STRUT/SPRING COMBO

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
SYRYS04
2GN Member

STRUT/SPRING COMBO

Post by SYRYS04 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:10 pm

So I'm lookin to redo my suspension before I move to cali in a few months so I'm not tryin to spend an arm and a leg. I was thinkin of doin springs now, maybe some eibachs or dropzones more so jus somethin that costs under 200 wit somethin close to a 2inch drop...

NOW

my question is, I'm at 84K mileage, street raced a few times but not a lot, since a couple years back just some regular everyday drivin. So do ya'll think my struts will hold for atleast a good 6-8 months or more so I can save up for some nice struts or maybe a full on coilover suspension?? I'm not too good with the knowledge of how long factory struts last while being semi-stressed with springs. I dont want to break a strut wit 2inch or maybe 1.5inch springs attached to them....

A lil help would be appreciated.. thanks in advance..
THE TRUTH HURTS
LOVE IS PAIN
SO REGARDLESS OF WHAT I'M DOIN
I'M BREAKIN YOUR HEART

-SYRYS-

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Your car might ride like shit for 6-8 months but for coilovers it might just be worth it.
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

DoubtedNeon
2GN Member

Post by DoubtedNeon » Mon May 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Idk IMHO you should just do it right, save up and buy the good stuff
Swordfish2Cowboy wrote:They left a pry bar? Well get the prints like they do on CSI, and track those fuckers down. Then cap them.
grindpunk16 wrote: You and about 2 dozen other folks want that cover. It came with the car, and it's all mine.. :twisted: :bootyshake: \:D/

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:03 pm

DoubtedNeon wrote:Idk IMHO you should just do it right, save up and buy the good stuff
QFT... why the hell would you want to pay twice? Either save up for springs/struts, or coilovers then do it. 4 Tokico HP struts shipped on ebay is like $240. My opinion, Just save your pennies up.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

SYRYS04
2GN Member

Post by SYRYS04 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:
DoubtedNeon wrote:Idk IMHO you should just do it right, save up and buy the good stuff
QFT... why the hell would you want to pay twice? Either save up for springs/struts, or coilovers then do it. 4 Tokico HP struts shipped on ebay is like $240. My opinion, Just save your pennies up.
very true...so its pretty much one or the other huh?!?! Yea...The more I think about it, once my car is at a certain height I wouldnt want to adjust it as some coilovers are adjustable.. So a nice strut/spring combo will be a smooth ride huh??

but aftermarket springs wit factory struts wit all that miles i have, will the struts hold for some months till I get the struts and install them? (84k miles on the dodge)
THE TRUTH HURTS
LOVE IS PAIN
I'M BREAKIN YOUR HEART

-SYRYS-

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Honestly, it sounds like a bad idea. With high mileage they should be replaced some time in the near future anyway. Now you're introducing new shorter, stiffer springs onto a already wearing part that is designed to cushion the ride and hard blows from potholes and such. I can't see how it would really be unsafe to do, it just seems unwise. Why do all the work (or pay to do all the work) twice when you could just wait and do it once. If you pay someone that is going to add up, then you'll have to get it realigned as well.

There is nothing wrong with a spring/strut combo. Everyone always wants you to get coilovers but for a car that is just a daily driver there is no reason a good spring/strut combo won't do what you want it to do. A lot of people like the H&R springs or Progress Technology. It all depends what kind of drop and ride you are looking for.

Mopar00Neon
2GN Member

Post by Mopar00Neon » Tue May 05, 2009 2:44 pm

I love my Mopar springs and Konis.
He is unworthy of the name of man who is ignorant of the fact that the diagonal of a square is incommensurable with its side.

-brian

2007 F-150
2006 Mitsubishi Outlander
2004 F-350
2000 Dodge Neon
1957 Chevy truck
1989 Chevy 1500

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:50 pm

^I don't know what mopar springs you have, but I have a set of the Mopar Performance lowering springs which are first gen ACR springs apparently. When I have money for Tokico HPs they will go on.

Mopar00Neon
2GN Member

Post by Mopar00Neon » Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:^I don't know what mopar springs you have, but I have a set of the Mopar Performance lowering springs which are first gen ACR springs apparently. When I have money for Tokico HPs they will go on.
Thats what Im running. And have been since '01.
He is unworthy of the name of man who is ignorant of the fact that the diagonal of a square is incommensurable with its side.

