ball joint or LCA bushings

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
kbobob
2GN Member

ball joint or LCA bushings

Post by kbobob » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:37 pm

hey guys...sorry ...I looked in the archives but not sure what it is.

2005 dodge sx 4spd

when going over bumps we are getting a clunk from the right front side. 1yr ago I had the outer tie rods replaced along with the LCA bushings. I had the mechanic(friend of the family) install the energy suspension bushings. I am not sure why, but he only replaced the vertical bushing and not the horizontal bushings. I have put the car up on a jack and wiggled the wheel a few times in each direction and looked around and nothing seemed to be wrong. Any suggestions as to whether its the horizontal bushing or the ball joint. I know on neons these are all common issues to have replaced (did them all on my old neon).

Well, out of an act of irony, the mechanic called me while I was typing this, I will have him take a look at it and let me know what he thinks.

thanks for the input
2001 neon LE (sport appearance package) - 212,000kms - steel blue - my car
2001 Neon LE - Base 95,000kms - salsa red - moms car
2005 Dodge SX2.0 sport - 97,000kms - inferno red - fiances car

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 am

If the vertical bushing is bad it's pretty easy to see. I have never had experience with the horizontal bushing going bad. I just always changed them when changing the vertical.

If you're sure the clunk is coming from the lower end of the strut, i.e. the control arm, then I'd look at the ball joint. Otherwise, if you're not so sure, give the strut and the strut mount a good lookover. I've had constant issues with stock strut mounts making noise constantly.
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”