Imprezza struts on 2gn cars

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Imprezza struts on 2gn cars

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:08 am

So, what used to be a common swap with Turbo Dodge guys is to run Subaru Imprezza KYB AGX shocks on the front of their cars (the rear is a solid axle on them). Readily available, bolt in with some small modifications. I figure this might be a decent venture to look into for guys that want something slightly better than stock for the guys that want adjustable dampeners without going to a full coilover.

Here's the TD thread:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showt ... tall-on-TD!!!!

Here's some measurements I found on Rock Auto:

Dodge Neon 00-05 front
KYB 235627 Specifications
Extended Length (IN) 20.2
Compressed Length (IN) 14.25
Stroke Length (IN) 5.94

Dodge Neon 00-05 Rear
KYB 235629 Specifications
Extended Length (IN) 24.37
Compressed Length (IN) 16.54
Stroke Length (IN) 7.83
Upper Mount Type 14x2.00

Subaru Impreza Front (95-07?)
KYB 734007 Specifications
Extended Length (IN) 20.71
Compressed Length (IN) 14.13
Stroke Length (IN) 6.57

Subaru Imprezza 00-07 Rear
KYB 733011 Specifications
Extended Length (IN) 23.15
Compressed Length (IN) 15.75
Stroke Length (IN) 7.4
Upper Mount Type 14x1.50

So I don't have the struts in my hand.

They said on the TD thread that the clevis/knuckle width is the same as on the Turbo Dodges, which means there will have to be some slight modifications done to make them fit on a 2gn, since there is a .30" difference there. Either open the struts up a touch, or grind the clevis down a touch, it's only 1/4" so it's not like it's a ton of meat that needs to be taken off. The bolt pattern is slightly different, you could conceivably just drill the strut out for the clevis and use a big washer to make it fit. What they did was Drill it out, and then weld in a small piece of metal to close it up. This a lot of work I don't see myself doing if I end up doing this swap :lol: .

If your car has a rear swaybar, you'll have to fabricate something to make them work. I'd suggest getting rid of that weird bracket that bolts to the strut bottom, and using something like the 1gn style that bolts to the clevis bolts. Maybe even what Vitor from neongoodies offers would work.

Just an idea for someone else to run with. If I get around to it, I might try it eventually. I really wish the struts were a bit shorter so I could use them on a 1gn.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Imprezza struts on 2gn cars

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:59 pm

As long as they are adjustable KYB they might be an upgrade. The KYB Excel G struts I had on my 2010 Impreza were no better than the worn out stock Subaru struts. I was pretty disappointed in them. It made me wish I had just bought oem replacements.

I also had a creaking sound in the right rear suspension that I couldn't figure out. One day jacking the car up, I discovered it was the strut that was making the sound. It had done it since they were new to the day I traded it in.

But they are very similar to the neon strut. The front suspension on the Impreza was pretty much like the 2gn neon, but with way better bushings. I had over 230,000 miles/12 years on the original bushings in the Impreza. I wish I could say that about my 2gn, but I would be a liar... I can say it about my '99 neon though, as it has 275,000 plus and 23 years on the original LCA bushings.

But now I kind of wish I had held onto the stock Subaru struts so I could post some comparison pics. Unfortunately I tossed all that stuff a while ago purging old stuff out of my garage.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:47 pm

Oh, I absolutely meant only the adjustable KYB AGX struts. The stock ones aren’t going to be much of an upgrade over our stock parts for sure.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:54 pm

The Excel G are supposed to be an upgrade over oem.

I was hoping for more towards the level of the Koni ST.R orange struts I have on the '99 neon.

If I had known about this then, I might have looked into seeing if the Konis were close enough to use on the Impreza. Koni does not make struts for Subaru. You can get the cartridges, and adapt those to the Subaru struts, but for $200+ each, plus modification, coil overs are far more cost effective in that scenario.

Not sure how I would have done the rear though, as the rear struts on the 2010 Impreza were significantly different.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”