Confused about alignment...

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
iThane
2GN Member

Confused about alignment...

Post by iThane » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:12 pm

I just got my car aligned, and even though I only requested they adjust the toe, they aligned everything. Yes, that's generally a good thing, but I had the camber set to a degree per my liking. After being told they adjusted everything, I took a close look at my tires and they still seemed to have negative camber, as if they never touched it.. Soooo did they not adjust the camber, or am I just not understanding what camber is?
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

ragek23
2GN Member

Post by ragek23 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:12 am

If you previously had negative camber wear on the tires its not going to go away since you ate the rubber away. over time it will be more even wear throughout the tires. If you don't have a camber correction kit or coil overs I don't believe you can adjust the camber much or even at all. its mostly just toe. This is normal on most cars.

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:42 pm

FWIW, KYB struts still have the adjustable bottom slot built into them, at least for the 1gn's, not sure about the 2gn's.

I would have given them hell, and at least gotten a huge discount for not following your instructions.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:41 am

occasional demons wrote:I would have given them hell, and at least gotten a huge discount for not following your instructions.
Didn't even have to say much and they only charged me for the toe, which is all I requested :lol:

I currently have D2 coilovers with the pillow top mounts with adjustable camber. I should have specified when I said I could still see camber when I stood behind the car and could visually see the wheels were tilted after they "adjusted" the camber. It doesn't look like they changed anything camber wise, but they claimed to have "fixed" it.
My Progress Log

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:46 am

Did they give you a print out of the before and after specs?
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:51 pm

I asked and the mechanic said he already cleared it from the computer.. Guess I'll just have to remove the front bumper or raise the car up for alignments from now on because they were the only shop in town with a flat lift that the car could fit on. She ain't even that low :lol:
My Progress Log

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Changing the height changes the geometry, so you'd have to realign every single time. Unless you raised it up and left it, it would be a wasted effort.
el. oh. el.

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:18 pm

what did you have your camber set to originally? maybe if fell within spec so they didn't mess with it
in the middle of a DOHC and MTX swap and going with an ASP kit pwered by the S259 batmowheel

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”