SRT4 suspension on 2gn

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
Octagon
2GN Member

SRT4 suspension on 2gn

Post by Octagon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:43 pm

I am looking for anyone that has put SRT4 springs on 2gn struts on their 2gn. I would like to see pics if possible for the ride height as well as any measurements before and after. I have heard that it raises the front higher then stock. I also am curious what the ride is like since the springs are stiffer and the front of the 2gn is lighter then an SRT4. Any info or first hand experience is appreciated.
02 R/T

03wingswestR/T
2GN Member

Post by 03wingswestR/T » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:52 pm

i thought i read that its around a 1 inch drop and rides great... i have some for sale....

Maddog
2GN Member

Post by Maddog » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Front SRT4 stock springs are a slightly higher rate, so your front will look a bit "lifted". Rear will most likely look stock.
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

(sorry, no link on banner)

Complete Short Throw Shifters sold here! Custom work available!
PM or email aclnes55@yahoo.com for more information.

Octagon
2GN Member

Post by Octagon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:16 pm

I have a set but have read both sides as you guys posted. Some say it is a slight drop front and rear others say its a drop in the rear a lift in the front and yet others say its no drop. I would like to see pics or if someone measured their 2gn before and after for ride height. The rate is like 175 front for SRT4 and 150 front for R/T ACR so spring rate isn't a concern for me for ride quality. I have Eibach Pro kit springs on Tokicos now and they are too low and too soft.
02 R/T

SlvrACR
2GN Member

Post by SlvrACR » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:00 pm

My ACR

Bros RT

Both on SRT springs. Nice drop in rear same in front. Alot better feeling ride
2gn Member Feedback
My Project Log
01 Dodge ACR - SOLD
01 Dodge RT - 279whp 329wtq

Mat00ES
2GN Member

Post by Mat00ES » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:53 am

I have srt sturts, with lowering springs. My car sits higher then and srt sits with the same setup.
Dirty Daily Status
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000011

04R/T
2GN Member

Post by 04R/T » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:11 am

SRT rears on mine and it dropped about an inch. Didn't do the fronts since they don't do anything.

SlvrACR
2GN Member

Post by SlvrACR » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:28 am

04R/T wrote:SRT rears on mine and it dropped about an inch. Didn't do the fronts since they don't do anything.
They have a better spring rate in front
2gn Member Feedback
My Project Log
01 Dodge ACR - SOLD

Maddog
2GN Member

Post by Maddog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:33 am

SlvrACR, you must give me your hood... :D

So, what we're seeing is a slight drop in the rear, and the front stays the same? How's the handling with the "heavier" springs up front?
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

SlvrACR
2GN Member

Post by SlvrACR » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Which one my SRT or my bros invader? I sold my ACR i only have the black RT. Ya slight drop in rear front stayed same. The overall spring rate increased. It drives much more sporty. Less roll but not bouncy at all. Deff a good upgrade if you dont want lowering springs
2gn Member Feedback
My Project Log
01 Dodge ACR - SOLD

04R/T
2GN Member

Post by 04R/T » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:14 pm

SlvrACR wrote:
04R/T wrote:SRT rears on mine and it dropped about an inch. Didn't do the fronts since they don't do anything.
They have a better spring rate in front
I meant as far as dropping the front.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:07 am

This topic has been covered several times, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway. According to the manufacturer, the SRT-4 is 10mm lower front and rear than a standard Neon. That's a little under 1/2". This only applies when talking about a complete stock SRT-4 suspension. The struts have taller perches, which means the springs are shorter than those of a stock Neon. So in theory, the SRT springs are shortened to accommodate the perches, and then shortened even further for the claimed 10mm drop. How much they lower a non-SRT would depend on what combination of components were used. If you bolted the suspension on, part for part, you should see a 10mm drop from the frame to the ground. This assumes the springs/struts are in good working condition, of course.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Octagon
2GN Member

Post by Octagon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:53 pm

I understand the spec differences but no one has posted any before and after measurements and because the SRT4 has more weight on the front end due to the 2.4 Turbo and heavier transmission the amount of compression of the SRT4 springs was designed in where the lighter Neon front end may not compress the now stiffer ( more then 10% stiffer) front springs so ride height may not be as simple as 10mm difference between spring perches.

