mopar coilovers

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
OB
Former Moderator

mopar coilovers

Post by OB » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:55 am

im looking into getting some Mopar coilovers for my neon. the stage 2 kit is like 1200 on MPX and the stage 3 is 1500. Im looking to get the best ones for street use, that provide the best ride quality as well as full adjustability. I plan to lower the car about 2 inches, maybe a tad more in the back than in the front, so as to balance things a bit. Im runnin stock wheels+tires for now. would the stage 3 be my better bet since they have adjustable dampening? would that allow for a smoother ride? MPX said the stage 3 is better for ride quality because i can have everything adjusted exactly the way i want it. any ideas?

also, does anyone know if the mopar coils would allow me to retain my warranty on the new suspension? i heard that all mopar parts are covered under the existing warranty.

money isnt an issue but this IS quite an investment. i plan on using my car as a 99% daily driver, and i want better handling, reliability, and lowered height. the adjustability is a plus too. I was originally gonna go with top of the line springs and struts, but for about 500 bucks more i can get full coils, AND a shot a keeping the warranty. please tell me anything u know. personal experience would be awesome, i plan on doing this in the next couple of months, i need to save $$. thanks guys!
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:18 pm

Don't be cheap get the Stage 3's.

They don't carry a warrenty from Dodge. The warrenty for the Stg. 3's is from KW, as long as the bump stops are left in place.

I belive Jason has the Stage 2's, oh my bad Variant 2's. Talk to him.
Justin- I have nothing but smart ass remarks to add.
:-s
Fire_Hippo wrote:Frizbe, you rock my socks.
- Jeff's girlfriend

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:28 pm

I have the Variant 1 coils which are ALMOST the same as the Mopar S2 coils. My opinion, I wouldn't go with the Mopar branded coils, instead I would get them with the real KW name so they don't have the stop rings on them.

Give ModernPerformance a call and see if they're still able to order the KW coils from KW. Last I heard from KW a couple months back the KW and Mopar sales agreement contract was over so KW can sell the Neon coils in their own name KW again.

Overall... the coils are worth every penney!
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:37 pm

Diablo0 wrote:Give ModernPerformance a call and see if they're still able to order the KW coils from KW. Last I heard from KW a couple months back the KW and Mopar sales agreement contract was over so KW can sell the Neon coils in their own name KW again.
I've heard that also, and that they will be cheaper without that damn "M" on them. :lol:
Last edited by Frizbe on Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff's girlfriend

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:40 pm

You mean without that damn M on them?

Plus they wont' have the stop rings which if you cut off to lower it more voids the warranty of them. The KW coils don't have that.
-Jason
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Diablo0 wrote:You mean without that damn M on them?
Yeah so what? :lol:
Edited post.
- Jeff's girlfriend

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:52 am

any feedback on ride quality/streetability would be great. ill look into it. thanks
-Derek

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:57 am

Ride quality is very good, not bouncy but it's a sport suspension so it will be stiffer than your current setup. Far from to stiff that it makes the car unable to drive on the streets b/c of comfort. If you want to control it a little more get the KW V2 coils so you can adjust them from hard to soft so if you're gonna autox you can stiffen them up then on the way home or if you've got kids, wife, GF in the car you can tone it down some so she doesn't get pissy and bitch the whole time she's in the car.
-Jason

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:21 pm

is there any way you could hook me up with a link to the coilovers youre talking about? also, what else should i know before doing full coilovers? do i need any other accessories? ive heard from my buddy whos an experience and successful autox-er that every time you change ride height on coils u have to have your wheels re alligned. does that apply for adjustments to other parts of the coilovers as well, such as camber and damper? what are the specs on the KW's? thanks so much
-Derek

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:11 pm

www.kwsuspensions.com

He is correct, every time you change your ride height you should get another alignment since lowering the car affects your camber... too much camber creates uneven tire wear. If all you're doing is changing the damper then don't need to get an alignment.

