Brake Fluid Flush

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
Flying_NEB
2GN Member

Brake Fluid Flush

Post by Flying_NEB » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:27 am

what's the best way to get all the fluid out? I've bled it dry and there's nothing in the top resivoir. Anything else I need to do?
2004 Black SRT - debadged, no mods

pyro
2GN Member

Post by pyro » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:26 pm

Well, that is not how I would, or did do it. I did it like bleeding my brakes. I wouldn't have bled the reservoir and system 'dry' though. Once you suck air, it's harder to get it all out, but it'll be okay for you, just a little harder.

First pulled all the fluid I could out of the reservoir, with a 2' long clear tube and my mouth(be careful!). I didn't go all the way to the bottom. You can skip this part.

Make sure you can get all the brake bleeders loose, but tighten them back up, then get a friend/wife/kid to help. All they have to do is push the pedal, hold it, then release it when told.
Fill the reservoir with new clean fluid, and start on the back brakes. Put a piece if 1/4" tube(I think that is the size, I used a piece of something I had handy) over the bleeder, and put it down into a jar.
Crack the bleeder, and say 'down', the helper will put the pedal to the floor and hold it. Tighten the bleeder, and say 'up'. Once they have released the pedal, open the bleeder and say 'down'.

Some nasty funky fluid will come out. Repeat this until clean fresh fluid comes out(with no air bubbles). Repeat on the other wheels, making sure to keep the reservoir topped off, and not suck air in the top.
You will have to be careful to get all the air out of the system too, because you took all the fluid out already. If I were you I would do all four wheels, then do them all again for a few pumps, just to be sure.

I put Valvoline Synthetic fluid in my car, I was trying to solve a hot-fading problem, and figured the fluid was boiling. It helped, but didn't completely fix the problem. I might try that Super Blue stuff next time. It is good to do anyway, the discolored fluid in your caliper has absorbed water, and will boil easier, corrode your brake system.

Flying_NEB
2GN Member

Post by Flying_NEB » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:08 am

thanks for the info. I got it all done.

By the way, they upgraded the brake system to a newer model year (not sure which) and you have to have a new brake hose assembly (the part that goes from caliper out). Not fun to figure out the day I was supposed to leave for vacation.
2004 Black SRT - debadged, no mods

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”