Rear Driver's Wheel Locked Up On Me

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
-Nicky-
Recently Unbanned

Rear Driver's Wheel Locked Up On Me

Post by -Nicky- » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:23 pm

So here it what happen, I went to work, came back, washed my car and went to leave 20 minutes later and my rear drivers side wheel just completely locked up, it was completely still while my other wheels were spinning and it wouldn't move for anything...now I'll be honest and say I dont know much about car's at all but my brother does so he came out and checked the E-Brake cable and said it was fine and then took the tire off but everything was just locked up...so since my car was only bought a few weeks ago and is still under warrenty I called the dealer and it was towed there and is in the process of being fixed but it is really concerning me and I was wondering if anyone might know why this could of happened??? I'm very curious as to how I could drive it to and from work and then later that day it's being towed to the shop...could washing my car have ANYTHING to do with it??

:?:
-Nicole-

03blackrt
2GN Member

Post by 03blackrt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:38 pm

washing your car shouldn't harm the brakes, and definitly not if you have rear drum brakes. when i had my 2000 w/ rear drums and it sat for a few days the rear brakes were a little sticky and just needed to be broke free. most likely your rear brakes are just a little out of adjustment and needs to be readjusted or your parking brake cable/lever has something wrong with it. i belive the neons parking brake is self adjusting, but someone else would have to back me up on that.

-Nicky-
Recently Unbanned

Post by -Nicky- » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:49 pm

03blackrt wrote:washing your car shouldn't harm the brakes, and definitly not if you have rear drum brakes. when i had my 2000 w/ rear drums and it sat for a few days the rear brakes were a little sticky and just needed to be broke free. most likely your rear brakes are just a little out of adjustment and needs to be readjusted or your parking brake cable/lever has something wrong with it. i belive the neons parking brake is self adjusting, but someone else would have to back me up on that.

when I told the guy at the dealship that I washed my car he told me that, that was good to know as if it does have something to do with it but everyone else is telling me it couldnt and i really didnt think so myself. Hopefully they fix it and i wont have to have this problem ever again.
-Nicole-

ewetho
2GN Member

Post by ewetho » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:03 pm

Sounds as if your car had a brake shoe failure when you last stopped and it just wedged in there. Used car, did anyone look at the brakes before buying it??

Once fixed if done properly no biggie.
2004 Neon SE -- Mods -- K&N CAI, R/T Muffler, Booger Bushings, Prothane Suspension & Race MM Inserts, Vitor's TM Inserts

-Nicky-
Recently Unbanned

Post by -Nicky- » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:06 pm

yes actually they had to put brand new brakes on my car to even sell it to me.
-Nicole-

03blackrt
2GN Member

Post by 03blackrt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:41 pm

then they must not have adjusted them very well. should be an easy fix.

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:48 am

Washing your car won't hurt the brakes. It's no worse than driving through a heavy downpour or through a really big puddle.

I have to agree that it sounds like the friction material separated from the shoe and got wedged up. Not likely that a bearing would go that fast, although it is possible. Then again, not as likely for a brand new shoe to go that fast either if they did indeed change them.

Anywho, I'd imagine the dealer is picking up the cost. If they try and blame it on the wash ask them what about rain or a big puddle.

Matt
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:37 am

brakes out of adjustment. the wheel cylinder could be siezed. contamination can cause that, maybe a leaking seal or something. hard to tell. did u apply the brakes or did they lock up on their own?
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

-Nicky-
Recently Unbanned

Post by -Nicky- » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:39 am

no i am not picking up the cost, my car is still under warrenty and if they even dare try to blame it on something i did, i will fight it hard, im so pissed already that they've had my car since saturday and it's now tuesday..granted they couldnt even work on it til monday but still that's 4 days without a car.

I didn't apply any brakes, it just locked up as soon as I tried to leave my driveway
-Nicole-

atom
2GN Member

Post by atom » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:02 am

1-800-my-lemon

scneonchic
2GN Veteran

Post by scneonchic » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:51 pm

mine did that once...but never again.

-Nicky-
Recently Unbanned

Post by -Nicky- » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:23 pm

So I got my car back from the shop today..turns out they had to remove and replace the rear brake pads and cut the drums

hopefully that wont ever happen again...aye!
-Nicole-

Canada
Junior Admin

Post by Canada » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:51 pm

That sucks. At least you have it back now, and its fixed properly. 8)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:45 am

I was gonna say, did you check the park brake... :lol:?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

-Nicky-
Recently Unbanned

Post by -Nicky- » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:20 am

yeah it wasnt anything i did...i never use the E-Brake or anything it just happen, freaky
-Nicole-

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:37 am

glad it's fixed!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

Canada
Junior Admin

Post by Canada » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:48 pm

You should probably use the E-brake every once in a while Nicole, that way it keeps everything unseized and movable...

greeneyes1679
n00b

Re: Rear Driver's Wheel Locked Up On Me

Post by greeneyes1679 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:40 pm

](*,) ok so I had this same problem. I was driving, just took off from a stop light and my drivers side rear wheel locked up. I had it towed home where i could try and fix it. Let me mention that a couple months ago, same thing happened but it was when I was trying to back out of my driveway. After messing with it a little, it popped out and worked. It locked one other time and I just pulled the e brake and it unlocked. No problems until this mess. After hours upon fricken hours of researching, I have come to conclude that I need to try and adjust my parking brake. Now...i am no mechanic...but i can read and follow instructions - written or via video. I've probably watched every video there is and CANNOT for the life of me get this. I can adjust the passenger side star wheel using only 1 screw driver but the drivers side WILL NOT budge no matter what I do!!! Please please help me!!

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”