BANHOFF CLUTCHES

Did you buy a part and think it was awesome, or did you think it was a piece of crap? Let everyone know here so we know not to buy the same product.
bobneon2k
2GN Member

BANHOFF CLUTCHES

Post by bobneon2k » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm

I recently upgraded my clutch from stock to stage 1. I did this for 2 reasons.

1 in case i want to add more hp to my DD down the road and

2 the clutch I found was actually half the price if a new OEM style clutch.

The clutch I had installed was made by Banhof performance. I knew nothing about this company except it is not a well recognized brand. After doing a little research I found they are based in Florida which told me they more than likely make their own products and are not rebranding cheap asian parts. Further research led me to several forums where members who tried these clutches had nothing but high praise for them at all racing stages. None of these comments were about / for neon clutches but everything was good and nothing I could find was negative so I took a shot and ordered one off of ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170860176850?ss ... 1423.l2649

It has been installed and I am just about done with the mandatory 500 mile break in period. (50 miles to go!) I drive 50 - 150 miles a day for my job and I love this clutch. The springs are only slightly stiffer than stock, the "dead spot" between where the gear is disengaged and where it starts to grab is nearly non existent. Shifting gears is more fluid and the transfer of power is better than it used to be. The guy who installed it loves it too, telling me so without my having to ask when I picked up the car. He said it is not cheaply made and he really liked the overall feel of it in his test ride.

I paid $176 on ebay for this clutch shipped to my door. OEM clutches are 2x that if not more, stage 1 racing clutches like this one generally go for $450 and up. If Bahnhof performance is trying to make their name with products like this then they are well on their way. While you can't judge the long term quality of a clutch without putting on the miles and I was unable to find any long term use reviews for Bahnhof clutches, with the price point, the quality, and the feel of this clutch all being excellent I would not hesitate to buy another.
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:52 am

You need to look at more of their offerings.

These are both PN# 05-085B

$169.98

$175.98

$6 is a six pack to enjoy afterwards. ;)

Banhoff's advertised Capacities

HP: 245
Torque: 222 ft/lb

Disc O.D. 232mm / 9.134"

I have one on the way for the 1gn, since I have the engine out, I checked the thickness left on the clutch disk that is in there. It it getting pretty thin. It still grabs great, but since I am basically there...

The depth of the facing grooves isn't much more than here: viewtopic.php?p=967482#967482

So I am not risking it.

Basically the only difference between the neon clutch, PT, and the Stratus 2.7 for all but the very early neons is the the pressure plate clamping force, and possibly the disc material. Until someone disassembles a 2.7 modular clutch, possibly the I.D. of the friction disk may be smaller, giving some more surface area. My '01 is ~6" I.D. I can mich. it later for an exact number.

They all are ~9" O.D. discs. only the early 1gn/primarily Mexico made set ups were 8.5"
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

1stgenneon
n00b

Post by 1stgenneon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:03 am

I needs,replace my clutch to and I was,lookin at the clutch u got but only wonder is how heavy is the flywheel do u no?

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm

1stgenneon wrote:I needs,replace my clutch to and I was,lookin at the clutch u got but only wonder is how heavy is the flywheel do u no?
No sorry, the clutch is modular and I saw no reason to take it apart since i'm not a mechanic.
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

Boosted22sxt
2GN Member

Post by Boosted22sxt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:59 am

im using the stage 3 or 4 sprung 6 puk. its very touchy but has seen 15 plus pounds of boost and no problems. i have over 10k on it and counting

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:04 am

I have it on the 1gn. My only complaint is the center hat was not the best fit, as it barely stayed in. I now have a vibration, most likely from the flywheel being a few thousandths off center.

So now I'll have to pull it again, and hope the oem center hat fits better, and pray that the hole was not bored too large. Probably should have reused the original hat, but didn't think of it at the time.

Really shouldn't have to.... but at least they made an effort. The Spec didn't even come with one. Maybe that's a good thing.

Other than that, it seems like a decent clutch for the money. It does hold up to 7200 rpm.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 pm

After putting the oem center into the clutch, it still vibrates, just changed it a little. I'm probably going to put the one that came with the car back in, and toss this POS in the trash if the vibration goes away. The Bahnhof center hat was not only loose in the flywheel, but I had to literally pry it out of the crank with a large screwdriver. It should be snug, not a damn press fit.

The only other possibility I can think of, is the center in the crank is off. Probably not much chance of that, but it isn't like i was able to fire this thing up and test drive it when I bought it. I will know for sure when I get the other clutch back in. The fact that it did change with the center hat, leads me to believe either the flywheel, or the pressure plate aren't balanced. It doesn't change with the clutch engaged or released, so the disc is probably ok.
All warranty claims must be made through BAHNHOF prior to shipping the product back. The buyer must first contact BAHNHOF via email to begin the warranty / defective claim process. An RMA number will be issued if the product is defective or in need of further inspection. Upon receipt of the product, BAHNHOF will forward the product to the manufacturer for inspection and testing. If the product is determined to be defective, BAHNHOF will issue a full refund for the product and all incurred shipping charges. BAHNHOF under no condition will refund or compensate on labor, installation.
Meanwhile you are SOL without a car, if you are counting on getting the money back anytime soon. Notice they don't mention what happens if it is not determined to be "defective" .