I did a search and looked at what pics were still available as well as those nice enough to post their cars with SRT4 springs on regular 2gn struts. It looks like stock or a little lower but none look higher yet.

My probalem is that I have Eibach pro kit springs on Tokicos now so even though I have SRT4 springs and now ACR/R/T springs the only way to get stock and SRT4 ride height measurements requires two full spring swaps and then if the last set put on is not the height I need I end up doing 3 full spring swaps. This is something I am trying to avoid.

I read quite a few posts where Eibach Pro kit springs were hailed as being one of the best non coil over options. These springs are way too low and too soft for any serious use without getting into the bump stops. After the search and reading are considered with first hand experience I want to get as much info as possible before changing springs.
02 R/T

Maddog
2GN Member

Post by Maddog » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:01 pm

SlvrACR wrote:Which one my SRT or my bros invader? I sold my ACR i only have the black RT. Ya slight drop in rear front stayed same. The overall spring rate increased. It drives much more sporty. Less roll but not bouncy at all. Deff a good upgrade if you dont want lowering springs
I want your Silver SRT hood... :D

/threadjack
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm

I see what you mean about how the weight difference could affect the front end though. I would bet it's good for 5mm or so, give or take. So in theory the front end of a Neon should come up a bit.

As far as the springs go, the Eibach Pro Kit are considered to be high in quality and excellent for someone's first spring set, but never have I seen them considered competitive in relation to the others available. They're entry level springs that happen to ride and perform decently, nothing more. I started on them, and then upgraded to TEIN's to get some more spring rate and flatten out the car when cornering. Their rates are significantly higher than those of the Pro Kit. Handling is excellent; the TEINs complement the rest of my setup pretty well.

Bottom line is, what are you looking for? Low/hi drop? Stiff/soft? Cheap/expensive?
-Derek

Octagon
2GN Member

Post by Octagon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:53 pm

I had Eibach pro kit springs on a Focus and they weren't nearly as low or soft as these are, Granted the Focus has more suspension travel but I didn't expect them to be on the bumpstops all the time the suspension moves in bump travel.

The car will be used for trackdays as its primary purpose with some occasional autocrosses but being competitive in autocross in the class that I would be in with the mods I have or will have for trackdays is foolishly out of the question so I just want it balanced,fun,responsive and reasonable enough to drive on piss poor Michigan roads to and from track events which are generally 2+ hours away. Having a lower Cg is prefered but only as it improves handling and camber curves without killing suspension travel. That seems like a lot to ask for springs and struts for a 2gn but I don't want to spend the money coil-overs demand.

Tokico Hps and KYBs are pretty mild for damping any substantial spring rate so a taller spring is needed to keep travel and stay off the bumpstops. That leaves SRT4 springs and stock for the most part unless there is a spring set that drops the car 3/4" or less MAXIMUM and has rates below 190lb/in front and 140 lb/in rear. ARe there springs available that fall within these specs ? I haven't found any but am new to 2gns.
02 R/T

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:03 pm

I believe there are some Mopar springs out there that only drop about 1", but I'm not positive. Stock SRT suspension and track days shouldn't be in the same sentence :) You won't even stand a chance on soft stock stuff. Coilovers are the only real answer to your needs (and mine).
-Derek

Octagon
2GN Member

Post by Octagon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:54 pm

OB wrote:I believe there are some Mopar springs out there that only drop about 1", but I'm not positive. Stock SRT suspension and track days shouldn't be in the same sentence :) You won't even stand a chance on soft stock stuff. Coilovers are the only real answer to your needs (and mine).
Are you possibly thinking of the Mopar Stage 1 springs ? They have the same rate as the SRT4 but are lower so a possible consideration.

