free lowering springs

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
nicksdad06
2GN Member

free lowering springs

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Hey guys used the search button and can't find my answer.. well I got some srt lowering springs can I put them on my stock neon struts?
dodge neon
Also known as a Piece-o-Shit, this car has to be the worst car ever made. Although it may look cool and have a great name, this car has many defects. Everything from gaping holes in the back floor panel, to missing interior, from failing clutches, to having the clear coat applied before the paint, this car takes the cake as the worlds worst idea of a car.

C1DoG
2GN Member

Post by C1DoG » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:17 pm

They should fit.
Drove my neon until it was killed in a flood.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:36 pm

yes, they will work and will lower the car about a half inch, iirc
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm

So stock srt springs will lower car 1/2 inch so 1.75 lowering springs should do atleast 2" then right
dodge neon
Also known as a Piece-o-Shit, this car has to be the worst car ever made. Although it may look cool and have a great name, this car has many defects. Everything from gaping holes in the back floor panel, to missing interior, from failing clutches, to having the clear coat applied before the paint, this car takes the cake as the worlds worst idea of a car.

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Not exactly. The SRT-4 has a higher spring perch than a stock R/T, SXT, SE Neon due to their 205/50/17 wheel size (one of the only approved tire sizes for a 6" wide wheel).

Therefore, the springs themselves are about a 1/2" shorter (from the spring perch to the strut mount) than the other trim Neon's, so when you install the SRT springs onto a non-SRT Neon, you usually get about a 1/2" drop.

If the 1.75" lowering springs (which I am unaware of any brand out right now which gives you a 1.75" drop, in the Front or Rear) are designed for a non-SRT Neon, then that is what it would give you - a 1.75" drop.

Most brands (H&R, Stein, Megan Racing, etc.) will give you a -1.5/-1.5", -1.5/-1.4", -1.7/-1.6" (H&R Limited Edition which are discontinued) or a -2.0/-1.9" drop (Megan Racing). (Front/Rear)

This is my 2003 SXT on Tokico struts + Megan Racing springs (-2.0/-1.9").

However, Megan Racing also makes a -1.5/-1.5" for the 00-05 Dodge Neon as well.
- Ben -

'03 Silver Neon SXT 2.0 SOHC w/ some stuff
Charlotte's Progress Log

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Yeah I got 1.75 drop springs from road magnet for the srt4
dodge neon

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:20 pm

You are right - they are rated 1.75. To be honest, I have never heard of this company so I can not tell you how well they are engineered, or how long they will last. I'm not sure exactly what kind of drop you will get, but either way - it's going to be low lol

I'm actually selling my Megan's as I just bought a pair of the very hard to find H&R Limited Editions off of Ryan (-1.7 Front / -1.6 Rear) - to me that is the perfect drop for a functional Neon.

Right now, Charlotte is sitting so low, her doors don't even clear most curbs! It's rather annoying lol But best of luck to you bud! :thumbup:
- Ben -

Charlotte's Progress Log

cgneon
2GN Member

Post by cgneon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:25 pm

wheres my free lowering springs... i feel cheated.. ;)
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000082

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks for the info
dodge neon

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:07 pm

nicksdad06 wrote:Thanks for the info
Glad to help bud :)
- Ben -

Charlotte's Progress Log

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

03SXTGUY wrote:Not exactly. The SRT-4 has a higher spring perch than a stock R/T, SXT, SE Neon due to their 205/50/17 wheel size (one of the only approved tire sizes for a 6" wide wheel).

Therefore, the springs themselves are about a 1/2" shorter (from the spring perch to the strut mount) than the other trim Neon's, so when you install the SRT springs onto a non-SRT Neon, you usually get about a 1/2" drop.

If the 1.75" lowering springs (which I am unaware of any brand out right now which gives you a 1.75" drop, in the Front or Rear) are designed for a non-SRT Neon, then that is what it would give you - a 1.75" drop.
Keep in mind, the SRT has a lower ride height than a standard Neon. This would lead one to assume that the SRT springs would not only be slightly shorter to accommodate the taller struts, but even shorter yet to gain the 10mm claimed drop in ride height. I think this is what the OP is referring to. Spring rate has also been argued as a factor in the effective drop of an SRT spring on a Neon strut; many people say the total drop is less than 1/2", which is almost unnoticeable. Though this doesn't all seem to add up, that's the info I've seen throughout the years.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:41 pm

OB wrote:
Keep in mind, the SRT has a lower ride height than a standard Neon. This would lead one to assume that the SRT springs would not only be slightly shorter to accommodate the taller struts, but even shorter yet to gain the 10mm claimed drop in ride height. I think this is what the OP is referring to. Spring rate has also been argued as a factor in the effective drop of an SRT spring on a Neon strut; many people say the total drop is less than 1/2", which is almost unnoticeable. Though this doesn't all seem to add up, that's the info I've seen throughout the years.
Very true Derek...I'd think it's safe to assume that between the spring perch height difference & the 10mm drop the SRT has over a non-SRT, that the OEM SRT springs stand around an inch (25.4mm) shorter than that of a non-SRT spring.