It engages nicely, other than the vibrations, I really have no issues with the grip, or the feel. But holy shit the annoyance factor is enough to scrap the thing. Not to mention creating new rattles in the car each day.

Once I determine if it is the balance of the clutch, or a bad crankshaft (doubtful), I will contact them and see what their response is.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Boosted22sxt
2GN Member

Post by Boosted22sxt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:49 am

Wow that weird you have a vibration... mine is fine other than some clutch chatter but that's expected with a 6 puck... I just ordered another stage 3 clutch.... I hope I don't have an issue. I also know the last one i got had a washer on top of the lock nut...i messaged then pissed and told then there quality control sucks and they refunded me 55 bucks. I was like holy shit... and Ifixed it my self. They are really not hard to deal with..

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Any word on yours Bill? My clutch is nearing time for replacement and was thinking about this.
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

Sxteve
2GN Member

Post by Sxteve » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:08 pm

$6 is a six pack to enjoy afterwards. - Bill

Or durring =) - SXTeve
04 SXT WIP

--- Stickers make my car go faster---

viewtopic.php?t=65505

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 am

Was planning on doing it this last weekend, but got a nasty cold. Missed work Friday, and felt like crap through today. Figures a nice weekend, and I take a shit. :lol: It's what I get for planning.

Hopefully soon.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 am

Did you guys buy the clutch off Ebay or some other website. I've seen them on ebay but didn't know if they are available somewhere else so that's why I ask.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:13 am

Ebay
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Boosted22sxt
2GN Member

Post by Boosted22sxt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Yes like bill said eBay... and there not hard to deal with... if you have an issue message them.. they will reply pretty quickly. I ordered my clutch on the April 5th and it should be here today and it came from Florida.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:55 pm

OK, I swapped the clutch out with the one that came with the car. It still vibrates, just at a different RPM. So the replacement engine is probably the better part of it. The slight differences in the overall weight might explain the range in which the vibration occurs at.

So it looks like something I am stuck with.... And solid motor mounts are 1000% out of the question.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Well that's shitty for you, time to get the crank balanced? I'm gonna buy one for the white coupe soon and see how it goes, I figure on adding boogers too.
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

cook2790
2GN Member

Post by cook2790 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:01 pm

BAHNHOF Stage 2 Clutch Kit Set 94-95 Dodge Plymouth Neon 2.0L 96-99 11th Vin "T"

this clutch says the seller is not processing orders until July 5th, my question is this:
is this only for first gens? or will it fit in my 2005 sxt?
not to sound stupid, I just dont know what kind of tranny the first gens came with.
-Cameron

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:52 am

so long as you have a non modular flywheel it will fit your 05 neon
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:33 pm

so it's a year later and I have to replace my clutch already. it didn't even last 12000 miles. I'm getting a lot of clutch chatter now too. That caused the upper and lower strut tower braces (engine mounts) to tear. To say i'm disappointed with banhoff is an understatement. any money saved was spent on new mounts so I will avoid them this time around and go with a sachs since they make the OEM clutches for chrysler. I'm going back to stock too since I'm not going to be adding any more hp than the few gained with the new exhaust and a new WAI to my car.

Forget my opening comments and stay away from banhoff
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Honestly, go with the Stratus clutch.

Get the LUK brand. It is a reboxed Sachs Clutch, but at a cheaper cost than you can find Sachs for. I got mine for $242 free shipping on ebay.

I put the Banhoff in the '01. It seems more wimpy than the stock clutch with the 3.55 gears. It doesn't slip (yet), but is not at all agressive about hook up.

The Stratus clutch is hands down better than the Spec also. It hooks great, isn't really harsh, but very firm.

LUK CLUTCH 05-119 02-04 DODGE STRATUS 2.7 V6

Is what you can search under. Prices currently seem to be a little higher than what I paid.

It is worth it tho, I love this clutch. FWIW I have 3.55 gears in the 1gn now, with a 2.4. So there is no advantage as far as gearing either.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:59 am

I was reading some of your posts about the stratus clutch O.D. will it work in the 2.0 with the cable clutch set up? ( IIRC you have a hydro tranny) I understand you have it for its ability to handle more power but that is not a concern for me. MY main issue is longevity. I don't want to be buying clutches every year.
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:00 am

bobneon2k wrote:I was reading some of your posts about the stratus clutch O.D. will it work in the 2.0 with the cable clutch set up? ( IIRC you have a hydro tranny) I understand you have it for its ability to handle more power but that is not a concern for me. MY main issue is longevity. I don't want to be buying clutches every year.
I have it in the 1gn, so yes, it works fine with the cable set up.

Sorry I missed your reply. As for power, it is pretty much a stock 2.4 at the current time. Probably going to be that way for a while.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: BANHOFF CLUTCHES

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:46 am

I probably had about 60,000 miles on it (Banhoff) when I parked the '01.

It was just a stock replacement grade clutch, so maybe that's a factor.

It was still holding/functioning, just not much feel for engagement or confidence inspiring, for performance stuff. But for a normally driven DD, it would probably last about average. The lack of feel was the same for either cable or hydro actuation, so that had little or nothing to do with it.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Parts/Product Reviews”