp problems aside from headlights dimming. which affects my decision a lot. maybe i haven't heard much because there isn't many problems?
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

racer12306
Junior Admin
Posts: 16015
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by racer12306 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:17 pm

There just aren't that many problems.

I installed a voltage gauge just incase I have too many things on. Sure sitting at a red light with your lights and defrost on is going to put you pretty close to 12V. Except for that I never have a voltage problem.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

User avatar
Adionik
2GN Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am
Location: S.A

Post by Adionik » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Why would you have your defrost on?

I always travel with the AC off...sometimes with it on. I'm worried about the PS, Alt, Bttry, Oil Pump problems....like them failing
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

racer12306
Junior Admin
Posts: 16015
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by racer12306 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:00 pm

rear defrost, when its cold.

i doubt you have to worry about those things failing. there are people with over 100,000 miles on their UDP.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

User avatar
Adionik
2GN Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am
Location: S.A

Post by Adionik » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:51 pm

oh i was meaning to ask you if you had a big system?
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

racer12306
Junior Admin
Posts: 16015
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by racer12306 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:02 pm

nope

if i ever do get one it will be a small setup, probably similar to the livin loud setup. small box in the corner, with a 10" and a small amp. nothing crazy.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

User avatar
Adionik
2GN Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am
Location: S.A

Post by Adionik » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Has your car felt as though it wants to die or anything....those volts aren't healthy are they?
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

racer12306
Junior Admin
Posts: 16015
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by racer12306 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:20 pm

it is normal for an alternator to put out 13 - 14.5ish volts, or is it 13 - 15. but something like that.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

User avatar
Adionik
2GN Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am
Location: S.A

Post by Adionik » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:28 pm

how drastic is the butt dyno change? does it really make a difference with the a/c?

thank you for answering all my questions lol
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

racer12306
Junior Admin
Posts: 16015
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by racer12306 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:33 pm

i don't know about the a/c because i have nothing to compare it to. i installed it at a time when i didn't need a/c.

but as i said above, it did seem to pull smoother at lower rpm's than before, such as from 55mph in 5th
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

User avatar
GTS
2GN Member
Posts: 753
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:58 am
Location: Chitown - Motown
Contact:

Post by GTS » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Well I guess the high 13 volts are totaly normal anything below 13.5 is going towards the bad side and anything over 14.5 is bad too as it overcharges the battery so the sweet spot is around 14v which is more or less what mine is getting as it stands now... so I wish I would have compared it to before to see what the difference is but... now I dont notice the AC load on the engine as much and everything works as before no difference in cold for the AC or dimming lights...

I just reinstalled my Iceman and OMG what a difference the pulley makes... the car used to bog down real bad between 2-3K RPM and now it moves smoothly in that range and then at 3K the power just hits you... in fact this weekend I was out testing it out and this Riced out honda was messing with me... We did a traffic start and as soon as I hit 3K I started pulling on the guy all the way up to 6.5K ... he asked what I had done to it and it sounded that he had a lot more money spent into his... but o well ATX hondas suck anyway.
Image

User avatar
Adionik
2GN Member
Posts: 2777
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am
Location: S.A

Post by Adionik » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:05 pm

GTS wrote:Well I guess the high 13 volts are totaly normal anything below 13.5 is going towards the bad side and anything over 14.5 is bad too as it overcharges the battery so the sweet spot is around 14v which is more or less what mine is getting as it stands now... so I wish I would have compared it to before to see what the difference is but... now I dont notice the AC load on the engine as much and everything works as before no difference in cold for the AC or dimming lights...

I just reinstalled my Iceman and OMG what a difference the pulley makes... the car used to bog down real bad between 2-3K RPM and now it moves smoothly in that range and then at 3K the power just hits you... in fact this weekend I was out testing it out and this Riced out honda was messing with me... We did a traffic start and as soon as I hit 3K I started pulling on the guy all the way up to 6.5K ... he asked what I had done to it and it sounded that he had a lot more money spent into his... but o well ATX hondas suck anyway.
Do you have an atx?

I kind of want to get one now. I notice when I have my windows rolled up my headilghts dim if i flick the switches.
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

User avatar
Nutmeg
2GN Member
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Washington

Post by Nutmeg » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:07 pm

Adionik wrote: I notice when I have my windows rolled up my headilghts dim if i flick the switches.
Yeah you can hear the A/C bobble if you flick the switches also. Just thought I'd throw that in. I think my next mod is gonna be a UDP. The A/C is strong enough, and it's always cold here.
Image

racer12306
Junior Admin
Posts: 16015
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by racer12306 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:24 pm

i think my lights dimmed when i did that before the udp.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

03silversxt
2GN Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: Weslaco, TX

Post by 03silversxt » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:30 pm

I live in South Texas so I always run the a/c, day and night. Lately we have been getting cool weather (for our part of the country anyways) so I have not been using the a/c. What I would like to know is, would I have to change any other pulleys if I were to install a udp?

Martin
They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken!

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:48 am
Location: Waterford works ,NJ

Post by Fuzzyneon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:39 am

Nutmeg wrote:
Adionik wrote: I notice when I have my windows rolled up my headilghts dim if i flick the switches.
Yeah you can hear the A/C bobble if you flick the switches also. Just thought I'd throw that in. I think my next mod is gonna be a UDP. The A/C is strong enough, and it's always cold here.
I have the stock pully and no mods done to my car and my car does that with the windows its not a bad dim but its alsight

OlyR/T
2GN Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:28 pm
Location: Olympia

Post by OlyR/T » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 am

Is the unorthodox udp worth the $100 more or are they the same quality?

Jerome Adams
2GN Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE

Post by Jerome Adams » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:47 pm

03silversxt wrote:I live in South Texas so I always run the a/c, day and night. Lately we have been getting cool weather (for our part of the country anyways) so I have not been using the a/c. What I would like to know is, would I have to change any other pulleys if I were to install a udp?

Martin
No just get a UDP and you will need a new belt (the one from Modern Performance comes with the correct belt). I am in southern MS and run the AC all summer...it is not "brain freeze" cold like it was before but it still is quite cold, so you will be okay.
Jerome

'03 SXT...DODGE NEON CONES

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #067

Backman4sakn
2GN Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Post by Backman4sakn » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:24 pm

Just put in my Mpx UDP this weekend! I love it!!!!!!! :twisted:

Lufkom
2GN Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 am
Location: 413

Post by Lufkom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:06 pm

I just installed my mpx udp and I must say I'm very dissapointed with mp they sent me the wrong belts. The alternator belt was the same size as my stock belt and the ac/ps belt was too big also even with the tentionor all the way out. I went with the belts listed on the unorthadox udp and they work but I had to spend about another 40$. Great product and made a big difference but I'm very unhappy with mp.

Owell
Image

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor
Posts: 3165
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:08 pm
Location: Austin, Tx
Contact:

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:06 pm

^I'm sure they would have sent you the appropriate ones had you contacted them.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

Post Reply

Return to “Parts/Product Reviews”