Banks AutoMind programmer #66108 for Dodge - My Opinion

Did you buy a part and think it was awesome, or did you think it was a piece of crap? Let everyone know here so we know not to buy the same product.
BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Banks AutoMind programmer #66108 for Dodge - My Opinion

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:43 am

Due to recent circumstances I ended up switching to the Banks Automind programmer due to cost an availability. I figured if Banks can build some potent Diesel performance vehicles this programmer should be definitely worth the money.
This comes preloaded with performance tunes and does not require internet access to load the files. It has several options also preloaded just like other programmers...tire size,rev limits,speed limits..etc...
First I have had this unit for only one day so time will tell how well it actually does...
87oct Sport Tune -
I used this tune yesterday, I noticed stock feeling low end torque nothing really to get worked up over. Once I got into the throttle and got it up to the upper midrange and top end the truck seemed to really wake up. I did have to let off the throttle at 6000rpm to get it to shift and then tip back into the throttle to keep going. Overall the 87 Sport tune is ok, it aparently is not designed for low speed cruising around town but for the most power on 87 oct it does pretty well. Fuel economy is a totally different story as it seemed to be worse than stock. Highway traveling with the cruise on it did hit 18mpg but held around 17mpg cruising at 58mph. As soon as there was any throttle input as the truck hit a slight incline, the economy dropped drastically down to about 13mpg. City driving, it sucks...I averaged around 8-9mpg city driving where as the last programmer got me at least 13mpg city.
87/93 Economy mode -
This is the current tune as I'm going to be working the next few days and I can get some long term highway driving to see how much better the fuel economy is on this tune. As for the city driving today with this tune, I'm averaging 6-7mpg :shock:

Stay tuned for more updates.....
Last edited by BlackRoseRacing on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:10 pm

continuation...
87/93 Octane Economy mode -
Final thoughts....I get better fuel economy stock....

93oct Sport mode -
Stopped wasting my time with this unit as previous modes showed no gains...

I did not do any dyno testing with this, this was all done during daily driving events. I ended up removing the flash from my truck and going back to stock. I got better fuel economy stock than I did using this programmers Eco mode :shock:
87 octane Sport mode did not seem any different than stock other than a higher rev limiter...
My personal opinion on the tuner from Banks, stick with your Turbo Diesels as the programmer for a gas engine was not impressive at all....

Return to “Parts/Product Reviews”