Lorenzo 60mm TB - Smooth RPM, firm feel, responsive, no gain

Did you buy a part and think it was awesome, or did you think it was a piece of crap? Let everyone know here so we know not to buy the same product.
nodestiny
2GN Member

Lorenzo 60mm TB - Smooth RPM, firm feel, responsive, no gain

Post by nodestiny » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:37 pm

Much like having a STS and boogers... firmer feel, shorter throw... but no real gain. The RPM range feels a smooth(er), but i didnt notice any butt-dyno performance. I opened it up quite a few times to make sure... yup... if it gained any HP, i didnt notice it. I got this unit used for $170 shipped, and functions fine. The quality is very good! No complaints about the quality build... seems to have options and adjustability all around. I wouldnt pay $300 for it, but a used deal is still a deal :D

Just thought i would share ;)
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:30 pm

Thanks for sharing... I've been wondering about the big deal with the 60mm throttle bodies, but I have yet to hear anything about them making them worth the price... New, at least.

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:45 am

perhaps the NGCers dont notice it is as much, but (as also seen on diablo0's dyno) there is definitely some top-end power to be gained by not having that stock 49mm bottle neck. i can vouch for that

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:48 am

same here, but im using the MPx TB...not the lorenzo...
Ive heard nothing but bad reviews on the lorenzo....

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:57 pm

modern performance 60mm throttle body owners unite! :high five:

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:46 pm

I dont know why, but any MPx owner has praised the upgrade, and never had a problem. As for the Lorenzo, im not going to dis him but it seems that the MPx is the way to go without any problems...

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:56 pm

Im not claiming to gain no power! BUT on the butt dyno, WOT 49mm stock VS 60mm aftermarket, there is very small differance. Kind of the like the differance between putting on low restriction muffler. Didnt make a HUGE differance. My CAI made more of a differance. 3.5HP gain is not very much. It seems smoother, but i wouldnt claim any major HP gains. Maybe if a get a 60mm piping welded on the Mag intake... but with my ported out intake, it still should go smoothly (rounded off the lip of the intake so its not a direct edge, smoothed out from 53.5 mm to 54+ mm)

I bought my TB used, but even then so, i only had to do slight modding of the cable braket to make it work (which wasnt hard, dremel away!) Actualy im not even 100% its a lorenzo... says "BM" on the side... i thought he said lorenzo, but not 100% now :?
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:18 pm

that sucks. there shouldnt be any modifications to a 'bolt-on' part... i think BRR will agree that the mpx unit didnt, right :) :) :) dont be jealous

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:49 am

^^^
As he stated, plug and play. Im even using a TB made for an 01 Automatic. The only thing I had to do was swap the cruise cable and the TB cable and everything was fine.
So instead of my TB cable being next to the TB, the cruise cable is...

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:08 pm

My mpx helped alot... It was wonderful, I felt the differecne right away...
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stg2/Toys, 3" TBE, 3"o2, FM Wastegate, AEM Intake, Running 20psi

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:41 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:same here, but im using the MPx TB...not the lorenzo...
Ive heard nothing but bad reviews on the lorenzo....

I've got a Lorenzo, and it's great. Only paid $175 though, so like nodestiny, i didn't buck up $300. Feels much better, and I bet when all my mods are on, if I switched the stock TB back in, I'd feel it....in a bad way.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

ram50rocket
2GN Member

Post by ram50rocket » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:55 am

Just so the newer guys don't get the wrong ideas. The Lorenzo I had on my ACR was great, what bad reviews are you referring to blackrose? There is a big thread on throttlebodies earlier in product reviews. As far as "not noticing any gains", you may not notice with just one part, (especially on an already highly effiecent N/A 4 cylinder like the magnum) but with multiple parts it does start adding up. Especially when these parts work better in conjunction with eachother. But with a non-magnum car, you still are only going to get as much air as your manifold will allow in etc. I never got to porting my manifold like you did, but definitely port the TB neck. I think I had a pretty good combo on my last neon, listed in my cardomain. I miss my ACR.

Not to get off subject, but with the short throw and bushings, you should feel a quicker pull through the gears, or your not shifting right. I noticed I was shifting higher in the rpm range between gears, almost like on a crotch rocket. The higher you can shift in the power band, the quicker you can get through the next gear. On that note, I need to get another set of booger bushings for my new car.
89 Ram50 engine swap???
05 SRT-4 deburred
02 ACR, R.I.P. thx 4 nothin Insurance Co.
00 ES traded in 4 ACR
titansxt wrote:I hear the whats it called, Dodge Neon, is a good car.
you could probably go get your "umadbro" polished up to make it look like a new comeback again

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:33 pm

I can see where if i welded on a 60mm inlet on the intake manifold (instead of my ported 54mm) and then got the mag head (where im guessing most of my loss is) i would most likely feel the TB the most. But on the stock SXT head, i dont think it can flow well enough to use the full potential of the 60mm intake.

