Rear Strut assembly/Shock position

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
Albius
2GN Member

Rear Strut assembly/Shock position

Post by Albius » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi there.

Today I was driving to the job and I heard some little noises like grazing/scrapping, especially in irregular fields. No strange behavior on good conditions streets.

The curious thing is that I really don't remember my struts in this particular position:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Should be there as the normal position? I see them near of the tire.
I don't carry anything in the trunk but the spare tire and that basic stuff, nothing heavier than that.

Can you guys tell if there is something wrong with the rear suspension of my car? Is a 2005.

Thanks in advance for your help.
..:: Albius ::..

neongirl87
2GN Member

Post by neongirl87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:48 pm

did it sound like a large spring snapped? because i have front and rear strut bars and when i turn the wheel sometimes when parking there is a loud snap like sound like a spring

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:31 pm

The car would sit lower if a spring broke. The struts will not change position, unless they are damaged, or rusted through, or the clevis bolts are loose.

The snapping neongirl is hearing may be the front upper mount binding. If the bearing is bad, the mount will not let the spring seat pivot smoothly. It could also be the spring snapping back, as the strut turns, pulling on the top of the spring due to the stress of the bad bearing.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Neongirl87:I did not hear something loud while I am rolling. Nothing snapping loud.

As you guys can see, the struts are really near of the up side of the tire, probably that's why I hear noises just some times. I could not find visible marks in the tire to say that the struts are touching it.

The car has not lower rear part than the forward one, is in the same height in a simple view.

Where can I start to look over?
Could be an Alignment needed?
..:: Albius ::..

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”