"New" Hurst STS Shifter in a T-350 Trans

Did you buy a part and think it was awesome, or did you think it was a piece of crap? Let everyone know here so we know not to buy the same product.
LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

"New" Hurst STS Shifter in a T-350 Trans

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:45 pm

This is the new shifter currently available from Modern Performance for around $210 before shipping and before the cost of a stock unit to mount it to. I received this unit in trade for some help I offered a fellow owner. It was supposed to end up in my SRT but it was far to tall to be mounted to a pistol grip knob without hitting my radio so I put it in my SXT.

Before I continue with the review a bit of background on the SXT:
- Stock T-350 trans (~16k miles on it)
- Stock clutch (~16k miles on it)
- Stock bushings. Trans bushings are new, shifter bushings are OE
- Driving done: daily, highway and city mixed.
- Car had a stock shifter for ~5 months and then a Mopar STS with weighted Viper ball after that.

So this shifter comes as a module with a stick and needs to be mated to a factory shifter. No other shifter will work but I am under the assumption that any Hurst rod can be interchanged onto it. I however skipped the installation onto a shifter base because mine was pre-assembled prior to me receiving it:

I was under the naive assumption that I could use my stock base bushings (which are ES bushings) but had I read the instructions first (I guess I'm somewhat male brained :rofl:) I would've realized that it requires spacers that come with it. Install is a piece of cake, and if you've installed a shifter before....this one is no different. However I am not all that fond of how the cable is no longer straight on the passenger side...pictures of that to follow.

Install Difficulty: 2 out of 5

Here's some shots of the spacers that are used, the minute clearance of the rod to the floor pan, and pictures of the shifter installed. I did adjust the crossover cable in third gear prior to finalizing the installation.

The rod I was talking about that is no longer straight, not sure if this will cause any issues in the long term:

Installed:

Now if you're going to use the stock shift boot with these you'll need a zip tie to keep it held tight and to flip it over. Otherwise it will just look plain stupid.

Now for the review.

Pros:
- It's about stock height and comfortable to use from the armrest
- Rod brake works as intended
- It looks great
- Goes into gear easy
- Ergonomically well designed
- Ball has a nice weight to it.

Neutrals:
- This shifter is stated to be a 35% throw reduction, but it feels more like the stock shifter to me and in a sense like I went backwards from my Mopar STS.
- Install was easy

Cons:
- It's sloppy as hell. It's not nearly as firm as my Mopar 28% or my Maddog 50%. Now I know that I may be partial I have used the Mopar just about daily since 2004 when I purchased it, but this shifter is just sloppy. Stock feel going through gears, really squishy and it can be moved while in gear.
- The "rod brake" is annoying. While it works as intended that annoying click when going into third and fifth gear is definitely something I need to get used to.
- The way that shifter cable mounts....disturbs me. It may or may not be harmful I don't know but it doesn't look kosher to me.
- The spacers: get rid of the stiffness that any aftermarket bushing can provide. I have JM cradle bushings in the SRT and had the ES in the SXT and these just are not as firm.
- States it's a 35% redux but it feels like a longer throw than my Mopar which is a 28%.

Future plans: I may try adding booger bushings to the cables and trans to see if that helps stiffen things up a bit. I will also continue to use the shifter in the SXT unless when I purchase a new neon my boyfriend wants it in his over the Mopar.

Overall Impression: If this were not traded to me I can honestly say I would NOT buy it for it's performance. It's lacking in that department. It has the looks, it has a comfortable feel, but I like a stiff shifter, a firm gear exchange and this shifter falls short. If this shifter fit the height requirements I can honestly say I would HATE it in my SRT.

BigMac
2GN Member

Post by BigMac » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Did the previous owner actually purchase it from Modern? As you're probably aware, before a Hurst was available for the SRT-4 it was discovered that the one for the non-turbo PT Cruiser would fit, though its rod was a bit too tall (as you indicated). I'm wondering if yours may have been for a PT originally.

