Power steering fluid hose

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Power steering fluid hose

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:06 pm

I remember several members mentioning a supply hose at Carlisle this summer when my car popped a nut and dumped its fluid. I found a 25 cent piece-sized puddle of new fluid on the garage floor this morning and was wondering if the hose could be the source or if I missed the reservoir mouth when I topped it off a few weeks ago. Mario provided a funnel to me when repairs were made to the steering gear in July but maybe I was overzealous when topping it off after returning from Carlisle. I put some kitty litter down on the spot and will keep an eye on it. I will admit to being very paranoid about power steering fluid after the incident this summer but maybe it's nothing. [-o<
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Power steering fluid hose

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 am

If the puddle was under the PS reservoir, or mainly on the passenger side, then I would suspect some missing the target. It could have run down the hose a bit before dripping off. If it is near the center of the car, about where the rack is...

The pressure hose on my '01 has weeped fluid out of the rubber part since I owned it. I haven't checked to see if it is still available from FCA. Not holding my breath, I'm sure they would like neons to disappear as much as Diamler did. But given it has seeped fluid, probably from day one, I guess I can't do much worse with an aftermarket hose.

It is more of an annoyance than a problem, as it doesn't weep enough to really drop the fluid, just enough that it is always oily, so you can't do anything near there without getting an oily arm.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 am

occasional demons wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 am
If the puddle was under the PS reservoir, or mainly on the passenger side, then I would suspect some missing the target. It could have run down the hose a bit before dripping off. If it is near the center of the car, about where the rack is...
Yes, the passenger side. That's why I was thinking that perhaps some fluid missed the funnel when I was topping off the reservoir.

You wouldn't happen to have a part number for the hose, would you? Perhaps I should add a new one to my parts stash.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:16 pm

I could look it up when I get home.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to find it for me. If there are any related gaskets or clips, I would also like their part numbers.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=64863&p=1016106#p1016106

Edit: 5290977AE
LINE-POWER STEERING PRESSURE AND RETURN

Mopar 5290977AE LINE-POWER STEERING PRESSURE AND RETURN
Part Description HOSE ASSEMBLY P/S PRESSURE AND RETURN

This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase.

Discontinued Part

Power Steering Pressure Hose - Mopar (5290977AF)
List Price: $390.00
You Save: $132.60 (34% off)
Sale Price: $257.40

https://www.wholesalemopar.com/oem-part ... OTc3QUU%3D

I would call of course, if you feel the need to spend that much...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Thank you for including the link about the other parts- I had missed that.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:31 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 pm
Thank you for including the link about the other parts- I had missed that.

It didn't have any info in it until last night. Somehow it got missed, or later info lost when the site rebooted.

I just lumped everything related into the response.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks again for the info. I bought a new hose assembly yesterday afternoon.

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”