Rear Brake problems, need input

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
ejclide
2GN Member

Rear Brake problems, need input

Post by ejclide » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 am

I'll start off explaining the setup. As some of you know I have an '05 with I think an '01 R/T rear disc setup. I did the swap a few years ago. Anyway, I've had no problems until recently. Lately I've had this annoying chatter coming from the back right wheel. So I finally dove into the back right brake today:

The first thing I noticed which solved my rattle problem was that the inner pad was worn unevenly and was just wiggling lose in the caliper. The spring was not keeping it tight in the caliper piston. But this leads to the bigger issue.

I was trying to figure out why this happened. The forward caliper pin moves freely with no issue, but the rear one has some nasty resistance when you try to slide it. So, I removed it and the rubber grommet/bellows, cleaned them THOROUGHLY, and regreased, then reinstalled. It's still not moving as easily as the other one. This leads me to believe this is the cause of the uneven pad wear and thus the spring being worn out and not holding the pad in the piston.

Does this sound like just a bad caliper to you guys? Or did I do something wrong in reassembly?

Also, I'm looking to upgrade to stainless lines. From what I've been reading the Russel SRT lines work on the 2gn rear discs, but I'm gonna have to buy the regular neon kit for my fronts. Anyone seen any other solution to this?
Last edited by ejclide on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:42 am

The rear discs on the SRT are the same as the ones on the R/T and ACR, except they're painted red; only the front brakes are different.

I could be wrong, but I think the brake line attachment points are the same between the SRT and base fronts, despite the calipers being different. It wouldn't hurt to call Modern and ask. They're pretty knowledgeable about their own products.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:41 am

So, I removed it and the rubber grommet/bellows, cleaned them THOROUGHLY, and regreased, then reinstalled.
How did the hole that the rubber goes into look? if it was rusted a bit, it may be pushing the rubber inward causing the pin to bind against the rubber.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:07 am

occasional demons wrote:How did the hole that the rubber goes into look? if it was rusted a bit, it may be pushing the rubber inward causing the pin to bind against the rubber.
I didn't get a good look in the hole. There was some residue on the rubber from rust inside that hole, So I guess I need to investigate that one a little more.

On a bright note, I'm willing to bet that my old manager at Advance will just swap it out no questions asked. I need to repaint anyway, so this will be a good opportunity! It's just really bugging me that I'm having this issue.

Thanks for the help Bill, and I will definitely look for rust when I get it apart again Monday.

And as of Monday, the car will officially finally be mine (title in my name! lol)
-Eric

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Well, I took the old caliper out, cleaned out the hole for the pin very well, even took sandpaper to it, but it still didn't get any easier. So I got a new caliper (for free, cause my old manager doesn't ask questions...)

on another note, I learned the hard way today that there are two different banjo bolt threads on the rear calipers. I think I made a total of 5 different trips to the parts store today including one to another city because our store didn't have the correct caliper.

Everything is working beautifully now though, keep fingers crossed.
-Eric

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”