I did look up the Road Magnet springs and it is said to give the SRT-4 a 1.75" drop. However, they do not specify if this is for Front only, Rear only, or both. But IF these road magnet's stand as tall as the SRT-4 springs, then yes, I would say expect around a 2" drop on a non-SRT
- Ben -

Charlotte's Progress Log

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:45 pm

^Seems to coincide with the general consensus. I wish someone with an SRT would break out the tape measure and set all these questions straight.

Anyone have some SRT springs and struts laying around? I have stock SXT ones laying around to compare to.
Last edited by OB on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Derek

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 pm

well i just got done putting the front springs on and oh gosh do i love the look of the drop so far!!!!! will get some shots tomorrow when i finish up the back. oh and one question as i was doing the drivers side my axle popped out am i safe to drive on it until this weekend when i can either get one from jy or buy a new one. and on that note not much grease came out cause i noticed it come out and i hurried up and shoved it back on!!!!
dodge neon

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 pm

What do you mean it popped out? Out of the trans? Or out of the hub?
-Derek

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 pm

out of the hub!
dodge neon

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:00 pm

OEM SXT SPRINGS

HEIGHT

Front: 14.75" / 374.65 mm
Rear: 14.0" / 355.6 mm

WIDTH (at widest base)

Front: 6.75" / 171.45 mm
Rear: 7.0" / 177.8 mm

Now if someone could do the same measurements on SRT springs, we'll be golden for a sticky that will answer so many questions for users! :thumbup:
Last edited by 03SXTGUY on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Ben -

Charlotte's Progress Log

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:14 pm

well when i shoved it back in and finished the strut the axle was pushed in pretty far and seemed pretty stable and stiff in there so i might try to drive cause i gotta go to work
dodge neon

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 pm

nicksdad06 wrote:well when i shoved it back in and finished the strut the axle was pushed in pretty far and seemed pretty stable and stiff in there so i might try to drive cause i gotta go to work
:pat on shoulder: Do what you have to do brother. Just be careful & safe.
- Ben -

Charlotte's Progress Log

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Nicksdad - The axle is secured to the hub via a 32mm nut and retaining clip with cotter pin. If it came out then it either broke or the nut somehow backed off. I must be confused about what you're trying to say exactly, because neither of the above have any reason to happen during a spring install. Take a picture?
-Derek

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:20 pm

well cant take a pic right now. what happened was the inner boot and the axle came out the hub where the axle connects to the transmission.
dodge neon

steamer1227
2GN Member

Post by steamer1227 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:25 am

Sounds like u pulled the driveshaft apart from the "spindle" part of the driveshaft. If that what u did I would be real careful cuz you don't want that to separate while driving. If it popped out of the tranny all together and trans fluid cam out then I'm not sure how u did that but if you put her back in u should be ok.

-STEPHEN- <HOW TO> <FEEDBACK>

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:05 pm

No its pouring down rain here so its a no go for the springs today guess ill be riding to work tomorrow with just the fronts done or hopefully it stops raining later
dodge neon

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:56 am

I should be removing my Mopar springs in the next couple of weeks. While they aren't OEM, they're only a 24mm drop so once I get those off I'd be glad to measure them.

vntned
2GN Member

Post by vntned » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:39 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:I should be removing my Mopar springs in the next couple of weeks. While they aren't OEM, they're only a 24mm drop so once I get those off I'd be glad to measure them.
Wanna sell those MP drop springs???

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm still thoroughly confused about the whole axle popping out deal!
-Derek

zhneon
2GN Member

Post by zhneon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:50 am

I put srt springs side by side with sxt ones once, and they were definitely shorter by a bit. I didn't measure them though I should have. The drop is unnoticeable so idk if the springs would drop that much more than advertised
-Zack
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #101

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm actually keeping the springs for my boyfriends car. :) I couldn't part with them I'd be angry at myself.

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:03 pm

I finally pulled the axle out of the trans housing put new one in and finished my install the drop is very low more then what I thought will get pics tomorrow during work
dodge neon

gtownv6
2GN Member

Post by gtownv6 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:19 am

I have some srt springs ill measure tomorrow and op did the axle separate at the boot? or did the shaft slide out of the trans axle? and did grease come out or was it fluid?

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”