As for the STS + bushings... I wasnt saying the STS and bushings were useless, but more that it did not seem to increase HP. The combo helped shift faster, and has a better feel to it than stock, but is not a real power gain. Thats how i felt about the TB (meaning it felt nice as a TB, but as actual gain it didnt seem to do much). Just kind of an odd example i guess (i do that sometimes so i am told :D )

I DO plan to do the 60mm piping (got it right now) and get the mag head (not till 60K for a timing belt change though!). But it will be a while. Going to work on other things till then.

J-Villa
2GN Veteran

Post by J-Villa » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:38 pm

tamadrumr88 wrote:modern performance 60mm throttle body owners unite! :high five:
Wanna Sell Me Your 2gn??
Official I sold my Neon Member #004

oklamopar
2GN Member

Post by oklamopar » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:51 am

Got mine off e-bay [used] for $139.50 with shipping,
Quality is a 10
instalation 10
throttle responce is great
as far as a noticable gain, not to sure.
for the $$$$$ is was worth the chance.
just adding mods as can afford.
thanks to jackrabbit motorsports.
Mopar Or No Car
GOD Allows U-Turns!
2002 R/T "Blackula" SOLD
1998 Neon Sport. wife's
2003 SRT-4 .FRANKENSTEIN. S1 "SOLD"
1998.5 Ram 3500 Quad-cab 4x2 DWR
1969 Dodge D100 SWB

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:59 am

Damn I missed another 60mm TB :lol:

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:26 am

Moved here from another thread :wink:
Geef wrote:post resurrection!!!

background (if you dont want to read backwards):

i had an emanage installed along with lorenzo's 60mm TB. No codes no limp mode. But the car was running like sh*t and i read about an ecu update for my 03 RT. so i removed the emanage and TB to take it into the shop. I got the ecu reflashed.

the car still ran crappy. studdering and sometimes it just didnt want to go.

well i got some free time and finally got around to cleaning my air filter (pain in the a$$... iceman CAI --> did not want to let me take the filter off unless i too the whole thing out of my car, so i kept putting off cleaning it... i know i know, bad idea)
anyways, i also decided to put my 60mm TB back on. drove it the next day and it ran worse than before. (i had the fuel pump fuse out for about 30-40 mins while i was cleaning the fliter... so the computer should have been reset). got to where i was going and was pissed about the performance. got back on the road (highway actually... all back roads the first time out) and floored it (mainly cause i was pissed). well it was driving much better now. got off the highway and the car is running perfectly! its only been about 100-115 mile but no issues and more importanlty no CEL!! I do have a map clamp that im going to try out if i do get a CEL but so far so good.

sadly i dont really know what made my car run better. if it was the clean air filter (very possible), or the bigger TB with a good amount of time to reset the computer(ehh, possibly but i vote on the filter) or the full tank of 94 gas instead of the normal 93 (it was the same price :shock: ) (i seriously doubt it was the gas).

but either way, the ecu flash seems to be helping thus far and my car runs like it should now!!

sorry for the long winded post but i hope others might be able to benefit from this. I will try and keep this updated as i get more miles on the TB.

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:03 am

Well I got a Lorenzo TB installed again, one major thing different from the MPx and the LFS is the LFS has a smaller output than the MPx, why I think it was designed to use the stock bellows tube where the MPx was not. I honestly dont know if it hurts performance much, but I'll tell you this much....
What my car use to do an 1/4 throttle on the stock TB, using the LFS I barely have to touch the throttle to do the same thing....

ChrisRT
2GN Member

Post by ChrisRT » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:08 am

I've had the LFS on my car for about two weeks now.

Its a nice piece, pretty even compared to the MPx that I also have.

Back to back, the MPx is nicer to drive. It isn't as touchy of a throttle as the LFS is, however, the LFS is right there when you need it.

Install was easy and straight forward.
"Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art." - Ansel Adams

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited
2010 Jeep Wrangler 6spd/3.73's

04sxt2.0
2GN Member

Post by 04sxt2.0 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:15 pm

i recently got an LFS 60mm throttle body, the response is substancle over stock, even with a cai, it is very touchy i noticed you could be barerly on the gas, and it still wants to go high in rpm, just a little wierd over stock for how hard the gas pedal feels, the only thing that is wierd for me to deal with.

