hollow sound in front suspension

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
1979cordoba
2GN Member

hollow sound in front suspension

Post by 1979cordoba » Mon May 21, 2012 7:57 pm

my 02 neon makes a hollow sound in the front suspension when i go over multiple bumps that are close together at low speed, less than 5mph i know the sway bar links are new,and it looks like the struts have been replaced at some time the car has about 135 thousand miles,all though the lower control arm bushing looks ok i'm thinking that might be the culprit, i don't think the lower ball joint would make this noise but i could be wrong i wanted to here from some folks here before i go ripping it apart, i had had a 05 that also made the same noise and never figured out what it was.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Mon May 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Sounds like it may be the strut mounts, it's a pretty common problem with neons. I think the lower control arm usually has a clunk to it when the bushings are bad. A ball joint will usually creak like a rusty hinge, but normally you can tell if it's leaking grease.

1979cordoba
2GN Member

Post by 1979cordoba » Tue May 22, 2012 1:58 pm

i just looked up the price for the front at rock auto, about 35 a piece how can i tell if that
's the part that is bad without taking it all apart?

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue May 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Front strut mounts are indeed common to make noise. Might be tough to narrow it down without pulling the strut assembly out though. If all the bushings, axles, ball joints check out, it's a good bet it's the mounts, especially at that mileage. When struts are replaced the mounts are typically reused, unless it's being done by someone who knows the car and the issues with the mounts, in which case they would have been replaced as a maintenance item.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Wed May 23, 2012 2:15 pm

A bad right motor mount can sometimes cause weird clunking noises that sound like a bad suspension component, but you would also have really bad vibrations inside the car. I doubt it's that, but you never know with these cars.

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”