I can't agree with your assessment of stock suspension. I won't argue that coil-overs are the best choice but I have driven plenty of stock suspended cars on track and haven't had any problems keeping up or setting good lap times. I'm getting close to 100 track events and probably 75% were in cars with totally stock suspension or just a rear swaybar and alignment at most. 3 different Focuses,02 WRX sedan, 05 Saab92X, 99 10AE Miata, 1st gen Neon that I owned as well as 06Sti, Saab 9-3 and 9000, BMW 1 series that were friends cars I drove for more then a few laps. That covers FWD,RWD and AWD in econobox to sportscar. The OEM engineers and vehicle dynamics guys know their stuff and do a good job keeping things working well together even at the limit on track and I would rather have a softly sprung balanced car with body roll and a higher Cg then an aftermarket ruined "tuned" car that has mis matched parts or parts designed to sell for looks over function.

Not trying to get on a soapbox but two good friends are Vehicle Dynamics engineers that are racers and great guys who work really hard to get things right. One worked for Ford and the other for Chrysler so I'm sure GM has or had good guys as well. It was a shame John Heinricy retired.
02 R/T

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 pm

I was partially joking about the stock suspension thing. Of course I've heard of stock cars doing well on track; but if you're racing as much as you say you do, why on earth would you want to run bone stock vehicles? Seems like it would be frustrating for someone with experience.
-Derek

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 pm

There are 2 mopar branded springs:
neon stg1s: Rebranded 1gn acr springs completely useless

SRT stg1s: 25mm drop best estimate of spring rate is high 200s front and mid 200s rear

I couldnt compress the fronts by standing on them and the rears only went about 1"

Octagon
2GN Member

Post by Octagon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:24 pm

OB wrote:I was partially joking about the stock suspension thing. Of course I've heard of stock cars doing well on track; but if you're racing as much as you say you do, why on earth would you want to run bone stock vehicles? Seems like it would be frustrating for someone with experience.
It is not so much that I "want" to run a bone stock car as they can be frustrating ( 99.5 Jetta and 95 Talon Tsi AWD ) it is more that finding reasonably priced properly engineered suspension parts that work properly together is not always easy.

The Miata Focus ST and Focus SVT have excellent stock suspensions and brakes that are well balanced and more capable then most drivers that start changing them. A good alignment and tires and if it understeers still a decent rear swaybar and the car is usually all I can hope for a in a street and track car that isn't harsh or unreliable and needing constant attention.

I ran a 1st gen Spec Neon and drove it to and from the track for several events before I started trailering it and I would rather deal with some of the compromises stock or nearly stock cars offer then swap tires/wheel,brake pads and adjust suspension if I ran a more modified car or pay for a truck,trailer and all the extra fuel as well as the hassle of loading and unloading if towing.

That's me and I don't expect it to be the same for everyone nor would I put down anyone who just wants looks or is happy with their car stock to heavily modified. The best feeling to me is to pass a car that is more modified and/or should be faster and costs more in a stock or lightly modified car.
02 R/T

danman132x
2GN Member

Post by danman132x » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Resurrecting an old post, but I just put SRT springs on my R/T, and I'm slightly disappointed. I was hoping of more of a drop. My fronts did not drop at all, and might even be 1/2 inch higher, and my rear dropped just a small amount. I did go driving some, and I do have to say the ride feels much better though.
2003 Dodge Neon R/T

http://myspace.com/danman132x

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:08 pm

If you'd read any one of the multiple posts around here regarding people who've swapped to SRT springs, you would have known not to expect much of a drop. Most people claim between 1/4" - 1/2", which is hardly noticeable. It takes at least an inch or so to make a solid difference visually. The spring rates are slightly higher, which should make for a very minor change in handling and balance. I'd say the SRT spring swap is all but worthless from both a performance and cosmetic standpoint.
-Derek

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:35 pm

If you wanted a drop why didn't you buy lowering springs??
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”