-brian

2007 F-150
2004 F-350
2000 Dodge Neon
1957 Chevy truck
1989 Chevy 1500

SYRYS04
2GN Member

Post by SYRYS04 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:Honestly, it sounds like a bad idea. With high mileage they should be replaced some time in the near future anyway. Now you're introducing new shorter, stiffer springs onto a already wearing part that is designed to cushion the ride and hard blows from potholes and such. I can't see how it would really be unsafe to do, it just seems unwise. Why do all the work (or pay to do all the work) twice when you could just wait and do it once. If you pay someone that is going to add up, then you'll have to get it realigned as well.

There is nothing wrong with a spring/strut combo. Everyone always wants you to get coilovers but for a car that is just a daily driver there is no reason a good spring/strut combo won't do what you want it to do. A lot of people like the H&R springs or Progress Technology. It all depends what kind of drop and ride you are looking for.
right right, i feel what you sayin man. The high mileage is somethin I'm semi-worried about wit the struts.. So I'll prolly get some springs soon and then get the struts in a couple months and do it all at once. I can do the install myself then I'll take it to a shop and have them align her up so shes even. I'm lookin for a nice drop that feels factory or better but lowered a good 2-2.5" mainly cus I have rims now. I'm runnin a pair of 17's konig further 205/40/17 right now. But i'll prolly sell them cus I'm tired of lookin at them and go with a pair of 18's. then some future ideas are a full bodykit, paint job and all that, other stuff too, engine swap but all thats wayyy later..... right now, i jus need a drop.
THE TRUTH HURTS
LOVE IS PAIN
I'M BREAKIN YOUR HEART

-SYRYS-

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Sounds good man. For a solid 2" drop, that sounds like Eibach Sportlines to me. The ride is pretty stiff from what I understand, and to be expected. I'm not sure what other springs would give a drop like that

SYRYS04
2GN Member

Post by SYRYS04 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:Sounds good man. For a solid 2" drop, that sounds like Eibach Sportlines to me. The ride is pretty stiff from what I understand, and to be expected. I'm not sure what other springs would give a drop like that
sweet..thanks for the info... I'll look into the Eibach Sportlines.. so stiffer than factory? Cus I times I feel as if my factory is pretty stiff, I dont speed over speed bumps or anything but ya know.. Its not exactly cotton soft either, ya feel me.
THE TRUTH HURTS
LOVE IS PAIN
I'M BREAKIN YOUR HEART

-SYRYS-

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue May 05, 2009 9:54 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if your stock struts are already blown, or at least very worn out. Unless you live in an area with very nice roads, those struts are probably on their last leg as it is. I vote save for a proper setup, be it springs or coilovers, and do the job once and right the first time.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 pm

ave for coilovers, you will just want to get them later if you buy springs now. A waste of money imo. If you want to stick with a spring strut combo, i suggest tokico blues or the adjustables for the srt, and any good lowering spring. Aka (anything but sportlines)
ImageImage
[/quote]Yup it definately needs to go lower. If its not scrapeing constantly why you are driving then its not low enough bro. :lol:[/quote]

Mopar00Neon
2GN Member

Post by Mopar00Neon » Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 am

Nothing wrong with struts/springs, as long as you pick a combination that works together, and gives you what you want out of the car.

You'd be hard pressed to convince me to give up my Mopars/Konis for coil overs.

-brian

2007 F-150
2004 F-350
2000 Dodge Neon
1957 Chevy truck
1989 Chevy 1500

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:08 am

struts from best to worst

Koni
acr
tokico white adjustables
tokico blues
kyb's
stock
ImageImage
[/quote]Yup it definately needs to go lower. If its not scrapeing constantly why you are driving then its not low enough bro. :lol:[/quote]

Dylan-00Blue
2GN Member

Post by Dylan-00Blue » Wed May 06, 2009 10:26 am

i have nopi number1 springs made by neuspeed 2 in drop for 120cdn

SYRYS04
2GN Member

Post by SYRYS04 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Hey OB, i see your in sacramento how far is san mateo from you?? I'll be there next month sometime.. But to answer your post, the struts are still good thats why I'm thinkin I can still work with them with a good pair of springs but like most of everybody in this post is sayin and what I'm thinkin I mind as well put in the "springs and struts" all at once to save time and effort of removing everything.
THE TRUTH HURTS
LOVE IS PAIN
I'M BREAKIN YOUR HEART

-SYRYS-

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”