04 SXT- daily driver
93 GSX-16g turbo,dsmlink v3, bored 0.40 over 2g maf, ported head. Toy

CAI, lorenzo 60mm throttle body, B&m short shifter, SRT exhaust, 32" glass pack.

upcoming mods, RT manifold, UDP, and ODP,

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:41 am

04sxt2.0 wrote:i recently got an LFS 60mm throttle body, the response is substancle over stock, even with a cai, it is very touchy i noticed you could be barerly on the gas, and it still wants to go high in rpm, just a little wierd over stock for how hard the gas pedal feels, the only thing that is wierd for me to deal with.
Aside from the touchy feely aspects of the TB, are there any other gains? The car doesn't feel faster overall? :quotes:

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:12 pm

Dont listen to "butt-dyno" reports. Unless someone actualy does a before and after of the difference for gains, I will stick with the facts - response is better, and pedal feels better as well. Without mant mods, a 60mm TB is not going to net much... with cam, intake, header, and exhaust, you will definately get a gain
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:58 pm

I can get an MPx one for $150.

BUT i have the stock shitty intake manifold. Plastic FTL. I'm also pretty damn stock aside from that.

:[

I guess i better not get it.
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

sirvaliant_98
2GN Member

Post by sirvaliant_98 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:17 pm

even though this post started like 2yrs ago, I will give my review. short and sweet.

I had a lorenzo tb on my 2000 neon mtx which had iceman cai, borla header, high flow cat, and catback exhaust. As stated by other reviewers throttle repsonse was better, came on smoother all through the rpms. I was very pleased with lorenzo's tb and plan to buy another for our 04 neon with same mods.
2002 r/t with srt-4 swap, stg3, 11.68@119.76

my feedback

GunmetalNeon
2GN Member

Post by GunmetalNeon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:01 am

All I have to say is that any aftermarket throttle body is metal and wont explode during a nitrous backfire :roll: unlike stock ones

soul_sword34
2GN Member

Post by soul_sword34 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:35 pm

GunmetalNeon wrote:All I have to say is that any aftermarket throttle body is metal and wont explode during a nitrous backfire :roll: unlike stock ones
:laughing3:
Project Log viewtopic.php?t=27630
MP 60mm TB, K&N filter, Magnaflow muffler, Deyeme solid torque struts, MTX 3.55, Kyle shift end links, Booger bushings, Mopure STS, Powerslot rotors, 15" Rota Slipstreams, Falken Ziex 512's, Koni Yellow inserts, Hotchkis sways, Eibach pro springs. Work in progress.

jrumann59

Post by jrumann59 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:24 am

No matter the manufacturer you should feel a better throttle response the only people that should experience "gains" would be the NGC-less neon owners.
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

Demon_R/T

Post by Demon_R/T » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 am

nodestiny wrote: As for the STS + bushings... I wasnt saying the STS and bushings were useless, but more that it did not seem to increase HP. The combo helped shift faster, and has a better feel to it than stock, but is not a real power gain.
Am I missing something cause I'm new to neons? Or did you just not catch yourself? But, being the car car I am, I didn't think a short throw shifter is designed to increase horsepower. Kinda like a suspension set-up. A STS is designed for faster, shorter shifts whereas a suspension set-up is designed to get all the horsepower you can to the ground. I have heard of stories of ppl tweaking their suspension and putting more numbers down, but thats another story.

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 am

hey, i have a cai, and a magnum intake, i am getting one for 110 bucks, worth it?
Swordfish2Cowboy wrote:They left a pry bar? Well get the prints like they do on CSI, and track those fuckers down. Then cap them.
grindpunk16 wrote: You and about 2 dozen other folks want that cover. It came with the car, and it's all mine.. :twisted: :bootyshake: \:D/

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:59 pm

DoubtedNeon wrote:hey, i have a cai, and a magnum intake, i am getting one for 110 bucks, worth it?
For a $110 bucks ?? HELL YEAH..... :lol:
If you change your mind..... PLEASE send me a PM with the seller's info ! :lol:

Seriously, though, I think the larger throttle body is worthwhile, if only for the increased throttle response.
If you add OTHER modifications as well, it will help even more.
A larger Throttle Body and intake by itself will not help much... until you start adding a better exhaust and upgrade the rest of the intake.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Return to “Parts/Product Reviews”