Front wheel bearing question

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
Maddog
2GN Member

Front wheel bearing question

Post by Maddog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:19 am

Can I run '03+ front wheel bearings in my '01, without changing any other parts for them to fit (axels, knuckles, etc)?
Please let me know by email or PM - I would like to upgrade to the larger bearing, if possible, w/out added expense.

I did search, but couldn't find anything on the subject... :(

chuck@maddogsts.com
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

(sorry, no link on banner)

Complete Short Throw Shifters sold here! Custom work available!
PM or email aclnes55@yahoo.com for more information.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:39 am

Oh yes, it's been covered. Quite a bit lately too.

viewtopic.php?t=59386&highlight=wheel+bearing.

That thread has a lot of good info in it.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:52 pm

The thing that thread doesn't mention, is IIRC, the outer axle stub is a bit longer in the splines to accommodate the wider bearings on the R/T and '03 up You may need to swap halfshafts too. If the "skinny" bearing stub is in the wide bearing, it may put too much stress on the bearing when torqued to spec. as it won't have the shoulder far enough outward.

EdiT:
ACR MAN wrote:The 2001 Magnum cars (ACR & R/T) used the same part number CV axle asemblies as the 2001 PT Cruiser automatic. They were stronger than the "regular" 2nd gen neon CV axle assemblies. The 2000-01 wheel bearing is the same width as the 1st gen bearing (and fits the 1st gen knuckle), but the inner race has a larger bore to fit the larger hub.

The parts situation gets a bit odd in the 2002 model year. The PT automatic does not use the same CV axle assemblies as the Magnum Neons, and to make things more confusing they made major changes early in the 2002 model year. The very early 2002 neons used the same front hubs and 33 mm wide bearings as the 2001 neons, but just a couple of months into 2002 model year production (probably August or Sept of 2001) they widened the hub to match the new 39 mm bearing. The stub on the outer CV joint was modified to accomodate this change, so the part number of the CV axle assembly had to change. The parts catalog shows two different front hub and front wheel bearing part numbers because of this, and you need to measure the width of the bearing on the 2002 car in order to figure out which part number you need. This bearing & hub width change was done to commonize knuckle and hub machining processes between the PT Turbo and the non-turbo PT and PL.

So on your 2002 car, you need to first figure out if you have the "early" or "late" bearing width. Then buy your axle. An equivalent PT Cruiser automatic w/ABS axle will interchange. If you run an inquiry on car-part.com for a 2002 ACR drive axle, it will probably pull up some 2002+ PT Cruiser axles along with some neon drive axles.
viewtopic.php?t=17448&highlight=bearing+axle+stub
Last edited by occasional demons on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Yep, it says that too...
ACR MAN wrote:Two issues with that swap:

* The outer CV stub is longer on the later 2002-05 axles compared with the 2000-early 2002 axles, to match the increased width of the bearing and hub.

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Pete and repeat were in a boat. Pete jumpped out. Who was left :rofl:
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

Maddog
2GN Member

Post by Maddog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 pm

So, in a nut shell, if I want to run the '03+ bearings, I should upgrade to the longer stub halfshafts, correct?
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 pm

hansken_yo wrote:Pete and repeat were in a boat. Pete jumpped out. Who was left :rofl:
Jason?
-John

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Maddog wrote:So, in a nut shell, if I want to run the '03+ bearings, I should upgrade to the longer stub halfshafts, correct?
To run the wider bearings, you need knuckles, hubs, bearings, and CV shafts (axles). Not worth it really, just get the 33mm bearings and be happy.

Maddog
2GN Member

Post by Maddog » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Danteneon wrote:
Maddog wrote:So, in a nut shell, if I want to run the '03+ bearings, I should upgrade to the longer stub halfshafts, correct?
To run the wider bearings, you need knuckles, hubs, bearings, and CV shafts (axles). Not worth it really, just get the 33mm bearings and be happy.
I am already happy, so I will just get the 33mm bearings lol

Thanks to all for your input :thumbup:
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Danteneon wrote:Yep, it says that too...
Lolz, that's what I get for rushed posting at work.

You could prolly use the 33mm knuckles, and put 6mm spacers under the retainer plate bolts, I really don't think the bearings are going to go anywhere being pressed in anyways.

But you are still replacing all the other stuff, so yeah, it isn't worth it, not for a DD.
Knocking on wood, I have close to 175,000 on the 33mm bearings, and they're not objecting to being part of the car - yet. They have outlived one of the rear bearings.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”