Hurst part #s:
GT: 391 4032 (doesn't fit SRT-4)
non-turbo: 391 4030
SRT-4: 391 4017

Might this be of some help?
Mac's 04 SRT-4

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:49 am

When I read where you thought it was squishy, the first thing I thought of was those stupid spacers.

I'll let you know when I'm able to make more if you would like a set.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Mac: This shifter was in fact purchased through Modern, it is the second version of it because the initial version had issues that Hurst needed to correct. It's not too tall to be in a Neon, but if I were to put a pistol grip rod in it, or put my pistol grip knob on it, it would be way too tall for my SRT and would hit the radio. The rod as it stands is just about stock height give or take a mm.

Frank: That's my thinking is that the spacers are causing the squishy-ness because it's not firmly planted on the floor pan. I'd love a set, you make them to fit this shifter exactly??

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:05 pm

It should be the same as the previous Hurst shifter, correct?

All I can provide is the spacer to lift the cradle up some, then the washer that is provided should be used on top. Even at that I can make it a little taller if need be. If you can measure the spacer, I can make sure it's the same or slightly taller.

I can not say for certain when I will be able to make them. I know there are a couple people interested in normal bushings too.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

I would imagine so? I'd be happy to measure them for you if you needed the measurements. I really think they're the reason it's so sloppy. I don't understand why they made it that way....

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:56 pm

weird my hurst looks different that that and doesnt hang low like yours. i think its version 1. I have a black plate under the billet block. not under the shifter base mount And the one i have feels almost like my old maddog i had in stevens 00.

96 ranger 5.0,4wd,atx swap, jd lift and more, oem+
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

dpuck153
2GN Member

Post by dpuck153 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:26 am

I have had a Hurst shifter (old SRT4 one) in my first gen for forever. Of course I had to do some modifications but it works like a champ. I also have had an original Hurst shifter in my 05 SRT4 since I bought it in 2007 and I have loved that thing since the day I put it in. I dont feel like mine has ever been squishy or hard to shift, but then I might be partial to the Hurst.

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Any update on this, Crystal?
I'm definitely considering one of these very soon, and would like to know if you solved the squishy feeling or not.
Most people seem very happy with it. Wondering if maybe yours is just wonky or something since you got it second-hand.
02 Neon R/T(Blackula) - Old and busted
05 SRT-4(Serenity) - Sold
20th Anniversary Golf GTI - Sold
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

LilSparkPlug wrote:Mmmm beefy :rofl:

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed May 30, 2012 4:37 pm

It's a squishy shifter and honestly your money would be better spent on a Maddog or a Mopar that's my honest opinion. My only thoughts behind this is that because it requires spacers to work it doesn't allow it to be stiff like the other shifters on the market.

Mine isn't wonky, the guy bought it brand new and had it on his car for only a few thousand miles. It comes down to the design of the unit itself. If you've never had a short throw before you might love it and think I'm completely out of my tree for writing a review like this. But having had only short throws since 2004 in my SRT and since 2009 in my SXT this one is a far cry from what I'm used to.

When I look at short throws I want a throw reduction and stiffness (i.e. no motion left/right in gear, no sloppiness, firmly planted to the floor, etc.) and this one just doesn't provide that to me.

If you were closer I'd say feel the difference between my Maddog and my Hurst and you'll see what I mean but unfortunately you live way over there :rofl:

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Wed May 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Gotcha! :P
And thanks!
I was gonna ask Nick if I could try his out, but he's selling all his Neon things and the shifter's outta the car so i'm outta luck :P

Not sure when i'll be picking a shifter up, but i'll keep your info in mind. I've wanted one for a while, and I love the name/look. So it might be hard to talk myself out of it. We'll see >.<
02 Neon R/T(Blackula) - Old and busted
05 SRT-4(Serenity) - Sold
20th Anniversary Golf GTI - Sold
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

LilSparkPlug wrote:Mmmm beefy :rofl:

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Find an old hurst unit like the one i posted if you get one. The new ones are junk. my brother has one of the original units and its amazing. The new ones modern has are sloppy and suck.
96 ranger 5.0,4wd,atx swap, jd lift and more, oem+
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

Return to “Parts/Product Reviews”