You really don't need much more but do invest in some larger sway bars. Since you have an SXT I'd highly recommend picking up a rear swaybar since you don't have one stock.
-Jason

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:14 am

oh yeah absolutely, i was planning on going with srt front and rear sways, since theyre cheap and i can get em easy.. maybe ill upgrade later. thanks
-Derek

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:22 pm

Actually... don't even bother with the SRT. Go with the GT Cruiser front bar (26MM) and the R/T rear bar (19MM). The SRT bars are only 24MM (front), 17MM (rear). Thats the cheapest best combination out there since each bar is only like $50 from the dealer.
-Jason

60trim
2GN Member

Post by 60trim » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:28 pm

Technical Innovations or TEIN makes a good set up for our car. The Super Street Damper System is, IMO, the best out there next to the KW setups. I'm currently saving up for it. Only 1400 shipped.
2003 Silver SXT - Totalled
2005 Silver Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Turbo -Daily
1990 White SR powered 240sx - My sliding slut.

I miss my neon at times. She treated me well and taught me a lot about cars in general. I will always have a special place in my heart for these cars. Heres to the 2gn community.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:27 am

tein makes coils for neons/srts? thats awesome i had no idea. thats a really good company with lots a race proven parts. have any more info on them or maybe a link please? dang this choice gets harder every day.

ps does tein offer the edfc controller option with the coils they offer for the neon? now THAT would own.
-Derek

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:56 am

ok ive realized that all these coilover options are starting to overwhelm me, and i want to narrow things down a bit. heres what i want in my suspension, in order from most important to least:

1 Reliability/safety/QUALITY
2 Comfort/Streetability
3 Handling/performance
4 height adjustability
5 affordable price
6 other features
7 track ready

as you can see, im not a track racer, but i DO want to have the ability to take this car anywhere and hang with performance cars. im much more interested in having a car thats simply fun to drive on the streets, and handles superb. I obviously want to lower the car a bit, but having options in ride height is very appealing, considering i might change my mind on how low i want it.

having read the above, can anyone tell me exactly what im looking for, where i can BUY it, and as much info as they can regarding road experience and reliability? Mopar/KW/TEIN, im just not sure what i need and i sure as heck dont want a bunch of features ill never use, but i DO want this to be the last set of coils i buy, and i need something that will last me and get the job done 100%. im willing to pay for the product testing and development that makes these products so expensive, and i want a company that will support and back its suspension.

thanks very much
-Derek

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:58 am

Still gonna have to recommend the KWs.

1 Reliability/safety/QUALITY - Had mine for over 2 years now with only one problem that KW resolved with no questions asked. On the lower adjustable spring perch the set screw locked up so I couldn't adjust. After KW sent me new perches 100% free of charge I cut them off and put the better designed perchs on and since they have had no problems. They coils are also made of INOX stainless steel and with a damp paper towel all I have to do is whipe them down and they look like they just came out of the box. Plain steel and anodized aluminum can rust or corrode making it very hard or impossible to adjust if they haven't been adjusted in a long time. One of the big reasons why I choose KW over the others when I bought mine... I didn't want to run into any problems later on down the road.

2 Comfort/Streetability - They KWs (not the Mopars) have a Progressive spring in the front which helps with the bumps of the road. Do a search on google about progressive springs... i'd explain but I'm at work and don't have the time right now haha

3 Handling/performance - Right now with my suspension setup (upgraded swaybars, bushings, ect) I run about .95 G... and thats with my alignment totally screwed up...With some tuning I think I could pull over 1G

4 height adjustability - They're height adjustable, the only thing I wish they had is the adjustability like the IPP coils have. On the IPP coils you can adjust the spring rate sepreate from the height. So if you are getting the car corner weighted they are able to easily adjust them to get the weight balanced by adjusting the springs them you can adjust the height seperately without affecting the balance much. Only thing I heard that you might not like is that the IPP coils are very stiff and some say a little too stiff for daily driving.

5 affordable price - Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either... around 1100 for the V1 coils, V2 coils go for around 1300-1500... 2500 if you go with the V3 coils

6 other features - V1 coils are just height adjustable... thats it. V2 are height and damper adjustable... V3 are height, rebound, and damper adjustable. I wish they did have a little more adjustability but I'm satisfied with them.

7 track ready - Yup... They'll handle it. If you get them just make sure you pickup the Mopar Tension Strut package since some on SRTforums have reported that the brackets on the rear struts have bent under hard braking due to rear wheel hop. The Mopar Tension strut packing solves that and is only $50
-Jason

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:32 pm

great thanks very much for the insight. im familiar with progressive springs but i would like to know a lot more about them. so the v1 would be a good way to go then? where can i get them? their site didnt sell them, and had very little info/pics.
-Derek

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”