wheel spacers???

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
inthewerks
2GN Member

wheel spacers???

Post by inthewerks » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 am

Hey all. So.... I was washing and waxing my baby today, and I noticed something I don't like. The rear wheels tuck a little into the body, (which is nice), but the seem like they are seated further inside the wheel well than the fronts are. My question is, what size spacer can I get to push the rear wheels out a little without having to roll the fenders, and do I need to get longer wheel studs to add the spacers. If measurements for my current setup are needed, feel free to ask for them. I would post measurements but not sure which ones would be needed so I will provide upon request. Thanks in advance.
Wheel gap? Never heard of it.

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:07 pm

You will want to find a 5x100 bolt pattern in one of the three following:

3mm Hubcentric - No extended studs required (but always advised for safety).

5mm Hubcentric - Can technically be done w/o ext. studs but not recommended

10mm Hubcentric - Require ext. studs but will push your wheels out a lot.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Also, out of curiosity, what are the offsets of your front, and what are the offsets of your rear wheels? You can find these on the inside of the wheel (aka backside). Are your wheels all the same offset, or different? Stock/OEM or aftermarket?
- Ben -

'03 Silver Neon SXT 2.0 SOHC w/ some stuff
Charlotte's Progress Log

inthewerks
2GN Member

Post by inthewerks » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Sorry didnt look before the install. They are factory srt wheels.
And thx for the help. Looks like maybe go the 5mm for the rear only and get the extended studs once I determine if it will look ok with those spacers on there.
Wheel gap? Never heard of it.

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:29 pm

OEM SRT wheels are 17 x 6 +45 offset. I have the same wheels on my SXT - rear drum setup. My rear wheels do not "tuck" into the wheel well anymore than my front ones do...when was your last 4 wheel alignment? Possibly your toe-in/out or camber are set different than stock? D'you have your alignment results?

5mm would get you flushed with the fenders but I strongly recommended the ext. studs if you are going to actually drive with the spacers on (possibly test fit the 5mm, if you don't like, discard. If you like, take the spacers back off, put the rear wheels back on, order ext. studs, and re-install once the studs deliver.
Also, for the best balance on the hub, ensure that you order hubcentric so you don't have to play a huge balancing act re-installing the wheels to the hub over top of the spacers. G'luck! :thumbup:

Wanted to add: The rule of thumb to determine if extended wheel studs are needed is if you can not get your lug nuts to turn a minimum of 6 full rotations. 8 full rotations are ideal.
- Ben -

'03 Silver Neon SXT 2.0 SOHC w/ some stuff
Charlotte's Progress Log

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”