Car "died" this morning

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
FormerlyREDRT_98
2GN Member

Car "died" this morning

Post by FormerlyREDRT_98 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Was on my way to work this morning in my '01. Traffic was slowiń down so I applied the brakes to slow down too and the car pulled to the right when I did, but then I could feel the front passenger side lock up. Eased off the brakes and that didn't do anything. Tried to pull over into the left turn lane to clear traffic since I was in the left lane but couldn't ge lt over far enough. I was blocking the left lane and the left turn lane. Got out of the car and saw that the wheel was cocked in an unnatural way. Waited a while for a tow truck and had it towed to the nearest dealer, which is the same dealer my brother-in-law is a service writer at. He had a tech push it in and put it on a lift. A few minutes later he had me walk back into the shop with him and we both saw what the tech had told my "bil" about...the cradle broke. Sure enough, the k-member snapped.

Luckily I just bought a '98 R/T yesterday. I was plannin on fixing some issues with the car before getting plates and title, but now I have to do that tomorrow and be late for work.

Going to salvage some aftermarket parts for the car and will be putting them up for sale soon
Current:
1998 Dodge Neon R/T coupe, Flame Red - Neon #6
2001 Dodge Neon ES, Patriot Blue - Neon #5
Gone:
1999 Dodge Neon Sport sedan, Black - Neon #4
1995 Dodge Neon Highline sedan, Brilliant Blue - Neon #3
1998 Dodge Neon R/T coupe, Flame Red - Neon #2
1997 Dodge Neon Highline sedan, Brilliant Blue - Neon #1

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 am

Glad that you were able to stop safely and not be in an accident. A broken K-frame is one of my worst nightmares. :runaway:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

FormerlyREDRT_98
2GN Member

Post by FormerlyREDRT_98 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am

Things could have turned out much worse, that's for sure. No accidents or injuries, only victim is the car.

But replacing the k-member is going to be too expensive and not worth it
Current:
1998 Dodge Neon R/T coupe, Flame Red - Neon #6
2001 Dodge Neon ES, Patriot Blue - Neon #5
Gone:
1999 Dodge Neon Sport sedan, Black - Neon #4
1995 Dodge Neon Highline sedan, Brilliant Blue - Neon #3
1998 Dodge Neon R/T coupe, Flame Red - Neon #2
1997 Dodge Neon Highline sedan, Brilliant Blue - Neon #1

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”