Tie rod changing

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
lil b-z
n00b

Tie rod changing

Post by lil b-z » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:12 pm

1st please don't flame me if asked before. I just finished up changing both inner and outer tie rods, passenger side front knuckle. After getting done and putting the car on the street I noticed the steering wheel was turning every which way. My first though I am on snow so I get to a clear street and my scooter (neon) is everywhere, I leave the wheel straight it's swerving. I put the wheel to 10oclock hit a bump the car goes left wheel jumps to 2oclock, I turn the wheel like I'm making a right turn just to straight out the car.

I know I'm gonna have to get an alinement to straighten out the wheel but is that a sign of it being out of Aline or did i f@$k something up?

The steering rack boot that was over the inner tie rod I know protects from dirt and etc. but does it hold pressure or any thing. I noticed the smaller clamp on the inside of the boot went over the end of the boot and also capped a small pipe on the bottom of the rack, does it hold pressure or fluid .

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Thats a sign of it being out of alignment. Get a good alignment and all those problems will go away!
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:20 pm

First of all, what year is the car, and is it ATX or MTX, and what car did the knuckle come off of, and MTX or ATX car?

The ATX and MTX knuckles are different as far as how the outer tie rod is located in the knuckle arm. If you got the wrong one, you will never get it aligned properly.

Why they did this, I have no idea, but it is what it is.

The inner tie rods are also different lengths between the MTX and ATX cars. You need to match those to the transaxle type too. Most chain stores only carry the ATX inner tie rods.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:01 am

go straight to the alignment shop. dont try to drive with it like that. trust me if you dont put the tie rod back just as u took it off then the alignment is all messed up and once its brought into spec it will be fine.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:43 am

If the wrong knuckle is on there, it will either turn slower, or faster than the other one. An alignment will do nothing to change that.

The only time it will steer properly, is in a straight line, otherwise the tires will be fighting each other in a turn. Whichever one gains better traction at that moment, will be the way the car goes.

Probably similar to driving a 4wd on dry pavement with the transfer case and differentials locked. Things aren't going to be happy.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”