sticking brake caliper

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
g_force58
2GN Member

sticking brake caliper

Post by g_force58 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 am

Saturday I noticed a hot brake smell while out with the family on a short drive. Sure enough, when I stopped to check things out, the left front rotor was smoking hot. I am going to try removing the caliper and lube the pins in an attempt to correct the problem. If not a reman caliper is only $33.99 from Oriellys with a limited lifetime warranty. Question is, should I just replace it instead of trying to fix it? a little worried the seals may be cooked from all the heat. Opinions anyone?
To Conquer or to Die

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 pm

before replacing the caliper I'd replace the brake hose. It's very common for them to go bad/collapse internally. I just had to replace one on my SRT a few months ago
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:19 pm

As far as the caliper goes, I would definitely just replace it. Look around too, Locally I can get one for about 25 reman. However, I would see how the pins are sliding before you put the new one on. Like sidepipe said it could very well be the brake hose.
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

g_force58
2GN Member

sticking brake caliper

Post by g_force58 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 pm

thanks guys for your response. Didn't even consider the brake hose, but then, that's why I asked for opinions. This is a strong forum with people that have experience. That is the reason I have made it my home. lol I will check the pins, clean them and lube them as well as checking the hose. will take it off and light check it and maybe run some vacuum tubing thru it to check for obstructions I can't see. Thank you both for the input.
To Conquer or to Die

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 pm

I had a caliper freeze up on my '02. I replaced the caliper and it was good to go. It was the only OEM part failure in the entire 100K I put on it.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Check the slider pins (that connect the caliper to the bracket). Of all the brake jobs I've done at our shop, this is one thing people tend to miss... And then those pins seize to the bracket and the caliper isn't able to move when the brakes are pressed.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

g_force58
2GN Member

sticking caliper

Post by g_force58 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18 pm

thanks guys for the input. I will check it out soon as I can get to it.
To Conquer or to Die

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Having spent more than a few hours beating the living shit out the pins last time to get them out, if it takes more than half an hour for $30 buy a new caliper and move on with life. I wasted way more than $30 of my time.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 pm

:lol:

Truth.

Reman calipers come with new slide pins, new boots for said slide pins. Even if it is the hose, chances are the piston boot is baked. You may also want to get fresh pads and rotors. The rotor may just start thumping on you from being overheated, and therefore warping.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”