2001 ACR Camber Alignment Bolts to get -2.4deg???

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
MoparNeon2001
n00b

2001 ACR Camber Alignment Bolts to get -2.4deg???

Post by MoparNeon2001 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 am

I have a 01 factory correct full delete, 55,000 mile, ACR (1 of 8 white cars produced in the USA). This year I pulled it out of mothballs to run in the SCCA H stock class. Even with a novice like me behind the wheel the car is highly competitive with the factory setup. I found out that Dodge has "racing" alignment specs for the ACR. The service manual calls for a Mopar Camber Adjusting Bolt Package the is suppose to be an undersized bolt that allows for 1 degree of adjustment per bolt. With 2 bolts per strut you get 2 degrees & then the strut grind spec you can pick up the remainder of the -2.4 degrees of camber (frt end only). I ordered the pack which is supposedly part# 5019074AA. The bolts I received are basically the same size as the original one we removed from the car & will no way get me 1 degree per bolt. Does anyone know anything about the correct bolts that I would need? Or does anyone have the dimensional specs on the bolts so maybe I can match them to something in the Dodge parts bin? We ended up using Moog adjustment bolts to get -2.3 degrees. I believe I can still run in the stock class but I would like to put the correct Dodge Kit in the car to have it all original parts.-Ozzy

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 am

H stock with Rcomps or RTF? you read next years street class proposal right? I also think a base neon would be competative in STF... just havent had the chance to change my transmission back to a 3.55.

I wouldnt bother with branded bolts. your fine as especially if you stay within the -2.4 limit. Post the question to SCCAForums.com for clarification if you want. not many SCCA guys on this board.
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 am

Dante also has a Stone White 1 of 8 ACR.

Alignment specs

viewtopic.php?t=45615
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 am

Close, 1 of 31 (mine is a 2002 A/C car). If I had a factory non A/C 2002, I would be 1 of 5...super duper rare.

Carry on :lol:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 am

whoops! I was way off then! I was thinking license plate "1 of 8" didn't sound quite right for some reason :lol:

i re-read original post which i skimmed over

neons.org wrote:Q:How can I adjust camber on my Neon?
A: Other Neons can be modified to allow camber adjustment in several ways. The struts can be slotted as above; however, this is not SCCA-legal (in Stock classes) for non-ACR Neons. Another method, which is permitted for all Neons, is the use of the Mopar Camber Adjusting Bolt Package (front bolt p/n 4762135, about $20 for two). These are also known as "crash bolts" because they are used to bring damaged cars back into alignment spec. Crash bolts are round and slightly smaller in diameter than the originals, which allows the adjustment. One bolt in each strut will allow approximately -1 degree of camber. To get near the SCCA-mandated maximum of -2.4 degrees, you will need two bolts (top and bottom) in each strut. Additional camber can be gained by loosening the upper strut bolts and pushing the top inboard.
The crash bolts, being smaller than either cam bolts or the regular knurled bolts, should only be torqued to 140 ft/lbs. Torquing them any higher will stretch the bolts. Consequently, they are unable to generate the clamp load of the originals, and may slip under autocross conditions or with race tires. They should be acceptable for street use, however. I drive approximately 18,000 vigorous street miles a year, and have not experienced any slip in camber using the crash bolts.

There is an improvised fix to prevent crash bolt slippage that seems to work even for autocross: simply paint the lower strut clevice before installing the crash bolts, then tighten them down while the paint is still wet. Once dry, the paint adds enough friction to prevent slipping. Using contrasting colors will also highlight any slip that does occur. (This fix developed by Bud Collins and Phil Osbourne.)

As stated above, I recommend against negative camber at the rear. However, alignment settings are very much a matter of personal preference. Different rear crash bolts (p/n 4773957, about $16 for two) are available; two bolts are required per wheel. Note that putting the nut forward on the top bolt makes access easier for disc brake cars, since the caliper is not in the way. (Rear crash bolt information and tips courtesy of Jeff Blankenship.)

MoparNeon2001
n00b

Post by MoparNeon2001 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:32 am

You are correct there were 31 of white with the "convenience group package" with the AC. The were 8 "base" cars, like mine, in 01 & only 5 in 02. White wasn't very popular. I have spent the past couple years trying to put together any info I can find on the ACR package. I found mine on a used car lot in 2002 with 5,783 miles & paid right at $8,400 with sales tax. I bought it as a daily drive but have since then I retired it to my shop & pull it out on nice days or to take to the track. It's good to know there are still some ACRs out there. Hopefully they haven't been all been modified or put into a tree. I'd like to get a hold of another one & also a SRT-4 ACR if they were lower mileage.-Ozzy

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”